1999 Isuzu Trooper - Consumer Reviews

S 3.5L V6 4x4 5-speed Manual - (61 reviews )
Much better than I originally thought.
By Pyric on 04/16/08 11:51 AM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

At first I did not like the Trooper at all. The body roll felt extreme and the acceleration felt weak. However, I found that this was an illusion. The suspension is actually tighter than it feels, so even though the roll is excessive at 30 mph, it does not roll much more at 60. As for the acceleration, the ride is so smooth that it feels slow, but it has nor problem getting a jump on traffic or climbing a hill. As for off-road and bad weather, it performs better than any I've ever driven.

What a Trooper!
By trooper123 on 03/26/08 13:41 PM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

What a great vehicle!! We bought our Trooper (with performance/Luxury pkg) new in 1999. We have over 360,000 miles on it to date and it's still running strong. Having some troubles now with rear differential, but that's the only problem we've ever had. The proof's in the pudding... if you take care of your cars, they'll take care of you!!

Still Love My Trooper
By Philbrah on 12/29/07 18:40 PM (PST)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the second writeup I've done for my Trooper since buying it 5/2003 with 52k miles. The truck has been easily the most dependable vehicle I've owned and that has been over 30 vehicles. It's still one of the most comfortable, dependable, off-road ready vehicles available today and it carries people and cargo with room to spare. Yes, it burns approximately 1 quart of oil every 2-3k miles, but I've owned Jeeps, BMWs, Toyotas that did the same. Use Seafoam and watch it, you won't have any engine problems. Yes, gas mileage is about 15-16mpg, but I've hit 18mpg on the highway. If you want the real 4WD, buy a Trooper. If not, buy an Explorer.

130k mileage, uber-dependable in Colorado
By Lesmon on 12/23/07 07:00 AM (PST)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it used in 2000 with 13k miles; now have 130k. This car is a beast in Colorado, smashes through blizzards and snow, pulls out cars when in 4 Lo, carries lots of stuff when skiing. Still have original brakes at only 50% usage and that includes lots of driving up/down the mountains to ski and a few 4WD drives up to 13,000 feet. Also holds my 3 kids in the backseat nicely. Love the tons of interior space; it's like having a Suburban without the excessive length. Truely have had only two post- warranty repairs: Transmission seal and Torque-On-Demand vaccum replacement. Total cost around $900. It does burn oil as others say but I can live with that and hope to for another 5 years.

Top notch quality vehicle
By Dee La Barge on 05/31/07 13:15 PM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

We love our vehicle. It saved our lives, when we were rear ended by a taxi on Hwy 10, on the west side of Phoenix. I feel completely safe when driving it. It goes anywhere off road. Very dependable. I'm short in stature, so, I love the height it gives me, when driving. We bought our vehicle new. We both wish that it could pull our 25ft Avion travel trailor, so we could get rid of the van.

up to 88k miles since new
By shawn on 03/18/07 06:39 AM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned this truck since new and am still have not had any issues besides normal wear items like brakes, wiper, tires & shocks. My wife gets a different car each year and it amazes me that this old Trooper just keeps kicking without a hitch. Excellent power to weight ratio. I'll probably buy something new this year and keep the Trooper just because it is so reliable.

pleasant surprise
By paulb208 on 12/31/06 21:55 PM (PST)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

We've had our Trooper for just over a year now, and have been pleasantly surprised at the quality and reliability of the vehicle. It had low miles on it when purchased, and we just recently had the 60,000 mile service performed. I'm 6'4" and fit just fine in both the front and rear seats. My wife is a wildlife and landscape photographer, so the combination of on-road comfort and off- road capability is just what we need.

excellent Trooper
By MDENMAN on 12/07/06 08:07 AM (PST)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my third Trooper, previous an 88, and a 94. Both were extremely reliable and comfortable. This one is the same except for oil consumption. Excellent off road and and highway cruiser. I expect to get a couple of hundred thousand reliable miles usage.

Great Vehicle
By rd on 10/21/06 22:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased new with Performance/Luxury pkg. It's been great. Very good legroom in back seat. Reliability has been excellent. Changed front differential fluid today, wear was as expected, no problems. Interior design is simple, still looks good, not real dated. Oil use is not too bad, but some gone at each oil change. TOD works well.

Steady as rock
By Brian in SoCal on 09/21/06 15:53 PM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my Trooper new in 1999, and I've never had a more reliable vehicle. I'm now over 112K miles, and no repair issues whatsoever aside from routine maintenance. In fact, I only replaced my original brakes last month! And no, mine doesn't burn oil *at all*.