Used 2000 Jaguar S-Type Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Jaguar S-Type - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Type model:

Run from the 2000 S-type 3.0
By S Type Owner

2000 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan

After reading the other reviews in here (very few of which were positive) I can concur with almost everything. This car, though gorgeous, is a mechanical nightmare. I bought mine used, it's almost paid off, and I will get rid of it asap. If you ever by an s- type 3.0, you'd better have a great warranty to fix the common issues seen on almost all s types eventually: (coils fail, o2 sensors fail, coolant seals fail, headlights fail, headliner falls, oil leaks, transmission problems, weak brakes, plastic parts eventually fail, rear window tracks fail.) if you do your research (like I should have) you'll see negative comments all over the web about this model car. Buy it if you can afford many repairs!

Comfortable ride, 3.0 has strong acceleration (when working), nice styling, good interior room, good trunk space, comfortable seats, strong air conditioner.

The only improvement would be that this car had been built in a quality manner to begin with. It did not. Although Jaguar is now owned by an Indian company, Ford owned Jag when this car was build. The lack of quality is equivalent to the poor quality of Fords cars in that decade.

A Beautiful piece of crap!
By vballer1

2000 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan

I bought this vehicle with 90,000 miles on it as a back up vehicle, but simply fell in love with it. It rides so smooth that we ended up driving it more and more, unfortunately it has too many issues; the transmission being the main one. Also the fail safe engine mode light comes on once a month, it seems like and it's always a $400-500 repair. You have to get it fixed b/c if you don't your car can shut down and just go 15 mph; not something you want to happen when you are on the interstate. Beautiful vehicle, but too much of a headache!

Exterior design, I get complements all the time about how nice the vehicle looks, too bad it's so unreliable

Better Quality! Expensive does not equal quality! All repairs for this vehicle are expensive and it seems like they all constantly have to be redone.

Still Lovin' My JAG
By Dee

2000 Jaguar S-Type 4.0 4dr Sedan

I bought this Jaguar brand new when the commercials first appeared on tv. I traded a brand new Lexus SUV with less than 4000 miles for this classic, sleek and gorgeously styled "Cat". Needless to say it was love at first sight. There have been very few mechanical problems (none which have kept me from enjoying the great performance of this car). And I can honestly say I have enjoyed the ride.

Powerful performance, quiet, comfortable, relaxing highway experience, beautiful eye-catching exterior design, and awesome audio system.

No longer in production...does not matter.

Love my Jag!
By Linda

2000 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 Jag S-Type in 2008 with only 30,000 original miles. It now has 57K but has had some AC/Heater problems fortunately covered by the extended warranty which cost close to 4,300 to repair. The sensor in the gas tank seems to cause the Check Engine light to come on and off when the tank is full or empty. So I live with that knowing that there is a sensitive problem with the CE light and gas tank. The car is a real eye catcher and the ride is so smooth. I love the way the car seems to hug you too. My only concern is that I have left my car and come back and found my windows down and sunroof open. My husband believes me now since it happened to him also. Weird. I still love my Jag!

The leather interior and burl woodgrain is very nice feature. Love the looks and the looks I get driving it.

Find out why the windows and sunroof have a mind of its own. Hoping it doesn't rain next time they go down by themselves. Sensor in gas tank to be less sensitive also.

Love it - Hate it - Don't buy it!
By Karl in Florida

2000 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan

I fell in love with the lines and appearance of the S-Type when they first came out, so I bought a used one several years ago with less than 40k miles on it. That's where the love affair ended. This car (as are most S-Types) quickly became a mechanical nightmare (and I take care of my cars and am an easy driver). With less than 12k miles on it, I had issues with the brakes, coolant leak, gasket leak, radiator leak, failed headlights, issues with front brakes, failed cig lighter, failed O2Sensor, failed catalyst...the list never stops. Jag quality was bad, but Ford didn't help!

In spite of the mounting mechanical issues, I love the look of the car. It still catches eyes and comments... if they only knew how expensive it was to keep on the road, they'd look the other way. Also, I can't complain about the mileage (when the engine runs that is). I get 30 mpg highway.

Improved quality would have been nice. This could have been a benchmark car for Jaguar, but they blew it.