Used 2000 Jaguar S-Type Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Jaguar S-type - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Type model:

Bought it 3 years ago with 139,000 miles
By catcrazy3

2000 Jaguar S-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr Sedan

The only thing I have spent on is oil changes, worn brakes, tires, or general maintenance. This car even with the high mileage rides very very good. It is quiet and rides smoothly. It is aesthetically well proportioned and luxurious. I will say it isn't economical on gas. It also doesn't hug the road like my Volvo 950. It is solid feeling and I am enjoying the ride. I now have about 178,000 miles.

Favorite Features

great sound system, comfortable seats. spacious interior.

Suggested Improvements

could get better gas mileage

Worst car I ever owned!!!
By jimjr11

2000 Jaguar S-Type Sedan 4.0 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 S-Type 4.0 new and have spent a fortune on it and had many days in the shop while still warranted as well. Don't believer I ever got out fr less than $800. I can count on one hand how many people have ever sat in the back seat, that window never is used, yet I'm on my fourth window raising device. The car leaks and three trips to the shop they can't find the source carpet If the car stalls right after starting, it will never start again, have had it towed four times. Ball joints gone at 70k, trunk has leaked since it was new. the gas release has stopped three times, the mirrors don't adjust and there's a rattle in the center of the dash they can't find a solution for.

Favorite Features

Goes fast, whenever it decides to go

Suggested Improvements

Don't make any more jags, they're always at the bottom of the ratings

Looks amazing, quality is the worst of all-time
By jaketthomas

2000 Jaguar S-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr Sedan

I always loved the looks of Jaguars. I always wanted one. I bought a 2000 S-Type with 48k miles on it. Thought, I can't go wrong! From day 1, every, oh, I'd say 30-45 days, the check engine light comes on. Yes, needs a repair, whether it be minor or major about once a month, on average. Ignition Coils, 4 catalytic converters, oxygen sensor, the Heat completely stopped working twice, Gearbox went, had a bizarre problem with my rear brakes, CD changer shorted out, cigarette lighter blows fuses once a month, rear windows don't go down, one back door doesn't shut all the way... I could literally go on and on. This car is the biggest piece of crap imaginable.

Favorite Features

Looks amazing. One of the nicest looking cars on the road. Looks like a $100,000 car. It drives very nice when everything is working, but that's rare.

Cheap broken plastic bits everywhere
By Aardvark

2000 Jaguar S-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr Sedan

Pretty car, atrocious build quality, not so much assembly, but the cheapest garbage plastic everywhere. Inside trim pieces break, but worse, crappy plastic in critical components, including transmission shift gate and window lifts necessitating unreasonably expensive repairs to replace cheap broken parts. Brakes mushy with expensive pads and rotors, front suspension is a disaster. Tie rod ends, hubs, ball joints all made out of crap and need replacement. So if you're lucky, you won't need to do what everybody else has had to: replace the transmission, front end, a/c and heat components, engine coils, window regulators, etc. AND DON'T SLAM THE DOORS. Your window regulators will break.

Favorite Features

Pretty to look at.

Suggested Improvements

Stop making this car (oh, I guess somebody was listening).

Run from the 2000 S-type 3.0
By S Type Owner

2000 Jaguar S-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr Sedan

After reading the other reviews in here (very few of which were positive) I can concur with almost everything. This car, though gorgeous, is a mechanical nightmare. I bought mine used, it's almost paid off, and I will get rid of it asap. If you ever by an s- type 3.0, you'd better have a great warranty to fix the common issues seen on almost all s types eventually: (coils fail, o2 sensors fail, coolant seals fail, headlights fail, headliner falls, oil leaks, transmission problems, weak brakes, plastic parts eventually fail, rear window tracks fail.) if you do your research (like I should have) you'll see negative comments all over the web about this model car. Buy it if you can afford many repairs!

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride, 3.0 has strong acceleration (when working), nice styling, good interior room, good trunk space, comfortable seats, strong air conditioner.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement would be that this car had been built in a quality manner to begin with. It did not. Although Jaguar is now owned by an Indian company, Ford owned Jag when this car was build. The lack of quality is equivalent to the poor quality of Fords cars in that decade.