2002 Isuzu Trooper SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Trooper model:
Great Suv
By tyler on 11/17/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Isuzu Trooper SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

My dad gave me this as my first truck, like any other kid yeah i drove the heck out of it. Nothing major has ever went wrong with this car and i do run the heck out of it. Isuzu however did swap the engine for us because right at 70 thousand miles, it would consume a lot of oil and we would have to add it every 500. Known problem i have read about that problem a lot. Does great off roading ( doesn't mean you can go threw a mud pit ) but it will get you back to the trails. excellent in snow this truck goes threw a lot you wouldn't think it. Tows great, I've pulled a big f150 right out of the mud before. aftermarket stereo installed, cold air intake, magna flow exhaust, tint , hid lights,

Love My Trooper
By radixlecti on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Isuzu Trooper SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is the third Trooper I have owned since 1986, and I will drive it until the tires fall off. I have 108,000 miles on it and only have had to replace the oxygen sensor, (50 bucks). All SUVs should be this reliable!

Epitome of Pure SUV
By Dan on 08/04/10 19:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Isuzu Trooper SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

It is hard to describe the ownership experience for me with this vehicle. I guess it can almost be described as happiness and sorrow combined. The vehicle itself is a high quality vehicle( which I will miss when gone) which rides on shocks and rear springs (nice). Plenty of power, big, unique, cool, and comfortable. Problem was with Isuzu disappearing in North America. Was assured by dealer they could continue to service when they dropped Isuzu franchise. My transmission was serviced and failed. Had to wait 18 days to get fixed at authorized Isuzu dealer. Second one failed again. Replaced again at no cost. Still love the vehicle, but Isuzu disappearing and other issues caused anguish.

Still truckin'
By HamSandwich on 03/26/10 11:27 AM (PDT)

2002 Isuzu Trooper SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Trooper new in April 03 and have loved the experience other than the transmission had to be replaced at least 3 times. Since they put a rebuilt tranny in each time the dealer said that you never know how the quality would be. Luckily I've had the warranty and will definitely get rid of the truck when it hits 120,000 miles although I would have preferred to keep it longer. I don't like the way it burns oil either.

95 limited and 02 S
By conrac on 01/25/10 19:41 PM (PST)

2002 Isuzu Trooper SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

bought a 95 limited right outta high school in 01 and it was indestructible!! traded it in on a tacoma. MISTAKE!! NOT HALF THE VEHICLE. just bought a 02 cause i have kids now,(still have lifted F 150 though,haha) love my 02 with 60000 miles. these suv's we're made to abuse. style meets utility all the way around. can't believe that isuzu makes nothing but 4-door GM knock-offs now.

horrible transmissions
By Danstrooper99 on 11/13/09 11:16 AM (PST)

2002 Isuzu Trooper SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Truck is great for function. Built tough and comfortable. I have owned 5 Troopers and cannot imagine another vehicle matching it's looks, comfort, functionality and cost. The only thing is that the tranny is waaaay too small and craps out. Rebuilds are junk and there is no real alternative to them. Those trannys are best left in France. Nothing but Giant paper weights.

My Trooper 1999
By Acuga on 10/19/08 11:18 AM (PDT)

2002 Isuzu Trooper SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

Living in an almost winter land (Illinois), we found our Trooper an excellent vehicle for this kind of weather, specially when snow, and rain it is involve. We had own this veh, since 2000 and it has 165000 miles with almost zero problems.

This is not a good choice
By Laszlo on 03/30/08 16:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Isuzu Trooper SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We needed a 4WD since we moved from Los Angeles to an area that had snow. We bought the Trooper used. It had only 32000 miles and looked very clean. It's been in the shop twice in the past 4 months and the parts are hard to get. Gas mileage was terrible before our first trip to the mechanic and now the tranmission leaks and there is no easy way to fill it. The mechanic found no dip stick. The fluid has to be pumped in under the car. They sure don't make it easy! There are so many better trucks out there, there is no reason to buy 2nd or 3rd best. The Trooper is no better than 3rd best choice for an SUV. It's uncomfortable, unreliable and get's terrible gas mileage. Stay away!

Why don't they still make them?
By doug on 02/21/08 12:10 PM (PST)

2002 Isuzu Trooper SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is my third trooper and I will hang on to it as long as I can. Through almost 70,000 miles the one mechanical problem has been a $99 transmission problem, covered under warranty of course! The moonroof is amazing and open in some form or another all the time.

Served me well
By isuztroop7 on 04/10/07 01:29 AM (PDT)

2002 Isuzu Trooper SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've always wanted a Trooper more than anything and finally purchased a used one after Isuzu ended its production. It's been 3 and half years and it's time to move on to a new love. She always made me want drive friends to places and parties. Never let me down on muddy trails, sandy Virginia beaches or snowy Connecticut highways. Always felt safely in control. The stock sport 4WD model came with lots of options but not as many as the LS or Limited. I'll never forget that outstanding truck.