Used 1999 Isuzu VehiCROSS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Isuzu Vehicross - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.5L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (14 reviews )

The Good & The Bad
By vande

1999 Isuzu VehiCROSS 2dr SUV 4WD

I fell in love with the VX when I first saw it back in 2000, so when I came accross one while car shopping I knew my decision was instantly made. Now that I have been the owner of a coveted silver Isuzu VX for over a year, I have mixed felings about her...BTW, her name is Twiggy, named after the sexy little robot from the old Buck Rogers TV show.

Favorite Features

What I like: she's fast (4.0L V6) and not "too" bad on gas, effortlessly passes other cars going up hill, still turns heads with the timeless design - is great for sparking conversation, is fabulous in snow, and feeds my desires when it comes to owning an unusual ride.

Suggested Improvements

What I don't like: Gas meilege could be better, practically NO head room - I have to warn everyone before they sit down because the low roof can result in a mild cuncussion, Reacaro seats suck - so uncomfortable, but the worse part is that despite my timely oil changes and scheduled maintainance, the engine bagan burning oil at an obscene rate which resulted in a blown engine. Can you say expensive? OMG...how bout 6,000.00 worth of expensive!!! If you purchase one of these rare babies, stop by the bank on your way home and open a separate VX bank account because you'll need it. Is she worth it...well...YES :)

Great in Sno
By Woody

1999 Isuzu VehiCROSS 2dr SUV 4WD

My VehiCross has over 140K miles and I have driven it 102K over the last 4.5 years with no reliability issues and it is still running strong. This vehicle is the best in snow I have ever experienced and I live at 10,000 ft in the Colorado Rockies. It handles like a sports car, corners very well and climbs without hesitation. The seats are Recaro racing seats providing extreme comfort and support on long drives. Ground clearance is excellent as well. I think this is the most reliable vehicle I have owned. Isuzu engineering was excellent. It's too bad they are gone. I own 3 Isuzu SUVs currently and the ruggedness and reliability has been excellent.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, 4X4 traction and TOD system, front seat comfort, reliability and durability.

Suggested Improvements

Discontinued, however, access to the back seat is terrible. Rear visibility is minimal. Gas mileage is only about 16/20. This SUV has always used quite a bit of oil. I have no regrets, though.

Love our VX!!!
By cwillyrun

1999 Isuzu VehiCROSS 2dr SUV 4WD

We bought a 1999 VX to replace an old 4runner. We had seen them when they first came out but had forgotten about them. When we ran into one at a car show, we realized THIS is the car we've been looking for! It has character, drives like a sports car, is extremely comfortable, and is a great 4x4 (& in snow). Minor drawbacks: rear view (easy fix: get a back up camera and learn to turn your head!), cup holders (replacing 6-disk CD changer with one), head room (due to sunroof; okay with seats leaned back slightly), and front passenger toe room under dash. And to think, the design is 9 years old! We love our V-CROSS!

Favorite Features

Looks, drive-ability, sportiness, seats, legroom, everything!!

Suggested Improvements

One: toe room under passenger side dash.

Smooth driving tank
By Woody

1999 Isuzu VehiCROSS 2dr SUV 4WD

I commute 90 mi each way from 10K ft to 5k ft daily. The VC is a tank in snow and is smooth and secure on the road. I put 79K mi of it's 113K without mechanical problems. It has always used oil, though. Keep the fuel system clean to minimize oil consumption. I get 18-20 MPG. The torque on demand 4WD is great but the ability to switch to 2WD would increase gas mileage. Handling is superb and acceleration is very good. Seat comfort is excellent. Access to back seats is inadequate except for children. Even though capable off-road the ride on rough roads is jarring. Visibility to the back is horrible. I will likely put in a rebuilt engine when the time comes because there is nothing to match it.

Favorite Features

Snow worthiness, handling, acceleration, reliability, seat comfort, looks, 4WD.

An original owner... not happy
By Steve

1999 Isuzu VehiCROSS 2dr SUV 4WD

We bought a 1999 VehiCross when they first came out, to stand out from the crowd. It certainly looks different from anything out there. However, it's all style and very little practicality. The cargo area is relatively small, the back seats have been a joke, visibility is downright dangerous (I feel safer on my motorcycle) and I couldn't stand long distance trips - very uncomfortable after a while. Unfortunately the engine started burning oil like there's no tomorrow (2 qts a month) a few months ago, which I've found out is a normal thing for the 3.5L V6. Now I've just been told it's broken a valve and I need a new engine.... JUST outside the powertrain warranty at 69k miles. Bye bye Isuzu..

Favorite Features

Style, AWD system.

Suggested Improvements

Better visibility (move the spare tire), better rear seats, better access to rear. Not that it matters, they're not making any more of them.