Used 1999 Isuzu Trooper Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Isuzu Trooper - Consumer Reviews

S 3.5L V6 4x4 5-speed Manual - (62 reviews )

Steady as rock
By Brian in SoCal

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my Trooper new in 1999, and I've never had a more reliable vehicle. I'm now over 112K miles, and no repair issues whatsoever aside from routine maintenance. In fact, I only replaced my original brakes last month! And no, mine doesn't burn oil *at all*.

Huge sunroof. Great visibility. Huge cargo area.

Since these are extinct, this is kind of pointless, but the mileage leaves more than a bit to be desired, and the original shocks and tires were terrible.

STAY AWAY!
By Jeff

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought a 1999 Trooper expecting the same performance as I had with my 1992. Boy was I wrong! I ran my '92 Trooper to about 150,000 with very few problems. The engine died at 68,000 on my '99 Trooper costing me over $4,000 to repair. How ironic that my warranty ended at 60,000 miles. Isuzu has known for a while about the inherent engine problems with the 1998 and 1999 Troopers. However, they refuse to do a recall.

Sitting upright, sunroof, and decent off road capability.

Doesn't really apply. However, if it did better gas mileage and a stronger a/c system. Of course, an engine that doesn't die on you after only 68,000 miles would be nice as well!

Fun, nice, but big time $$$ to drive
By Michael

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Nice suv, I liked it from the moment I saw it but...

The amount of room inside, the design, the ride of the vehicle, the huge sunroof.

Better gas mileage, better gas mileage, better gas mileage, oh and the a/c could do with more power, it's pretty weak, doesn't sufficiently cool the vehicle.

Beware
By John

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the Isuzu Trooper because I saw great ratings on Edmunds, but my experience has been poor thus far. I bought at 85K and thank goodness I bought an Eagle extended warranty. In six months I have replaced the starter after sitting in a parking lot for 6 hours waiting to be towed on 4th of July. Then came the alternator and the engine at $3,200 was just replaced under warranty. My mechanic told me although I saw great ratings on Edmunds he has seen nothing but problems over and over again with the ones he serviced. "ENGINES are always a problem with these"...he told me! I still like it, but don't buy one without an extended warranty!

4WD, Torque on Demand, heat is quick and hot.

Engine is rough and guzzles gas, CD changer is one that works when it feels like it.

Oil User after 60K
By Trooper Terry

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I love this vehicle except for one thing and that is it uses 1 quart of oil per 500 miles. Isuzu knows there is a problem with their 3.5 liter engines, but won't recall them. After the warranty ends at 60K, they start using a lot of oil. The only solution is to replace the small block, which costs about 2 grand. I figured if I just keep adding oil, it would only cost me about 30 bucks a year. I know there are a lot of posts online about this, but Isuzu will never admit it. I love the vehicle other than the oil usage. I had two Isuzu vehicles in the past with few or any problems, this is the first one, I guess they just tried to catch up with the big U.S. SUV too quickly

I love sitting upright, very comfortable on long drives. It has a lot of room to haul things and kids love it too. It is a good option if you are tired of driving a van.

They don't sell them anymore to U.S., so any suggestions would be worthless, but here it goes ... more storage space for things inside, a little more zip with the engine, and an engine that does not use oil after warranty expires.