2000 Jaguar S-Type - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Type model:
Terrible Car
By Hulloimadam on 10/11/09 19:15 PM (PDT)

2000 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan

We bought this car a while ago for around 56K... We sold it for 12k. The worst car every owned by far. Don't get me wrong it's beautiful but other than that it stinks. We now have a mercedes s class that's 837264517635 times better than this car. Let's face it... THE BRITISH CANNOT MAKE CARS!!! Oh! and we had a whopping five trannys in it and it spews blue smoke!!!

A Beautiful Piece of Crudd...
By Doug on 09/30/09 07:59 AM (PDT)

2000 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan

I purchased this 2000 S type 3.0 several years ago with less than 40K miles on it. It's an absolutely beautiful car and I still get compliments from strangers. IF they only knew what sort of NIGHTMARE this car is mechanically. From cheap front headlights, to constant leaks, continued engine trouble, poor brakes and constant repair bills. I'm looking to dump this car as soon as it makes sense monetarily. DO NOT buy a 2000 Jag S Type from any dealer. At first, you'll love you car ... but eventually you'll regret the day you drove it off the lot.

Love My Jag!
By DeeMo on 03/29/09 17:47 PM (PDT)

2000 Jaguar S-Type 4.0 4dr Sedan

Purchased brand new, and it was money well spent. Invested in additional options e.g. interior wood package, chrome rims and body chrome.... and with the Jag being Black.... it remains a head turner. I have owned and continue to own many luxury cars, as well. Within the past two years, the only out of pocket expenses paid were for a cracked windshield fluid container, oil pan gasket, ignition coil set replacement, and the interior roof fabric had to be redone. My Jag has been reliable, and it is fun to drive. It is a definite keeper! And it is now 2009.

Run far from this car - don't do it
By nkarr on 09/19/08 07:28 AM (PDT)

2000 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan

Worst purchase of my life. 55k when purchased and 6 months later I have less than 60k and have had the car in the shop more than 5 times. Replaced evaporator, condenser, 2 coils with the need to still replace the others. Both back windows quit working. One of them falls down. Idles rough probably because of the coils. Trans doesn't shift correctly. Interior compartment door latch broke. Entire dash taken out to repair freon leak. Total cost has been over 2k in repairs without fixing some of the outstanding problems. Every time I see a car like this I say "but isn't it pretty". In other words if you want a car that looks great but runs like crap then buy this car. If you value your money don't.

2000 Jaguar S-Type
By Dan on 07/13/07 17:21 PM (PDT)

2000 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan

Smooth body style with smooth driving control and chrome Jaguar rims to add to the great looks.

My first Jag
By Patti Tolbert on 05/18/07 05:51 AM (PDT)

2000 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used and also took out an extended warranty after hearing some scary stories about Jags. But after fixing some initial problems, I have had nothing but great fun and reliability from this car! Everyone loves the way it looks of course. And I drive a lot so the comfort of the ride is something that I really appreciate. I have had an MG in the past so I was used to "babying" a car and expected to have to baby the Jag, but it has been babying ME!!

Aging Badly
By David on 04/07/07 13:11 PM (PDT)

2000 Jaguar S-Type 4.0 4dr Sedan

We have absolutely loved this car, and up until now, marveled at how much Ford's ownership had improved the reliability of the marque (vis a vis Jaguar's reputation in the 1980s). At five years of age, window channels and other relatively minor things broke that would never have failed in some other automobiles. Most recently, with less than 40,000 miles on the odometer, we got to pay $2,400+ for a transmission rebuild. It was explained that there is a "braking mechanism" in the transmission that helped slow the car when the foot was lifted aff of the accelerator. Ford has improved Jaguar's reputation from their former deplorable reputation up to Ford's mediocre at best reliability.

$60,000. Hunk o' JUNK
By anyjoe on 02/20/07 17:36 PM (PST)

2000 Jaguar S-Type 4.0 4dr Sedan

I have owned about 15 cars since I was 16 years old. The Jaguar was purchased new for $60k. It needed internal engine work @ 8K mi, 12K, 20K and 50Kmi. When I got it home from the last engine overhaul ($1800) the radiator started leaking. After that the transmission staarted downshifting on the freeway. At 60,000 mi I had to dump it. It was a VERY expensive mistake. DO NOT BUY ONE.

2000 S-Type Jaguar 3.0
By Gerry Jackson on 01/21/07 06:57 AM (PST)

2000 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan

This is my third used Jaguar since 2000. Each one was 6 years old when I purchased them. They have each been better as the years went on. Build quality in the 2000 is much better than my 1994 SJ6. It is a very comfortable car (my wife reminds me of this regularly) and has lots of bells and whistles. We enjoy the heated front seats this time of year (January) and the moon roof in the summer. The car is plenty fast enought for me and as long as I stay around 75 miles an hour, fuel economy is good. So far the car has cost me $0 in maintenance (dealer looks after all fluids for first 2 years). They replaced two burned out lower beam lights no charge. Lights are on all the time.

Perfect choice
By duckbillgrill on 08/05/06 08:55 AM (PDT)

2000 Jaguar S-Type 4.0 4dr Sedan

Bought the car with 60,000 miles. The car was in mint condition. GPS, voice activation controls, cd player, all the extras worked great like they were advertised. Car turns heads everywhere. All women say it's their dream car. V8 is strong, suspension a little tight, but it has the sports package which might explain it. Only mechanical problems was the thermostat stuck closed causing it to overheat.