1999 Isuzu Trooper - Consumer Reviews

S 3.5L V6 4x4 5-speed Manual - (61 reviews )
'99 Trooper
By snard on 04/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Not a day of trouble in 3 1/2 years.

Did I get a lemon?
By johnq on 02/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my second Trooper. Does everyone have good reliability with these vehicles except me? Had to have the auto transmission replaced at 41K - warranty (a $4000 job). Had to have engine manifold valve gaskets replaced. Vehicle has shut off twice while driving down the road. I have heard of others having these problems, but most seem to have no problems. Strange, wonder if all these bad ones were made the same week. At least I still have 20K left on the warranty.

Great Price, Great Ride - No Regrets!
By pbsoko on 02/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I have been lookin for a Trooper for over a month; never was able to track one down because they would be sold within a few days of being at a dealership. Now I know why! These are excellent trucks. 4x4 TOD system rocks. Tackle anything really tough just shift to 4L and go for it. I have the luxury model. I would recommend the luxury model to everyone; it is really worth the extra bucks. The moonroof is huge, twice the size of a regular one. Engine performance is great. Regular driving on highway at 80 is nice & quiet & smooth. Gas mileage is as with any SUV, dont expect it to run on water; you can switch to 2WD which allows you to add a few MPG.

Trooper Fan!
By TBrye on 02/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Great vehicle. Second Trooper we've owned. Sorry to see the model discontinued. No desire to look at Ascender. Might as well go directly to GM if I want a TrailBlazer or Envoy

Eric's Opinion
By Kasteer on 01/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had my 99 Trooper for almost a year now. It's been problem free and very dependable. I've taken it off- road in the sand at the Outer Banks, NC and it's performed well. I truly enjoy my Trooper. I've recently added a 2inch suspension lift and 32inch tires. It looks, rides and handles much better than stock. It should have come this way from the factory! It's very comfortable.

Great Truck
By Bimmer-7 on 01/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle does what we wanted it to (handle snow and ice) better than any other we've owned. It's like a mountain goat.

Exceptional 2nd Trooper
By Army Trooper on 12/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my second Isuzu Trooper; my first was a 1988 that I reluctantly sold. I had it for 10 years. The 1999 is far more powerful, rides even better, and really delivers a punch when needed. I intend to keep mine for as long as I can! And then I intend to give it to my daughter as her first vehicle! Super performer off road and on in all weather conditions. Pleased as pleased can be!

99 Trooper Exceeded Expectation
By trooperfan on 12/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Got a great deal on it at the end of the 99 model year. It's got over 70K miles on it and I've had no problems with it. Just regular maintenance and a set of tires over the past three years. Drives great, very comfortable, great brakes. I drive it approx. 80 miles every day and I never tire of driving it. Not much off-road experience. A couple of trips to the snow and some dirt roads while camping. Handled both well. Great highway manners even along the California coast. A great bargain as far as I am concerned.

Unhappy with quality, performance
By TahoeNextTime on 09/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

At 50000 miles it needed a new engine. Something expensive breaks every 3000- 4000 miles. Slow. Crappy off-road. Ok on the street. Isuzu Motors corp. is unresponsive and unhelpful

Honest Review
By The real deal. on 08/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

This is one of the best "Trucks" you can buy, if not THE best. Solid, tight, dependable, durable, powerful, a real workhorse. More interior room than any mid-size SUV, and smaller exterior than the big brutes. Plenty of back seat room for 3, plus lots of cargo space. Very easy to drive around town, but will go anywhere if you like off-road adventures. I've been to the beach, mountains, and on some very rough rocky and steep trails. The low gear will crawl over just about anyuthing! My teenage daughter would rather drive the Trooper than Mom's car. The TOD works perfect in bad weather. This is just a very good do anything,go anywhere, vehicle.