Used 1997 Isuzu Trooper SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Isuzu Trooper - Consumer Reviews

1997 Isuzu Trooper SUV

View reviews for a specific Trooper model:

I own a Rodeo and wanted a Trooper
By ccarnes

1997 Isuzu Trooper SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

My wife and I just bought our Trooper w/ 133 k miles for 3K. The previous owner told me about the oil cooler o-rings leaking oil. Through the research I had done, I knew this was a common and easy to fix problem. Isuzu fixed the oil leak problem in 98, but it is very common in every year before that. ALL ISUZU'S USE LOTS OF OIL. It does not affect performance or longevity. I feel like I could go anywhere in our Trooper. It still looks sharp, but at 6'4" and 300 lb. it is a little cramped for me in the drivers seat. My kids have much more space in the back seat than they do in my Rodeo.

Favorite Features

Cargo space, roomy back seat, great 4X4 capabiltiy, reliability, appearance, gas mileage is decent compared to other similar vehicles

Suggested Improvements

Oil leak is very common, acceleration is slow in the 3.2 models, drivers side is cramped for a big SUV, no touch button 4wd.

Perfect family car
By Jay Vaughn

1997 Isuzu Trooper SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Great and reliable vehicle, it has a strong unstoppable motor, automatic trans but it works great, 4wd works well never have had a single issue. has 225,176 miles. still stronger then ever runs like brand new. Have all paperwork on it its well maintained i would never want more from it.

Favorite Features

Offroading features.

Suggested Improvements

Really needs no improvements

Keep on tickin'
By DrDave

1997 Isuzu Trooper SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD

I'm the original owner. Have 196,000 miles on it. I'm on my 3rd starter. Talked with other owners with some problem...hard to replace too. Have to drop crossmember. What's up with filling the transmission fluid...stinks! It's hard to get to and no dip stick...who's the DIP? Better replace your tranny filter or it'll start bucking like a bronco. Under powered with rather lousy mpg. Keep up with the tunes and it'll keep going. Great 4wd with studs in winter since i live in snow country.

Favorite Features

Lets city slickers know I'm local.:)

Suggested Improvements

Starter location/quality; mpg; power!

The most underrated SUV ever.
By Trooper

1997 Isuzu Trooper SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD

I had this Isuzu for almost three years and it has been a real blessing for the whole family. It has the power one needs and the reliability to take you anywhere. This is way better car than any Ford or Chevy SUV can be.

Favorite Features

The A/C works great and the 4x4 is just amazing.

Suggested Improvements

The Trooper needs a less boxier exterior and it needs to improve its gas mileage.

lovin it
By mroute

1997 Isuzu Trooper SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Had 1 problem in 2 years, a broken power steering hose. A little heavy on the gas consumption, but it is a big vehicle. Nice tall ride, able to see all the other idiots coming at me in traffic. Comfy.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, power mirrors, factory sound set up.

Suggested Improvements

Needs anti-skip on the cd player, make rear seats removable.