Used 2000 Jaguar S-Type Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Jaguar S-type - Consumer Reviews

2000 Jaguar S-Type

View reviews for a specific S-Type model:

My first Jag
By Patti Tolbert

2000 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used and also took out an extended warranty after hearing some scary stories about Jags. But after fixing some initial problems, I have had nothing but great fun and reliability from this car! Everyone loves the way it looks of course. And I drive a lot so the comfort of the ride is something that I really appreciate. I have had an MG in the past so I was used to "babying" a car and expected to have to baby the Jag, but it has been babying ME!!

Favorite Features

Looks of course! Comfort of the ride, great paint job.

Suggested Improvements

Window mechanism is weak and breaks easily; the car is hard to get out of park on an incline. I hope they don't still put the CD player in the glovebox; bad brake dust problem on the front wheels.

Aging Badly
By David

2000 Jaguar S-Type 4.0 4dr Sedan

We have absolutely loved this car, and up until now, marveled at how much Ford's ownership had improved the reliability of the marque (vis a vis Jaguar's reputation in the 1980s). At five years of age, window channels and other relatively minor things broke that would never have failed in some other automobiles. Most recently, with less than 40,000 miles on the odometer, we got to pay $2,400+ for a transmission rebuild. It was explained that there is a "braking mechanism" in the transmission that helped slow the car when the foot was lifted aff of the accelerator. Ford has improved Jaguar's reputation from their former deplorable reputation up to Ford's mediocre at best reliability.

Favorite Features

Styling, 4 Litre V8 is hot, suspension is the perfect balance between sport and luxury. Starting the car, the dials and engine come to life as only British cars do. Sedan made by a sports car manufacturer.

$60,000. Hunk o' JUNK
By anyjoe

2000 Jaguar S-Type 4.0 4dr Sedan

I have owned about 15 cars since I was 16 years old. The Jaguar was purchased new for $60k. It needed internal engine work @ 8K mi, 12K, 20K and 50Kmi. When I got it home from the last engine overhaul ($1800) the radiator started leaking. After that the transmission staarted downshifting on the freeway. At 60,000 mi I had to dump it. It was a VERY expensive mistake. DO NOT BUY ONE.

2000 S-Type Jaguar 3.0
By Gerry Jackson

2000 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan

This is my third used Jaguar since 2000. Each one was 6 years old when I purchased them. They have each been better as the years went on. Build quality in the 2000 is much better than my 1994 SJ6. It is a very comfortable car (my wife reminds me of this regularly) and has lots of bells and whistles. We enjoy the heated front seats this time of year (January) and the moon roof in the summer. The car is plenty fast enought for me and as long as I stay around 75 miles an hour, fuel economy is good. So far the car has cost me $0 in maintenance (dealer looks after all fluids for first 2 years). They replaced two burned out lower beam lights no charge. Lights are on all the time.

Favorite Features

Heated front seats, CD player and sound system. Leather seats and driver memory for seat position. Size is perfect. Easy to park.

Suggested Improvements

Only thing missing is rear sensors when backing up. Beleive they were added as standard on the 2001 models and up.

Perfect choice
By duckbillgrill

2000 Jaguar S-Type 4.0 4dr Sedan

Bought the car with 60,000 miles. The car was in mint condition. GPS, voice activation controls, cd player, all the extras worked great like they were advertised. Car turns heads everywhere. All women say it's their dream car. V8 is strong, suspension a little tight, but it has the sports package which might explain it. Only mechanical problems was the thermostat stuck closed causing it to overheat.

Favorite Features

Overall appearance, the interior options, and the fact that everyone who sees it wants to talk about it.