Used 1999 Isuzu Trooper Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Isuzu Trooper - Consumer Reviews

S 3.5L V6 4x4 5-speed Manual - (61 reviews )

Fun to drive- Expensive to own!
By fettj

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Trooper with 72,000 miles on it and immediately had the transmission flushed and service. Throughout its life I changed oil every 3,000 miles and used Valvoline Max Life. I blew the tranny at about 135,000 miles, and I'm not sure why. I took very good care of the vehicle. Besides that, I had a lot of problems with the vacuum 4 wheel drive system, which cost me a lot of money. The AC also went out at 85,000 miles. When the tranny went out the rear struts were shot and the exhaust system had a big hole in it just behind the caddy. Since Isuzu discontinued their automotive line, part prices have gone up significantly.

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive is awesome when it works! Looks Great!

Suggested Improvements

More dependable parts (Struts, AC, Vacuum 4WD system)

Lemon at Large
By ccya

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle used with 160,000 on it. I didn't make it one month before it needed major repairs, I was told it was the transmission, by several different mechanics. Took it to a trasmaission shop they switched out the transmission and $2700 later they took it for a test drive and guess what it was still doing the sam thing. Turned out to be the alternator not the transmission. Haven't had it back a week and the muffler dropped on it. Than within one more week the motor starts knocking, not a good sign.

Favorite Features

Lots of extras on such as heated seats, key ring started and 4 wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

The oil burns quick from what I've read best suggestion to check it every week since they did not build this part right on the truck.

Gone too soon
By yaboiaj1

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I had just bought my trooper automatic wasnt an option up there neway it was used 135k + mi. and I was paying for a little over a year I had I believe 3 more payments left and it threw a rod or whatever to me it wasn't worth the fix. We had a love hate relationship. I'll never forget driving away from it looking through the rearview for the last time. I never saw it again there was a terrible ticking noise in the engine everywhere I went I constantly had people saying you need oil took it to the shop they said I didn't but something was obviously wrong I've been car less for a year I truely miss my trooper but I honestly wouldn't recommend it to anyone

Favorite Features

The high ride was awesome I could see over anything on the road and it had a lot of leg room I'm 6'4'' so thats important

Suggested Improvements

engine, suspension, thats about it too bad those are two of the biggest things you don't want wrong with a car.

It has been a good few years.
By oooper

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this 99' black beauty OOPER back in 08'. Had only 70,000 miles on it. After reading many bad reviews of people who had engines fail on them due to perhaps loss of oil I thought I had made a mistake buying this thing. However I have milked it for all it has and checked the oil whenever possible and adding it when needed...I recall reading one thread about the engines not having sufficient drain holes for the oil to settle back down into the pan and that is why you would get different dip stick readings every time...which I have It has been fun to drive and it holds all my gear. However my 4x8 utility trailer full of gear and the back of the trooper full of travel bags reallymadeitsag.

Favorite Features

The "OH CRAP" handles. Spacious cargo area.

Suggested Improvements

Better rear suspension. Better engines. Mine finally has a rod knocking at 122,000 miles. I don't know what I could have done to prevent this from happening. I check the oil daily. I would not buy another Trooper even though I have loved owning this one.

12 Years and 124,000 miles later
By markumz

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

This is a truck & is built like all trucks should be. Used for work commute & as a family vehicle. Past problems/repairs: Both front pass windows came off track (tried to put them down while frozen). AC leak in 2000. 2 cd players in 2001. Life Maintenance: Oil change every 10,000 miles or so. 4 Batteries, 4 sets tires, 2 exhaust systems from the cat on back. 4 maybe 5 sets brake pads. timing belt @ 75k as recommended. Big repair$: 2011- Alternator, 4 rotors, pads & 2 rear calipers. Never touched: motor, AT, Driveline components, susp/steer comp, plugs, wires, cooling, ps system, electrical, body hdwe.

Favorite Features

Pros: Big heavy & beast-like solid truck feel. Spacious interior. Seating position. Body/hdwe integrity. Cons: Gas mileage. Uses oil since 75k. 2011: Tranny slips now & then at low engine vacuum. Never got used to: The side swing tailgate door. Really gonna miss: The worlds largest sunroof. This has been a very good quality vehicle. I'd buy another Isuzu if only they made pick up trucks. Replace 5/26/11 with 2011 Nissan Frontier 4 door 4wd