1999 Isuzu Trooper - Consumer Reviews

S 3.5L V6 4x4 5-speed Manual - (61 reviews )
Fun to drive- Expensive to own!
By fettj on 02/07/13 10:49 AM (PST)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Trooper with 72,000 miles on it and immediately had the transmission flushed and service. Throughout its life I changed oil every 3,000 miles and used Valvoline Max Life. I blew the tranny at about 135,000 miles, and I'm not sure why. I took very good care of the vehicle. Besides that, I had a lot of problems with the vacuum 4 wheel drive system, which cost me a lot of money. The AC also went out at 85,000 miles. When the tranny went out the rear struts were shot and the exhaust system had a big hole in it just behind the caddy. Since Isuzu discontinued their automotive line, part prices have gone up significantly.

Lemon at Large
By ccya on 02/04/13 09:56 AM (PST)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle used with 160,000 on it. I didn't make it one month before it needed major repairs, I was told it was the transmission, by several different mechanics. Took it to a trasmaission shop they switched out the transmission and $2700 later they took it for a test drive and guess what it was still doing the sam thing. Turned out to be the alternator not the transmission. Haven't had it back a week and the muffler dropped on it. Than within one more week the motor starts knocking, not a good sign.

Gone too soon
By yaboiaj1 on 01/23/12 17:00 PM (PST)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I had just bought my trooper automatic wasnt an option up there neway it was used 135k + mi. and I was paying for a little over a year I had I believe 3 more payments left and it threw a rod or whatever to me it wasn't worth the fix. We had a love hate relationship. I'll never forget driving away from it looking through the rearview for the last time. I never saw it again there was a terrible ticking noise in the engine everywhere I went I constantly had people saying you need oil took it to the shop they said I didn't but something was obviously wrong I've been car less for a year I truely miss my trooper but I honestly wouldn't recommend it to anyone

It has been a good few years.
By oooper on 10/19/11 21:20 PM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this 99' black beauty OOPER back in 08'. Had only 70,000 miles on it. After reading many bad reviews of people who had engines fail on them due to perhaps loss of oil I thought I had made a mistake buying this thing. However I have milked it for all it has and checked the oil whenever possible and adding it when needed...I recall reading one thread about the engines not having sufficient drain holes for the oil to settle back down into the pan and that is why you would get different dip stick readings every time...which I have It has been fun to drive and it holds all my gear. However my 4x8 utility trailer full of gear and the back of the trooper full of travel bags reallymadeitsag.

12 Years and 124,000 miles later
By markumz on 05/27/11 12:41 PM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

This is a truck & is built like all trucks should be. Used for work commute & as a family vehicle. Past problems/repairs: Both front pass windows came off track (tried to put them down while frozen). AC leak in 2000. 2 cd players in 2001. Life Maintenance: Oil change every 10,000 miles or so. 4 Batteries, 4 sets tires, 2 exhaust systems from the cat on back. 4 maybe 5 sets brake pads. timing belt @ 75k as recommended. Big repair$: 2011- Alternator, 4 rotors, pads & 2 rear calipers. Never touched: motor, AT, Driveline components, susp/steer comp, plugs, wires, cooling, ps system, electrical, body hdwe.

Best SUV around
By Skinny on 09/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had 2 Troopers and loved them both. Large size SUV interior without taking up 3 parking spots. Very reliable. You can't find a better SUV for the price.

Awesome
By Sandy on 08/14/10 13:23 PM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

We purchased our vehicle new in 1999. Since then we have accumulated 172,400 miles. Accomplish recommended maintenance when required and keep driving. Agree it burns oil but which it states it would in the owner manual. I have driven many SUV's over the years and have yet to find one that I enjoy as much as my 1999 Trooper. If the engine should go out, I would not hesitate to replace the engine and keep driving. Car looks like it did the day we bought it. No corrosion and the paint is beautiful. The only way I would get rid of my Trooper is if they made another one.

Burns oil
By Frank on 06/25/10 18:39 PM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought the trooper used. It runs just great. The problem is it Burns about a quart of oil each tank full of gas. Looked on the Internet after we bought it, tears and found the 1998 and 1999 troopers have an oil burning problem.

Excellent ride and design
By jk on 08/06/09 18:47 PM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

At 209K miles we are about to trade in our trooper due to the C4C program. This is the 4th trooper in the family, 3 for us and 1 for our son. We have had no unexpected problems and I'm sorry that we have to sell it now, but the time is right.

I really wanted to keep liking
By rkmii on 09/30/08 18:06 PM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought it new but within 5 years it was sucking down a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. This is a well-maintained vehicle. We are talking about a defective engine here and Isuzu has refused and/or failed to do anything about it unless somebody's Trooper was under warranty while it was doing the same thing. Also has developed problems with transfer case, TOD system - pretty much the entire drive train. I don't abuse my vehicles. For these reasons I rate my Trooper as having poor reliability because without the motor it's nothing. This is my second Trooper and my second Isuzu. Both have been let-downs. I won't buy another Isuzu. Ever.