Used 2000 Jaguar S-Type Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Jaguar S-Type - Consumer Reviews

2000 Jaguar S-Type

View reviews for a specific S-Type model:

Incredible
By Nookpad

2000 Jaguar S-Type 4.0 4dr Sedan

I don't understand why people dislike these cars so much. I believe it boils down to the attitude of the owner. A 2000 Honda Civic driver says they have the most reliable car ever and they love it ( 2 of the windows don't roll down, interior is falling apart but it still starts stops and gets them places so therefore it's great.) Meanwhile you ask a 2000 jag owner and a window stops rolling down and its the worst car they've ever owned.
THE CAR IS 15 YEARS OLD ITS GOING TO HAVE A FEW ISSUES!
So far the only thing I've had to do to my S-Type is replace a window regulator ($30) and replace the MAF sensor ($30) both of which I did myself. It is RWD so it absolutely sucks in the snow but I got sedan chains that make it drive great during the winter. I feel that jag owners want to scare people off with expensive repair bills just because they believe they are too good for everyone else to drive one.
Obviously if you don't care about the quality and enjoyment of owning a nice car by all means go for the Honda Civic. It will be easier for you to fix yourself if something happens and it is more fuel efficient. However, if you enjoy a fast fun luxury car the Jaguar s-type is amazing!

Rear view mirror problems
By Linda Soto

2000 Jaguar S-Type 4.0 4dr Sedan

Has anyone else had rear view mirror problems on a 2000 type S model? My rear view mirror allows me to see the back seat, not out the back window. Is there a solution? This problem ruins the enjoyment of driving this car.

Bought it 3 years ago with 139,000 miles
By catcrazy3

2000 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan

The only thing I have spent on is oil changes, worn brakes, tires, or general maintenance. This car even with the high mileage rides very very good. It is quiet and rides smoothly. It is aesthetically well proportioned and luxurious.
I will say it isn't economical on gas. It also doesn't hug the road like my Volvo 950. It is solid feeling and I am enjoying the ride. I now have about 178,000 miles.

great sound system, comfortable seats. spacious interior.

could get better gas mileage

Worst car I ever owned!!!
By jimjr11

2000 Jaguar S-Type 4.0 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 S-Type 4.0 new and have spent a fortune on it and had many days in the shop while still
warranted as well.
Don't believer I ever got out fr less than $800. I can count on one
hand how many people have ever sat in the back seat, that window never is used, yet I'm on my fourth window raising device.

The car leaks and three trips to the shop they can't find the source carpet

If the car stalls right after starting, it will never start again, have had it towed four times.

Ball joints gone at 70k, trunk has leaked since it was new. the gas release has stopped three times, the mirrors don't adjust and there's a rattle in the center of the dash they can't find a solution for.

Goes fast, whenever it decides to go

Don't make any more jags, they're always at the bottom of the ratings

Looks amazing, quality is the worst of all-time
By jaketthomas

2000 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan

I always loved the looks of Jaguars.
I always wanted one. I bought a 2000 S-Type with 48k miles on it. Thought, I can't go wrong! From day 1, every, oh, I'd say 30-45 days, the check engine light comes on. Yes, needs a repair, whether it be minor or major about once a month, on average. Ignition Coils, 4 catalytic converters, oxygen sensor, the Heat completely stopped working twice, Gearbox went, had a bizarre problem with my rear brakes, CD changer shorted out, cigarette lighter blows fuses once a month, rear windows don't go down, one back door doesn't shut all the way... I could literally go on and on.
This car is the biggest piece of crap imaginable.

Looks amazing. One of the nicest looking cars on the road. Looks like a $100,000 car. It drives very nice when everything is working, but that's rare.