Used 1996 Isuzu Trooper LS Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Isuzu Trooper - Consumer Reviews

1996 Isuzu Trooper

View reviews for a specific Trooper model:

best little suv i have owned.
By paul eckelman

1996 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

first it is a great suv when you compare it to its like minded vehicles. ie 4-runner, path finder, montero. the inside is awesome and so roomy. the seats are quality and have alot of flexibility for various layouts. the instrument cluster is great and logical. love the 4x4 option being inside. it is a truck first then a "car". not like todays. for the exterior being a 20 year old suv it is holding up great. original paint. recently the uv layer is starting to show-up. i really like the turn assist feature when you turn on the blinkers a side light comes on for the corners, never sen that on a suv. styling of course it is unique and part of its charm. for the engine it is doing well. typical repairs. water pump, timing belt, radiator. sometimes the oil return ports need some heavy cleaning. it does and will have a valve ticking noise then you have to sea foam it. the steering is a little loose it can be adjusted but it is my only complaint. it is the 2nd trooper i have owned and would buy another if the chance comes up. they are so under-rated you can get a good one for little money.

Best Vehicle We've Owned!
By cing2me

1996 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this Trooper new and at 200,000 miles it is still going strong. The interior and exterior still look like new. The a/c gave out at about 120,000 miles. We had to replace the rotors at 140,000 miles and the mechanic couldn't believe it. The muffler was replaced at 150,000. We love the cargo room and passenger roominess plus the durability of the interior. Living in the upper peninsula of Michigan with tons of snow, I always feel secure in knowing I can make it home in all kinds of weather.

Reliability, quality interior and exterior.

Start making them again.

Very Reliable and Maintenance Free
By troopy

1996 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought our 1996 Trooper used in 1999. This was our 2nd Trooper. We bought one brand new in 1991 and drove it until this purchase. This vehicle has been awesome. Has great acceleration/pick up, extremely comfortable and roomy. We just replaced the power steering hose. Otherwise, it has been maintenance free. It's our 3rd vehicle and I love driving it more than my Mercedes wagon. Will drive it until the wheels fall off.

Built to last
By animaldude53

1996 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

First off, this is an unbelievable vehicle. I bought the 96 in 2007 to haul a horse trailer and it does just fine. I'm 19 and this thing has been put through hell. I can out perform anyone out on the two tracks. It handles the harsh Michigan winters flawlessly, never gotten stuck! I bought it with 170k miles on it and now it has about 214k. Haven't replaced anything that wasn't due to my harsh offroading. I actually use the v6 3.2 litre to pull my dads 7000 lb crestliner. It spits and sputters, but once you put it it power mode it controls the boat rather nicely. Buy this truck you'll have it forever.

heated seats, cruise control, cd changer, power mode, winter mode,it's a great versitile vehicle for urban and suburban living...love it.

It has a ticking sound that was factory recalled due to paint chips in the engine some where, but it's easy to get used to (I just tell people its a diesel lol), needs better suspension, roof racks, and a stock push guard would rock.

Avoid Isuzu
By TrutschEL

1996 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Due to an underdesign, the engine burns oil FAST! The only fix is to rebuild the engine. This engine is not friendly for the DIY'er.

When it ran, it was a decent vehicle. Good gas mileage for an SUV, about 20mpg. Smooth shift to 4x4.

The need the industry standard oil return rings on the pistons. Isuzu went cheap and now the engine, as a design, burns oil very fast. If you buy this, watch your oil like a hawk!