Used 1992 Isuzu Trooper SUV Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Isuzu Trooper SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Trooper model:

just keeps going
By azlighthouse

1992 Isuzu Trooper SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this trooper 15 years ago when it had only 110000 miles on it. It still runs great at 304000 miles. I don't take it off road as often as I used to but it still does get a work out occasionally. I only wish the trailing arms on the rear suspension were tucked out of the way better because I've bent both sides on rocks 4 wheeling. It's starting to get some oil leaks but I can't blame it at 23 years old. I wish they still imported Isuzu's so if this one ever wears out I could get another one.

Reliable Lots of room

Bigger engine this was addressed in 1998 3 rd row seat Rear ac I live in Arizona and the back seat never gets very cool in the summer.

Isuzu Engines Last
By Isuzu Enthusiast

1992 Isuzu Trooper SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

With 17 yrs and 310,000 miles our Trooper is still going strong with good power. About 100 miles were log each day of level highway driving in Northern-Midwest for many years. The 4WD handled well in snow/ice and saved our lives several times. No major work has been needed on the engine or transmission. Items replaced over time included: tires, plugs, shocks, wires, starter, window controls, tubing, fuel pressure regulator, & 4WD front pins; not bad for 300K miles. Isuzu is historically known worldwide for the longevity of its truck engines, if treated with care.

Good visibility, large storage space & easy to load, comfortable on long drives, plenty of leg room, very rugged, heavy & solid, great control in bad weather with big snow tires

The shift indicated missing from dash was welcomed in later models.

Keep on Truckin'
By ksettle

1992 Isuzu Trooper SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD

After test driving Ford Explorer LTD edition and Jeep Cherokee we went back to Isuzu to finalize our purchase in 1992 and here we are 16 yrs later and I'm still on the road. Granted my mileage is low, I park it in a garage now these last couple of years, and I religiously change the oil as well as recommended maintenance at suggested intervals. I have truly enjoyed driving this vehicle in city, from Texas to Florida and throughout Texas, and up and down South Padre Island.

We really enjoy the roominess/comfort this vehicle has to offer. It's a tortoise in first gear so I start in second. Its geared down to haul heavy loads. L4wd has gotten me out of soft sand x 4 .Dependable. My favorite feature= the sound emitted from the back door shutting= heavy gauge steel=tank.

Engine oil ports bored too small on this model, causes tapping requiring strict oil changes, per Isuzu. Replaced AC x 3 ,starter, engine gaskets,repaired low pressure side of water pump, radiator, clutch at 100,000, now looking for a muffler. Parts have been expensive, found most myself online.

Troop
By Trooper

1992 Isuzu Trooper SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Today is a sad day! I think my trooper has finally met its end with me. I have 164,000 and its been in my family since day one. My father bought this vehicle new and gave it to me when I turned 16. I'm now 25 and have put on a large majority of the miles. I have only gone through normal maintenance and 2 starters. Today my fuel pump went out and I feel its time to trade for a new vehicle. I treated this car well and it took care of me.

Lots of room, great fit and finish. Reliability was superb, drivetrain never failed me once.

Could use more power.

Best used SUV ever
By Kingfish

1992 Isuzu Trooper SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD

These trucks aren't the prettiest suv and they don't get very good mileage. These are really the only negatives that come to mind. I have had 2 of these things and they are just unbeleivably reliable. The only thing Ive had to do to my most recent Trooper in 45K miles is put an exhaust system, battery and all belts on it. I bought it at 120K. The 4WD is trouble free as well. Great for a second car/weekend trip vehicle- thats what mine is turning into- just bought a VW tdi ( god I hope I dont regret that)

THe most dependable, trouble free used vehicle I have ever owned. Do not hesitate to purchase one.

Isuszu no longer makes this vehicle, truly a shame !