1990 Isuzu Trooper XS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Isuzu Trooper - Consumer Reviews

1990 Trooper Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Trooper model:

Sort Reviews by

My silver brick on wheels
By Kent Leech

1990 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

My trooper is also an 1989. Manual. 1.6l 4 cyl. . Purchased used in 98 with 140k miles, now at 205k. Its needed a new steering pump and cluch in that time; the rest is your usual service stuff. It has always been a reliable car with plenty of SPACE to carry stuff. It does burn oil, appx 1 quart/750 miles. AC didnt work when I got it so no review. I pretty much agree with the other reviews. So-so power, truck handling. Bit heavy on gas, 16-18 mpg, not bad considering the size. 4WD worked fine the 2 times I used it. All in all, a great well built utility vehicle! Just keeps on going...

Favorite Features

A solid, reliable utility vehicle. Simple layout. Versitile.

Suggested Improvements

Wish the AC worked! More power.

Super Under-rated Vehicle
By nld2thx

1990 Isuzu Trooper XS 4dr SUV 4WD

Trooper XS- 2.8L V6 Manual. I have 4 wheeled throughout the west. Bought used in Aug. 2000 @ 157,000 miles. In Spet 2002, it has 205,000. Same complaints as the others (low highway power, poor cornering etc). As long as I drive it like a truck and not a coupe, it runs well. It burns 1 quart oil/1500 miles. Gets about 16-20 mpg. In sub freezing weather, she takes a while to warm up, but runs without a problem. I towed a trailer with about 1500 pounds of stuff, cross country with my only problems being lack of power over the continental divide (I did this in August across the southern US without overheating). Overall, above average vehicle.

Favorite Features

Same as someone else said, manual everything, nothing to break that can't be fixed. Very utilitarian, no fluff. Very little obstruction of view (enormous windows, great for 4 wheeling in the scenic backcountry).

Suggested Improvements

Bigger engine perhaps (but I have likely been saved from many tickets with the current setup). I could not imagine driving the 4 cylinder (esp. automatic).

Back To Basic Fun
By mvsbraga

1990 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

My Trooper is actually a 1989. It 4- wheels great and keeps up with the big boys. It has the 2.8 V6 with a 5- speed. Lacks power on the highway and towing due to small engine. AC flow from the dash is low due to poor design. Great gas mileage for what it is (16-20). I average 17-17.5 in all around driving.

Favorite Features

Nice captain chairs. Jeep like features make it simple to clean the interior (carpet is velcroed in place & repair the exterior (bumpers are a three piece unit).

Suggested Improvements

Better AC air flow and larger engine.

Super Trooper
By Del Champion

1990 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Trooper S - 2.6L 4 cyl, 5-speed with 220K original miles. I still see a lot of them on the road. I can't say enough about the reliability of this vehicle. Bought a 2001 and couldn't part with my 90'. Repair history: Replaced original fuel pump at 160K, distributor at 170K and fuel injectors at 200K. It is eating some oil now. It's not hard on tires as it's still on only its third set. It came with Goodyear P235x75-15LT's. It still 4-wheels with the best and is much lighter than newer SUV's, giving it an advantage. It rides like it's on rails through a curve. It won't win any drag races but it was a lot less than a Toyota.

Favorite Features

Manual everything - nothing to break. No rust on the vehicle. Reliable

Suggested Improvements

Had some minor problems with the A/C, but that's been beefed up in newer versions. Same with the engine.

Puts the "U" in SUV
By Trooper Fan

1990 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

The Trooper truly is the most under-rated, overlooked midsized SUV. We have a ?90 Trooper-1st generation, purchased from my brother(?96 Trooper). The design makes it a true utility vehicle. The interior height is great for hauling-compare the room w/an Explorer and you will see the difference! The 4WD is great in the snow. The 4 cyl. 5-speed is not fast, but adequate. Handling? Well, it's a truck. The high profile boxy design makes windy days scary. This has been improved in recent years. The interior is basic, but comfortable. Interior noise is loud, and the ride is, well, it's a truck. The vehicle has been reliable. Overall, we love its usefulness, and will replace it with a newer version.

Favorite Features

4-weel drive Cargo room, even with the 2nd seat up Head room Versatility

Suggested Improvements

Sound insulation Ride Handling in the wind Stereo (Note:Newer Troopers have improved these areas)