1991 Isuzu Trooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Trooper model:
Quirky but definitely has its niche.
By Esmartuek on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought in '04, I'm the second owner of my Trooper. This vehicle has been through it all; wildfires, hurricanes, blizzards, tornadoes, sandstorms, towed a 5,000 lb trailer from Texas to Utah and got 22 mpg while doing it! It's had its moments, but these vehicles are so renowned for their toughness and versatility that there isn't a month that goes by where a 4x4 enthusiast offers to buy it (it's not for sale).

Still truckin'
By Tj davis on 04/18/10 19:36 PM (PDT)

1991 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Nothing feels better than driving this 'minisemi' You sit so high, your Scenery is excellent. Steel bumpers, not that plastic that dealership always selling now. Those steel bumper saved my trooper when i crash it, engine turned out fine nothing wrong. They couldn't have done a better job with the interior, no plastic overload, like there is nowadays, just the essential glove box, that's it. excellent foot room. IMO this stick shift is shift to end all shifts, you definitely have a clear sense of what gear your in. Also easy to Self maintain easiest access in the hood.

Tank Trooper
By TrueIsuzu on 10/22/09 00:06 AM (PDT)

1991 Isuzu Trooper XS 4dr SUV 4WD

Had my trooper for a long time now, have 210k miles and counting. No real problems, great for hauling cargo. Lots of space when back seat is folded. Not the best on gas or most powerful engine, great 4x4. Gets the job done and takes all the abuse I can dish out. Made of steel, not plastic like all the cars made nowadays. It also feels great to drive around knowing that its a "real" SUV, not like these wannabees being made now that never see anything other than asphalt. Highly rec. to anyone looking for one. A great reliable car that won't quit. This car is still running strong and I feel I can still go at least another 100k miles before I replace the engine.

Fun
By CHRIS on 04/03/09 14:18 PM (PDT)

1991 Isuzu Trooper XS 4dr SUV 4WD

Have had this one since it was new. Has 216000 miles now and just going for its first clutch replacement.

Ten-Ton Untility
By mark on 10/25/08 13:17 PM (PDT)

1991 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 1991 Trooper in the summer of 2001 from an Isuzu dealer with 136,000 miles on the odometer. I performed several maintenance tasks, including replacement of front CV shafts, tie-rod ends, ball joints, shocks, and a tune-up. However, since that service interval, I have had no problems despite many, many harsh off-road excursions and an additional 88K miles (now ~ 227K mi). I have purchased another 1990 Trooper as a parts donor, and so I'll be Trooping for at least another 7 yrs. I like the spartan, utilitarian design; no nonsense, straight functional core. The tilt-up back seat is a BIG plus for hauling capacity. It is easy to work on.

1991 Isuzu Trooper
By LS-AL on 05/30/07 07:30 AM (PDT)

1991 Isuzu Trooper SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased a '91 Trooper about 2 yrs ago b/c my spouse had a '90 model for about 5 years and we loved it. We put 280,000 miles on our 1st one and it was a great vehicle. A couple of my family members have them as well. Now we own the '91 model and it has been great. We purchased it @ 89,000 miles and now have over 123,000 and it runs like a top. We now are purchasing an '01 limited, but will keep our other. The trooper is one of the best SUVs out there - wish they would start making them again! Its a shame.

A great used car for teens!
By jaydub on 04/23/07 13:55 PM (PDT)

1991 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I have done a pretty thorough tune up and finally am getting up to 25 mpg on the highway and 20 in town. My 89 LS actually rides much smoother, there is likely something going on with my suspension.

Wow it wont die
By Eliot Dick on 11/14/06 14:12 PM (PST)

1991 Isuzu Trooper SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I can not praise on this car enough. We bought it from the original owner with 220,000 miles for $1000. It was the best money spent in a long time. Now it's approaching 300k, we have spent about nothing on maintenance, but like others have said it is underpowered and the ac is not very great. We do have the automatic and it's starting to show signs of wear. I have beat the heck out of this thing off road and it has never let me down. Isuzu needs to step back up to the plate and build another excellent suv.

Amazing
By Harry on 11/09/06 07:51 AM (PST)

1991 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

The only problem I can find with this car is that the transmission had issues. Otherwise it's as basic as "Legos."

Great Inexpensive and rugged utility SUV
By NM91trooper on 07/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I wish they stil made these. Awesome roominess and rugged good looks. Steel bumpers- no plastic crap like you find all over the newer vehicles. A simple vehicle and generally easy to work on! I have 145,000 on it so far. U have put on 65,000. Yeah, it's a bit underpowered, but low range is nice if you need it. I've replaced a clutch at 133k, a steering gear box at 135k, a starter, and brakes. Very economical yet capable vehicle. Great 9" ground clearance with 31x10.5 tires. Keeping this one for a while-adding new sway bars and shocks, and maybe even a tube side steps and aftermarket rear facing 3rd row seat.