Used 2000 Isuzu Trooper SUV Consumer Reviews - 39 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Isuzu Trooper SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Trooper model:

I've Had Two of These!
By Gary Estep

2000 Isuzu Trooper SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Needed a tranny rebuild at 115,000 miles. Otherwise no problems at all.

No vinegar, lots of oil!
By Patrick

2000 Isuzu Trooper SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought mine used in WI in 07 for $8K with 75K miles, now have 140K, hoping to make it to 250K. Recently replaced starter and timing belt. Truck-like ride and capability - no snow bank or towing job is a challenge. Huge cargo area ideal for 2 dogs and frequent Home Depot trips. Well appointed: massive sun roof, 6-CD, TOD, heated review mirrors. I MUST change oil every 3K miles and only get 15 MPG. Doesn't burn oil, just drinks a lot. Top heavy. Timeless exterior styling and one small repairable rust spot on back door. Been very pleased overall - this is a "guy's SUV" - a beast lacking nimble handling but a reliable workhorse. Perfect for winter states, boat or "sled" owners.

Huge cargo area, well appointed, reliable, towing, nice styling, massive sunroof.

Wish they made appropriate after market shocks/suspension for a smoother ride. Drinks oil and gas. Reliabilty is hit or miss.

My 2000 Trooper
By Peter Kumble

2000 Isuzu Trooper SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my second Trooper - bought it new in 2000, replaced my 1991. Huge improvement. I really wish that Isuzu was still in the auto business and made these because I have no idea what I will replace it with. I have used this vehicle in every way possible. My one complaint is that the motor uses oil, has since new.

Size and height. I am 6.2 feet. Lots of room. Durable. Never breaks down. Reliable.

CD player stinks. Jams and won't eject CDs. Better gas mileage perhaps. Fog lights for the S model.

My zuzu needs work after 120k, but hey!
By kr in fl

2000 Isuzu Trooper SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought about 18 mos ago. Never thought I'd want to drive an SUV, but somehow it's NOT big and cumbersome. Everything I've read about power, cargo, visibility, handling I must support. It's great! Had an overheating problem but a new thermostat fixed it. The A/C fan does need to be beefier (mine is out now) and my trans has been failing for 6 months or so. One week it drives fine,and the next is awful- suddenly free-spinning and losing speed in traffic. I'm told there is a leak, but it's a "closed system", I can't check or add tranny fluid. The tranny must be REPLACED, cannot be rebuilt. I found a local shop that will do it for 1600.00. Every other owner I run into raves about their Trooper

Climbing up into it instead of lowering myself down, Huge automatic sunroof, twice the size of most, power everything, excellent visibility, nice ride, handling, power, mid-size, not a monster, interior and seat fabric is soft, comfy, and seems to resist everything messy- you just brush it off.

The cooling system is known for having an insufficient fan, as does the A/C. Those should be corrected.If a closed trans system is supposed to be a good thing, shouldn't it still have a way to add fluid when problems develop?. I've heard about people actually drilling into the case and making one.

ok so far
By Billl32001

2000 Isuzu Trooper SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought new, has 90000 miles. 60000 had intake manifold go, which is very common. 70000 had egr go, not a big deal. 88000 had to put new starter in, $500. That's it so far, except basic stuff like pads, muffler and lights. Did timing belt early, I notice a lot of used ones have bad belts.

5 speed manual, great in bad weather and towing. Fun to drive.

Interior is poor, seat springs are broke and plastic trim pieces all over are breaking.