2000 Jaguar S-Type Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Type model:
Bought it 3 years ago with 139,000 miles
By catcrazy3 on 11/01/12 17:59 PM (PDT)

2000 Jaguar S-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr Sedan

The only thing I have spent on is oil changes, worn brakes, tires, or general maintenance. This car even with the high mileage rides very very good. It is quiet and rides smoothly. It is aesthetically well proportioned and luxurious. I will say it isn't economical on gas. It also doesn't hug the road like my Volvo 950. It is solid feeling and I am enjoying the ride. I now have about 178,000 miles.

Worst car I ever owned!!!
By jimjr11 on 08/20/11 19:54 PM (PDT)

2000 Jaguar S-Type Sedan 4.0 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 S-Type 4.0 new and have spent a fortune on it and had many days in the shop while still warranted as well. Don't believer I ever got out fr less than $800. I can count on one hand how many people have ever sat in the back seat, that window never is used, yet I'm on my fourth window raising device. The car leaks and three trips to the shop they can't find the source carpet If the car stalls right after starting, it will never start again, have had it towed four times. Ball joints gone at 70k, trunk has leaked since it was new. the gas release has stopped three times, the mirrors don't adjust and there's a rattle in the center of the dash they can't find a solution for.

Looks amazing, quality is the worst of all-time
By jaketthomas on 05/11/11 16:04 PM (PDT)

2000 Jaguar S-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr Sedan

I always loved the looks of Jaguars. I always wanted one. I bought a 2000 S-Type with 48k miles on it. Thought, I can't go wrong! From day 1, every, oh, I'd say 30-45 days, the check engine light comes on. Yes, needs a repair, whether it be minor or major about once a month, on average. Ignition Coils, 4 catalytic converters, oxygen sensor, the Heat completely stopped working twice, Gearbox went, had a bizarre problem with my rear brakes, CD changer shorted out, cigarette lighter blows fuses once a month, rear windows don't go down, one back door doesn't shut all the way... I could literally go on and on. This car is the biggest piece of crap imaginable.

Cheap broken plastic bits everywhere
By Aardvark on 11/11/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Jaguar S-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr Sedan

Pretty car, atrocious build quality, not so much assembly, but the cheapest garbage plastic everywhere. Inside trim pieces break, but worse, crappy plastic in critical components, including transmission shift gate and window lifts necessitating unreasonably expensive repairs to replace cheap broken parts. Brakes mushy with expensive pads and rotors, front suspension is a disaster. Tie rod ends, hubs, ball joints all made out of crap and need replacement. So if you're lucky, you won't need to do what everybody else has had to: replace the transmission, front end, a/c and heat components, engine coils, window regulators, etc. AND DON'T SLAM THE DOORS. Your window regulators will break.

Run from the 2000 S-type 3.0
By S Type Owner on 07/15/10 10:05 AM (PDT)

2000 Jaguar S-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr Sedan

After reading the other reviews in here (very few of which were positive) I can concur with almost everything. This car, though gorgeous, is a mechanical nightmare. I bought mine used, it's almost paid off, and I will get rid of it asap. If you ever by an s- type 3.0, you'd better have a great warranty to fix the common issues seen on almost all s types eventually: (coils fail, o2 sensors fail, coolant seals fail, headlights fail, headliner falls, oil leaks, transmission problems, weak brakes, plastic parts eventually fail, rear window tracks fail.) if you do your research (like I should have) you'll see negative comments all over the web about this model car. Buy it if you can afford many repairs!

A Beautiful piece of crap!
By vballer1 on 07/07/10 09:40 AM (PDT)

2000 Jaguar S-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr Sedan

I bought this vehicle with 90,000 miles on it as a back up vehicle, but simply fell in love with it. It rides so smooth that we ended up driving it more and more, unfortunately it has too many issues; the transmission being the main one. Also the fail safe engine mode light comes on once a month, it seems like and it's always a $400-500 repair. You have to get it fixed b/c if you don't your car can shut down and just go 15 mph; not something you want to happen when you are on the interstate. Beautiful vehicle, but too much of a headache!

Still Lovin' My JAG
By Dee on 03/06/10 17:23 PM (PST)

2000 Jaguar S-Type Sedan 4.0 4dr Sedan

I bought this Jaguar brand new when the commercials first appeared on tv. I traded a brand new Lexus SUV with less than 4000 miles for this classic, sleek and gorgeously styled "Cat". Needless to say it was love at first sight. There have been very few mechanical problems (none which have kept me from enjoying the great performance of this car). And I can honestly say I have enjoyed the ride.

Love my Jag!
By Linda on 02/10/10 13:26 PM (PST)

2000 Jaguar S-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 Jag S-Type in 2008 with only 30,000 original miles. It now has 57K but has had some AC/Heater problems fortunately covered by the extended warranty which cost close to 4,300 to repair. The sensor in the gas tank seems to cause the Check Engine light to come on and off when the tank is full or empty. So I live with that knowing that there is a sensitive problem with the CE light and gas tank. The car is a real eye catcher and the ride is so smooth. I love the way the car seems to hug you too. My only concern is that I have left my car and come back and found my windows down and sunroof open. My husband believes me now since it happened to him also. Weird. I still love my Jag!

Love it - Hate it - Don't buy it!
By Karl in Florida on 11/18/09 11:59 AM (PST)

2000 Jaguar S-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr Sedan

I fell in love with the lines and appearance of the S-Type when they first came out, so I bought a used one several years ago with less than 40k miles on it. That's where the love affair ended. This car (as are most S-Types) quickly became a mechanical nightmare (and I take care of my cars and am an easy driver). With less than 12k miles on it, I had issues with the brakes, coolant leak, gasket leak, radiator leak, failed headlights, issues with front brakes, failed cig lighter, failed O2Sensor, failed catalyst...the list never stops. Jag quality was bad, but Ford didn't help!

Timeless design, is aging well
By jkirk on 11/17/09 13:22 PM (PST)

2000 Jaguar S-Type Sedan 4.0 4dr Sedan

The classic S Jag still elicits "it's gorgeous" comments. Looks aside, car performs on par with today's peers...powerful, quiet, and with excellent road manners. The Jag (knock on wood...and there is plenty to knock on) has been reliable with only one issue (radio went out).