1996 Isuzu Trooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Trooper model:
Best Vehicle We've Owned!
By cing2me on 03/15/10 18:20 PM (PDT)

1996 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this Trooper new and at 200,000 miles it is still going strong. The interior and exterior still look like new. The a/c gave out at about 120,000 miles. We had to replace the rotors at 140,000 miles and the mechanic couldn't believe it. The muffler was replaced at 150,000. We love the cargo room and passenger roominess plus the durability of the interior. Living in the upper peninsula of Michigan with tons of snow, I always feel secure in knowing I can make it home in all kinds of weather.

Very Reliable and Maintenance Free
By troopy on 03/15/09 18:47 PM (PDT)

1996 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought our 1996 Trooper used in 1999. This was our 2nd Trooper. We bought one brand new in 1991 and drove it until this purchase. This vehicle has been awesome. Has great acceleration/pick up, extremely comfortable and roomy. We just replaced the power steering hose. Otherwise, it has been maintenance free. It's our 3rd vehicle and I love driving it more than my Mercedes wagon. Will drive it until the wheels fall off.

Built to last
By animaldude53 on 06/20/08 18:07 PM (PDT)

1996 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

First off, this is an unbelievable vehicle. I bought the 96 in 2007 to haul a horse trailer and it does just fine. I'm 19 and this thing has been put through hell. I can out perform anyone out on the two tracks. It handles the harsh Michigan winters flawlessly, never gotten stuck! I bought it with 170k miles on it and now it has about 214k. Haven't replaced anything that wasn't due to my harsh offroading. I actually use the v6 3.2 litre to pull my dads 7000 lb crestliner. It spits and sputters, but once you put it it power mode it controls the boat rather nicely. Buy this truck you'll have it forever.

Avoid Isuzu
By TrutschEL on 07/05/06 19:43 PM (PDT)

1996 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Due to an underdesign, the engine burns oil FAST! The only fix is to rebuild the engine. This engine is not friendly for the DIY'er.

so...so....
By haeklee on 04/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I`m not gonna buy ISU again.

My second Trooper and not my last
By chrisS on 11/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this Trooper to replace an old Bronco2 that was finish at 180k. This truck has been flawlessly reliable, although I have to sell it because I need an SUV that can tow 7klbs which the Trooper can't. I've enjoyed being the person that could always get out when it snowed and to the rescues whenever someone needed a 4WD. I was also the person to drive when we needed comfort for 5 adults since the rear seat leg room in enormous (it even has foot rest). My gas mileage was good average around 17. The steering was a bit loose when I bought it but I was able to fix that by adjusting the steering box and upgrading the shocks and tires on the front.

Life with a Trooper
By Sabhaul on 04/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Dependable is the best thing about the Trooper. Handling could be alot better. Style is pretty nice. Dealer service and accessories could be better.

Holds Up Well
By NolaBound/Fiserhl on 09/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I am the original owner of a 1996 Isuzu Trooper. I bought it in January of 1997 and have replaced only the battery twice. There have been no mechanical problems and it even has the original brakes on the front. (The mechanic says I still have about 40% of the use of the front brakes remaining.) I now have 105,000 mile!

Buying another trooper
By revans on 05/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

We just gave our 96 Trooper to daughter, will get a 02 before they change to a GM base. Would like to have something negative to say about it but can't. We've lived in 3 staes put 70+ miles on it and have only done routine mnx..What else can you say. I'd prefer a more sophiscated vehicle but wife likes Trooper.

It is all about quality
By Morpheus on 03/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

All I have had are positive experiences. The snow in Washington has been terrible and the Trooper as been a trooper. I would tell everyone to buy this vehicle. I have never had a problem with rollovers or anything else. You want a good SUV that will get you through thick and thin. Then this is it.