2000 Isuzu Trooper Consumer Review: My zuzu needs work after 120k,

2000 Isuzu Trooper - Consumer Review

LS 4dr SUV (3.5L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic)

My zuzu needs work after 120k, but hey!
By kr in fl on

2000 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought about 18 mos ago. Never thought I'd want to drive an SUV, but somehow it's NOT big and cumbersome. Everything I've read about power, cargo, visibility, handling I must support. It's great! Had an overheating problem but a new thermostat fixed it. The A/C fan does need to be beefier (mine is out now) and my trans has been failing for 6 months or so. One week it drives fine,and the next is awful- suddenly free-spinning and losing speed in traffic. I'm told there is a leak, but it's a "closed system", I can't check or add tranny fluid. The tranny must be REPLACED, cannot be rebuilt. I found a local shop that will do it for 1600.00. Every other owner I run into raves about their Trooper

Climbing up into it instead of lowering myself down, Huge automatic sunroof, twice the size of most, power everything, excellent visibility, nice ride, handling, power, mid-size, not a monster, interior and seat fabric is soft, comfy, and seems to resist everything messy- you just brush it off.

The cooling system is known for having an insufficient fan, as does the A/C. Those should be corrected.If a closed trans system is supposed to be a good thing, shouldn't it still have a way to add fluid when problems develop?. I've heard about people actually drilling into the case and making one.