1999 Isuzu Trooper - Consumer Reviews

S 3.5L V6 4x4 5-speed Manual - (0 review )
STAY AWAY!
By Jeff on 06/03/06 12:27 PM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought a 1999 Trooper expecting the same performance as I had with my 1992. Boy was I wrong! I ran my '92 Trooper to about 150,000 with very few problems. The engine died at 68,000 on my '99 Trooper costing me over $4,000 to repair. How ironic that my warranty ended at 60,000 miles. Isuzu has known for a while about the inherent engine problems with the 1998 and 1999 Troopers. However, they refuse to do a recall.

Fun, nice, but big time $$$ to drive
By Michael on 04/02/06 17:42 PM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Nice suv, I liked it from the moment I saw it but...

Beware
By John on 01/17/06 10:26 AM (PST)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the Isuzu Trooper because I saw great ratings on Edmunds, but my experience has been poor thus far. I bought at 85K and thank goodness I bought an Eagle extended warranty. In six months I have replaced the starter after sitting in a parking lot for 6 hours waiting to be towed on 4th of July. Then came the alternator and the engine at $3,200 was just replaced under warranty. My mechanic told me although I saw great ratings on Edmunds he has seen nothing but problems over and over again with the ones he serviced. "ENGINES are always a problem with these"...he told me! I still like it, but don't buy one without an extended warranty!

Oil User after 60K
By Trooper Terry on 07/23/05 01:37 AM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I love this vehicle except for one thing and that is it uses 1 quart of oil per 500 miles. Isuzu knows there is a problem with their 3.5 liter engines, but won't recall them. After the warranty ends at 60K, they start using a lot of oil. The only solution is to replace the small block, which costs about 2 grand. I figured if I just keep adding oil, it would only cost me about 30 bucks a year. I know there are a lot of posts online about this, but Isuzu will never admit it. I love the vehicle other than the oil usage. I had two Isuzu vehicles in the past with few or any problems, this is the first one, I guess they just tried to catch up with the big U.S. SUV too quickly

Love my ZuZu
By Maureen on 05/09/05 18:05 PM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1999 Isuzu Trooper new in Jan. 2000 and have had no problems what so ever. I love my ZuZu as much as I did when I purchased it. When I decide to purchase a new vehicle I hope to save it for one of my little girls to have as their first vehicle. Both my girls love it so much they refer to it as "their ZuZu" and cry whenever I tease them about selling it!

Still runnin' strong
By Daniel on 04/18/05 20:39 PM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased a '99 Isuzu Trooper 4WD new and have never had any problems besides normal wear like shocks, tires, brakes. Very reliable truck. Excellent power to weight ratio.

I'll drive it until it dies!
By 4 Dr S 4WD SUV on 03/19/05 14:54 PM (PST)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought mine used. I needed something for rugged areas & ranch use. It works just fine for town & play too. Lots of room. Takes a licking and never has been a problem. Its durable and reliable - I keep up the routine maintenance. NO PROBLEMS! I go where others do not dare to try. I am really sorry Isuzu does not make this model anymore so I will drive it until either one of us die. I have 85,000 miles on it now and expect another 100,000 based on its performance to date!

WARNING
By Sean on 02/16/05 21:48 PM (PST)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I loved my Trooper. I drove it often and drove it hard. I would have been the first person to recommend this vehicle. However, following a recent accident - I will be the first to warn anyone about it. My wife went into a ditch at low speed and rolled the Trooper. It totaled the vehicle, with the worst damage immediately over the driver's seat. It was by pure divine providence that she wasn't injured.

Surprise
By I-5 Bandit on 07/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I am pleased with our choice . We needed a family rig that could with stand our life-style. Trips to the Washington mountains loging roads, snow, camping trips and keeping up with 04 Rangers, Tacomas, Jeeps and Z71's. We have been able to go where all others go, and we are usually leading the pack. I put on some BF All terrains...Great move. Am planning to put on some rancho this summer. Yes I do have to add oil every 1500 miles...It just makes me stay on top of oil changes. Has excellent off road ability, have climbed some pucker upper hills, have not rolled or have even been close. Have fun

POOR MAN's TOYOTA LANDCRUISER!
By go-to-ak on 07/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

My 2nd Trooper and sixth SUV of varying makes. Good V6 power, comfortable, nice conservative look. Good handling on the street, but surprisingly off road can leave most "real" SUV's (like Jeep, Range Rover in the dust). Huge interior olume for storage, camping gear, big dogs, etc. Overall reliablity of these is excellent- you may have a few minor problems but not ones that will actually strand you. Known problems in this car are oil consumption if PCV and EGR valve are not kept clean every 30K miles, also running synthetic oil seems to prevent this. Mine burns no oil. MPG average for this class. Factory shocks were weak - suggest Ranchos- dramatic improvemen