Used 1995 Isuzu Trooper SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Isuzu Trooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Trooper model:

Lucy's summer vehicle
By lucy evans

1995 Isuzu Trooper SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Am selling said vehicle because we have sold our Condo in NC. This was bought to use as a summer vehicle. Have enjoyed owning this car and wish I could keep it but have another vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Drivability and reliability have been very good.

Salvation Army SUV is a 1-Ownner Steal!
By Doc MacKinnon

1995 Isuzu Trooper SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle from a dealer, who got it from a Salvation Army auction for $500; a true 1-owner vehicle with the paperwork still with it! It had 174,000 miles, and only flaw is a split in the center of the windshield, a hole in a back-up lens and a leak from the Power Steering Pressure Switch. The 5-speed manual was crisp and fine until WalMart drained the oil from it by error and then denied it when it burned out totally dry while on the highway- I had to limp home in 4th gear for 150 miles! Now, the replacement tranny is missing 5th (pending replacement) but I still get better MPG than my 2000 F- 150, and with the EPA estimate of 14 combined, I get 13.9 to 14.6 w/o 5th! I LOVE IT!

Favorite Features

Easy entry & exit, and my wife can get in from her wheelchair fairly easily as well. Excellent visibility, and the seats are comfy with a nice highway ride. The big rear door is a plus, as well as the hidden strap for holding the rear seat when it's flipped & folded. The Isuzu AM/FM/Cass rocks

Suggested Improvements

Trying to find accessories is a pain, as it that leaking switch! Isuzu said they wouldn't orphan Isuzu Owners- but the dealers did! But this is the BEST vehicle, and I've EVER OWNED in spite of the mediocre MPG. It's a solid and safe vehicle still stylish for being 15 years old! BRING 'EM BACK!

125,000 and still going
By Rich

1995 Isuzu Trooper SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it used 10 years ago. Still passes vehicle emissions with flying colors. Change oil regularly and no major problems. Can be noisy on the highway but 12-disc CD changer helps. Great for family camping trips, hunting and fishing. Likely will be my daughters first car in a couple more years. Second Trooper we've owned.

Solid Performer for 14 years
By blanton113

1995 Isuzu Trooper SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD

I have been driving my trooper for just over 9 years now. I bought it used and have replaced a couple starters, one set of belts, one battery, had the transmission flushed once, and replaced the spark plugs and wires on the engine once. Pretty inexpensive maintenance for what this vehicle has given back to me. It does have a pretty severe oil leak, and I think this caused the need for new starters, as the old starters were covered in oil when taken out. I love the visibility when in this vehicle, as the windows are large and easy to see out of. It doesn't handle the best, especially up hills, but I have been able to take it anywhere (off- road included). Preventative maintenance is key.

Favorite Features

reliability, hauling space, backseat leg room, off-road capability, window visibility, unique look, heated mirrors

Suggested Improvements

MPG, sound system quality, up-hill performance, accelerator sticks sometimes when temperature is below freezing

Mountain Driving Beast
By Sugarloafer

1995 Isuzu Trooper SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD

I live at 7200 feet and am constantly climbing mountains in dirt and snow. The trooper never leaves you worried you won't make it out. I've been driving mine in the dirt and snow almost exclusively for the last two years. Everyone who rides in it is very impressed. We got three feet of snow in three days and the Trooper had no problems while larger trucks and SUVs were getting stuck. I wish I could still buy a new one because I definitely would. The 18MPG doesn't seem that bad for as heavy as the vehicle is. Obviously, I would like to get better but for the reliability it can't be beat. Every door has a problem. Two windows don't go down and a lock doesn't work but I bought it to DRIVE HARD

Favorite Features

4WD is great. Reliability. Travel in snow and off road terrain is exceptional. The main thing is they just keep running and running and running. I'm at 165K and don't feel worried in the least to take it on a cross-country trip any time of year.

Suggested Improvements

In order to get out of 4WD you have to back up. A pain when on city streets that become clear of snow. AC/Heat not that great but you will survive. Burns oil.