Used 2002 Isuzu Trooper SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Isuzu Trooper - Consumer Reviews

2002 Isuzu Trooper SUV

View reviews for a specific Trooper model:

Great Suv
By tyler

2002 Isuzu Trooper SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

My dad gave me this as my first truck, like any other kid yeah i drove the heck out of it. Nothing major has ever went wrong with this car and i do run the heck out of it. Isuzu however did swap the engine for us because right at 70 thousand miles, it would consume a lot of oil and we would have to add it every 500. Known problem i have read about that problem a lot. Does great off roading ( doesn't mean you can go threw a mud pit ) but it will get you back to the trails. excellent in snow this truck goes threw a lot you wouldn't think it. Tows great, I've pulled a big f150 right out of the mud before. aftermarket stereo installed, cold air intake, magna flow exhaust, tint , hid lights,

Favorite Features

Favorite feature is the ride quality , the appearance, storage. fun you can have in it. this isn't a sport car but this car will get moving.

Suggested Improvements

Doesn't really matter what we think should be improved, Isuzu is no longer making any more troopers. Seats are uncomfortable if driving for a long time. could have a little more power, but for a suv it's perfect.

Love My Trooper
By radixlecti

2002 Isuzu Trooper SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is the third Trooper I have owned since 1986, and I will drive it until the tires fall off. I have 108,000 miles on it and only have had to replace the oxygen sensor, (50 bucks). All SUVs should be this reliable!

Favorite Features

It can do it all!

Epitome of Pure SUV
By Dan

2002 Isuzu Trooper SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

It is hard to describe the ownership experience for me with this vehicle. I guess it can almost be described as happiness and sorrow combined. The vehicle itself is a high quality vehicle( which I will miss when gone) which rides on shocks and rear springs (nice). Plenty of power, big, unique, cool, and comfortable. Problem was with Isuzu disappearing in North America. Was assured by dealer they could continue to service when they dropped Isuzu franchise. My transmission was serviced and failed. Had to wait 18 days to get fixed at authorized Isuzu dealer. Second one failed again. Replaced again at no cost. Still love the vehicle, but Isuzu disappearing and other issues caused anguish.

Favorite Features

10/120000 mile powertrain warranty, 3.5L DOC V6, Power Sunroof, Heated Seats, Posi-Traction Rear, Fog Lights, TOD 4 Wheel Drive able to run even on dry pavement, Part-Time true 4 wheel drive low range, leather wrapped steering wheel, 110K miles so still under powertrain warranty, ride height SUV fun.

Suggested Improvements

In dash Isuzu 6 dash CD player failed,have now only radio and tape player. Better road handling(driving too fast around bends causes too much body roll, needed stainless steel exhaust and undercoating of some components, now rusting appearing. Mirror controls located under cupholders=spill damage.

Still truckin'
By HamSandwich

2002 Isuzu Trooper SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Trooper new in April 03 and have loved the experience other than the transmission had to be replaced at least 3 times. Since they put a rebuilt tranny in each time the dealer said that you never know how the quality would be. Luckily I've had the warranty and will definitely get rid of the truck when it hits 120,000 miles although I would have preferred to keep it longer. I don't like the way it burns oil either.

Favorite Features

build and character of truck. ability of driving with 4x4 engaged.

95 limited and 02 S
By conrac

2002 Isuzu Trooper SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

bought a 95 limited right outta high school in 01 and it was indestructible!! traded it in on a tacoma. MISTAKE!! NOT HALF THE VEHICLE. just bought a 02 cause i have kids now,(still have lifted F 150 though,haha) love my 02 with 60000 miles. these suv's we're made to abuse. style meets utility all the way around. can't believe that isuzu makes nothing but 4-door GM knock-offs now.

Favorite Features

plenty of oh-bleep handles. good stereo. great four-wheel-drive. tons of room.

Suggested Improvements

MAKE MORE OF THEM!!!!!!!!