Used 2000 Isuzu VehiCROSS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Isuzu VehiCROSS - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.5L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (7 reviews )

Fun Car, Timless Style
By AStewart

2000 Isuzu VehiCROSS 2dr SUV 4WD

It is one of those like it or hate it kind of cars, I wanted this car the first time that I saw it. The style attracted me to it and after driving it I was hooked. The SUV or PUV "Performance utility vehicle" (as some call it) is a blast to drive! Plenty of power and sports car like handing makes it hard to believe it is an SUV. The all wheel full time drive is awesome on wet or snowy roads and the Recaro seats are very nice when sporting around corners.

I would say the styling is my favorite feature. This car is 10 years old and I still have people that will come up look at the V and ask "Is that the new ISUZU"?

I have three main complaints on the Vehicross. First - The Power windows are horrible! Second - Rear Seat entry you have to be a contortionist to get in the back seat. Third - Rear window is useless need to install a backup camera.

What You Want?
By Delta D

2000 Isuzu VehiCROSS 2dr SUV 4WD

In your face fashion statement for some - but underneath its heart is covered in mud. I'm from Africa and worked as Expedition Guide for several years. We travel Africa's worst roads year round - from Cape Town (southern tip of Africa) all the way up as far as Egypt, through the deserts and jungles (which makes the Darienne Gap look like a normal workday in the rainy season). Isuzu together with Toyota are the KINGS for durability and reliability (it does not matter WHAT Landrover's spin doctors say). Drove it 2300 miles in 48 hours once - was a pleasure even on the blacktop. The Vehicross is like a (stubby) pig in mud out there - it is a pity to see it in captivity and out of production.

I love it and so does everybody else and the rubberneckers. Lovely firm leather bucket seats. Loads of power. Sticks like glue in tight corners. It is a over- firm ride, due to amongst others the short wheel base - but then if you are in the ditch, THAT works for you, doesn't it

The engine is way too big - make it a 4 cylinder, manual gearbox and throw away the complicated electronics!! THAT is where many manufacturers went off the road - pun fully intended.

Long Time Owner and Enthusiast
By myvx

2000 Isuzu VehiCROSS 2dr SUV 4WD

I have owned and driven my Proton Yellow VX for almost 7 yrs. The name Vehicross is synonymous with what the name stands for which is a cross between a car, truck and a rocket. As soon as I got my new VX home I changed all lubes to AMSOIL synthetics. I then left my home in Phoenix, AZ and went to Southern OR. I took a paved road short cut around Reno, NV. The pavement ran out after 15 miles and the rest was a wide dirt/gravel road for the remaining 100 miles. The road twisted and turned through the desert and when I exited the road's end I realized that it had only taken 75 minutes to go 115 miles! Fun and fast little rocket! After 7 yrs people still ask "What is it?"

Styling: most advanced style for its time! People still ask "is it new?" Seat comfort: I have a bad back, but the seat fits like a glove and holds me in place for a comfortable ride even after 15 hrs of driving! Handling: like a sports car! Fold down rear seat for extra room.

Turbocharge it!!

2000 Isuzu VehiCROSS
By P G Hachey

2000 Isuzu VehiCROSS 2dr SUV 4WD

I have owned my V-Cross for about 7 months now, and it is the finest vehicle I've owned. I bought it with 74000 miles and I've driven about 5500 miles, enjoying every one of them. It can be high maintenance, only because it is very rare and some parts are hard to find. But the main components mirror the Trooper lineup. The outward appearance in unique and current to today's new model SUVs. It's funny that all of the new models coming out today by other manufacturers have taken the a lot of the V-Cross stylelines and Isuzu came out with this in 1993. Someone had a crystal ball into future SUVs of the 21st century. In addition to owning a unique vehicle, I enjoy the camaraderie with fellow owners.

Outward appearance makes it unique. Interior feels sports-car like. Driving it also feels like a sports car. Awesome!

Rear visibility could be better. Directly behind vehicle is completely invisible. Using side mirrors becomes second-nature. It would be nice to have rear-window cam with monitor easily seen by driver. Rear door popper also would be convenient. Will probably add these later.

Great Vehicle
By jasik

2000 Isuzu VehiCROSS 2dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle is as unique as it is fun to drive. The reliability has been great. This is the only car out there that I can honestly say, successfully blends off road capability with sports car ability.

I love the overall design. The rigid structure. Great Vehicle!

The only request other then for isuzu to start building them again with the Direct injection available in the 2004 3.5 liter V6 is that I wish they would of put a rear door pop.

• SUV