2000 Isuzu Trooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Trooper model:
No vinegar, lots of oil!
By Patrick on 05/02/10 07:09 AM (PDT)

2000 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought mine used in WI in 07 for $8K with 75K miles, now have 140K, hoping to make it to 250K. Recently replaced starter and timing belt. Truck-like ride and capability - no snow bank or towing job is a challenge. Huge cargo area ideal for 2 dogs and frequent Home Depot trips. Well appointed: massive sun roof, 6-CD, TOD, heated review mirrors. I MUST change oil every 3K miles and only get 15 MPG. Doesn't burn oil, just drinks a lot. Top heavy. Timeless exterior styling and one small repairable rust spot on back door. Been very pleased overall - this is a "guy's SUV" - a beast lacking nimble handling but a reliable workhorse. Perfect for winter states, boat or "sled" owners.

My 2000 Trooper
By Peter Kumble on 07/20/09 19:20 PM (PDT)

2000 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my second Trooper - bought it new in 2000, replaced my 1991. Huge improvement. I really wish that Isuzu was still in the auto business and made these because I have no idea what I will replace it with. I have used this vehicle in every way possible. My one complaint is that the motor uses oil, has since new.

My zuzu needs work after 120k, but hey!
By kr in fl on 10/26/08 09:42 AM (PDT)

2000 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought about 18 mos ago. Never thought I'd want to drive an SUV, but somehow it's NOT big and cumbersome. Everything I've read about power, cargo, visibility, handling I must support. It's great! Had an overheating problem but a new thermostat fixed it. The A/C fan does need to be beefier (mine is out now) and my trans has been failing for 6 months or so. One week it drives fine,and the next is awful- suddenly free-spinning and losing speed in traffic. I'm told there is a leak, but it's a "closed system", I can't check or add tranny fluid. The tranny must be REPLACED, cannot be rebuilt. I found a local shop that will do it for 1600.00. Every other owner I run into raves about their Trooper

ok so far
By Billl32001 on 09/14/08 13:49 PM (PDT)

2000 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought new, has 90000 miles. 60000 had intake manifold go, which is very common. 70000 had egr go, not a big deal. 88000 had to put new starter in, $500. That's it so far, except basic stuff like pads, muffler and lights. Did timing belt early, I notice a lot of used ones have bad belts.

Where Oh Where Does All The Oil Go?
By Kristofer on 08/05/08 11:27 AM (PDT)

2000 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Trooper late in 2005 with 53K after researching for value. Too bad I didn't check reliability as well, but hey it's Japanese! The 3.5 six cylinder consumes copious amounts of oil... as much as a quart per week. The EGR valve required replacing, ($1000), at 70K because of burning all that oil. Shocks were replaced ($280), two weeks ago and last night at 81K the starter failed ($670). It handles great in the snow and carries scuba gear for 4 including 8 tanks, with room to spare. I'm going to drive this until it falls apart as resale value is laughable.

2000 Isuzu Trooper
By sam on 05/31/08 04:18 AM (PDT)

2000 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have taken very very good care of this vehicle, only driven about 10,000 miles per year, has 97k on it now, had to replace **expensive** parts, transmission, and more. Warranty paid for most. My opinion, Isuzu needs to take better care of their consumers, think twice before buying Isuzu.

8 years going strong
By mtnmba on 05/25/08 11:57 AM (PDT)

2000 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Trooper's build quality and reliability have been excellent over 110k rough miles. Only problems were 02 sensor @30k & frt. pinion oil seal@105k - both replaced under warranty; multi-CD chgr quit @80k. Mileage about 16-17 in town & @75mph, but 19-20 towing bike trlr in CO mtns @55-65mph. No squeaks yet; paint on body still excellent-paint on plastic flares has begun to chip. Have taken Mexico to Canada, Maine to SoCal - good trip vehicle, though front seats can seem hard after a 600-mi day. Excellent in snow, off-road, and back country. I did upgrade suspension to OME coils/shocks & frt to Sway-Away hvy dty bars - much improved ride & handling.

2000: Original owner.
By DN on 01/28/08 07:18 AM (PST)

2000 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had mine since it was new. I too had the problem with losing oil (1qt/1000mi) which the dealer claimed was "normal". At about 48,000 it threw a rod so the engine was replaced under warranty though I had to fight with Isuzu over some minor charges. The new engine does not have a problem losing oil like the original. The driver side window got stuck and cost $300 to fix. The CD changer only lasted about 3-4 years before it broke.

Consumes Oil
By Mr. Mapes on 12/31/07 09:14 AM (PST)

2000 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased used at 58,000 miles for $9500. Found out later that engine was defective and consumed 1qt of oil every 500 miles. Not original owner, so no warranty. Further research revealed 2 different types of 3.5 engine problems for model year 2000. Oversized bores and not enough piston ring drain back holes. Currently have 93,000 and am using 20w-50 synthetic to reduce the consumption rate. Overall a good vehicle for what we paid for it. No real issues other than oil consumption.

Trooper S model 2000
By jeepinarmyman on 05/13/07 19:18 PM (PDT)

2000 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the bottom of the line base model with no options. I am very impressed with the ride quality, interior comfort, standard features and interior capacity. I have towed a trailer reaching the maximum towing capacity of the vehicle 300 miles on a hot Texas day including about an hour of stop and go traffic in Dallas and had no difficulties what so ever. Off pavement driving requires more firm, other than factory shocks. 235/85R16 oversized tires fit with no modifications and no negative effects on drive quality of fuel economy. One negative is that only one company (ARB) supports the vehicle as far as aftermarket parts are concerned. Overall I am very satisfied.