1992 Isuzu Trooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Trooper model:
Isuzu Engines Last
By Isuzu Enthusiast on 08/31/10 20:24 PM (PDT)

1992 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

With 17 yrs and 310,000 miles our Trooper is still going strong with good power. About 100 miles were log each day of level highway driving in Northern-Midwest for many years. The 4WD handled well in snow/ice and saved our lives several times. No major work has been needed on the engine or transmission. Items replaced over time included: tires, plugs, shocks, wires, starter, window controls, tubing, fuel pressure regulator, & 4WD front pins; not bad for 300K miles. Isuzu is historically known worldwide for the longevity of its truck engines, if treated with care.

Keep on Truckin'
By ksettle on 09/23/08 19:00 PM (PDT)

1992 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

After test driving Ford Explorer LTD edition and Jeep Cherokee we went back to Isuzu to finalize our purchase in 1992 and here we are 16 yrs later and I'm still on the road. Granted my mileage is low, I park it in a garage now these last couple of years, and I religiously change the oil as well as recommended maintenance at suggested intervals. I have truly enjoyed driving this vehicle in city, from Texas to Florida and throughout Texas, and up and down South Padre Island.

Troop
By Trooper on 06/19/07 18:06 PM (PDT)

1992 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Today is a sad day! I think my trooper has finally met its end with me. I have 164,000 and its been in my family since day one. My father bought this vehicle new and gave it to me when I turned 16. I'm now 25 and have put on a large majority of the miles. I have only gone through normal maintenance and 2 starters. Today my fuel pump went out and I feel its time to trade for a new vehicle. I treated this car well and it took care of me.

Best used SUV ever
By Kingfish on 07/28/05 12:04 PM (PDT)

1992 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

These trucks aren't the prettiest suv and they don't get very good mileage. These are really the only negatives that come to mind. I have had 2 of these things and they are just unbeleivably reliable. The only thing Ive had to do to my most recent Trooper in 45K miles is put an exhaust system, battery and all belts on it. I bought it at 120K. The 4WD is trouble free as well. Great for a second car/weekend trip vehicle- thats what mine is turning into- just bought a VW tdi ( god I hope I dont regret that)

Still great after 160k miles
By Pete Brown on 07/07/05 14:32 PM (PDT)

1992 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

This has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I live up in the mountains behind Anchorage so its in 4WD half the year. It's steep with lots of snow and ice in the winter yet always starts and doesn't get stuck. If you do regular maintenance on this vehicle, it will last forever.

IT JUST WON'T DIE!!!
By Trooper Luvr on 02/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my second Trooper. Bought it with 101,000 miles on it. These vehicles will go forever. Have put over 20,000 hard miles on it in the past 8 months. The transmission needed new gaskets, and the engine gaskets will need replaced at some point - this is a known problem with Isuzus. Also, had the shocks replaced because of body roll from old, wornout shocks. The body and interior are very solid - nothing rattles. I'm actually getting 19 mpg on the highway. If you're considering a used SUV, this is the one.

MY CAR WAS PART OF THE FAMILY
By TROOPER DEE on 10/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

MY VEHICLE BECAME PART OF THE FAMILY PART OF THE FAMILY LIFESTYLE - SPORTS. LOTS OF SPORTS GEAR AND SPORTS PLAYERS - NOT ALL MINE. THREE OF THE MY SONS TEAMMATES PARENTS BOUGHT THE SAME CAR.

You gotta love it
By Hamid on 10/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had the rig for about 12 years now with more than 240,000 on/off road miles. Never been in a shop for repair (short of changing clutch, brakes). It doesn't have the comfortable ride that you get in new SUV's and sure is like a truck. It's more of an off-road vehicle than on-road since it has great off- road capabilites.

92 Troopy
By Phipps on 06/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Best truck I ever had. Real handy for a growing family.

Best of production year
By Mountainman on 03/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Love my Trooper. Have almost 120 000 miles on it. One third of them were made on tough Rocky Mountain trails at over 10 000 ft altitude. Very reliable and tough SUV with bulletproof drivetrain and underpinnings. You should see the abuse I put on my Trooper, be it on highway or offroad. Never been in shop for serious problem. Was a bit underpowered up the hill at Colorado's high altitudes, but I fixed it with performance exaust and intake from Calmini. Excellent vehicle in a snow. Heater is underpowered for the car's size.