1990 Isuzu Trooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Trooper model:
Great Vehicle!
By Great Vehicle! on 10/08/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought mine 2nd hand in 1998 for my 2 teenagers to share. It took all that they could dish out (on and off road). When they moved on to their own vehicles I took it over and modified her up and turned her into a baja exploration vehicle. I rebuilt the motor because of a cracked head and away we went! Now she has 325K miles on her as she resides at my vacation home in southern baja (Mexico) as my primary vehicle. she has never failed me in any of the brutal situations I've been in, she's a totally bomb proof and fearless SUV! All the positive things said in the above reviews are absolutely true. I LOVE IT! My problem now is getting general parts, they are getting harder to come by

Well named - it is a "Trooper!"
By jjcold on 12/26/09 19:45 PM (PST)

1990 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I just sold my 1990 Trooper with 171,000 miles on it, not because I wanted to but had to for monetary reasons. I'm already dreaming of the day I can buy another one, if I ever find one as good! Tough, tough, tough. Unstoppable in snow. Never a problem. Had the v6 engine and while not fast, it pulled strong. Awful gas mileage, but, oh well. at least it was cheap so no payments! Excellent driving position, comfortable seats (more supportive than the leather seats in my Chrysler 300m). An all around fun car to own and drive, can't wait to get my next one. I bet there aren't five car models on this entire web site that are more loved than these old Troopers!

Isuzu, Please a Retro
By Monroe Buford on 05/21/08 20:16 PM (PDT)

1990 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought used from orignal owner with 80K in 2005. Has 155k on it now and haven't put a penny in it except for oil changes and a few engine upgrades. Highly recommend K&N airflow kit and E3 plugs. Was getting 18 mpg and now constant 22 mpg with the 2.6 manual. A/C works good as well as everything else. Simple, efficent, roomy, tows my bike with no problem. Simple. Would like to know if anyone has knowledge of how to disconnect smog system without messing it up.

Good in the 90's not so good now.
By The Super Trooper on 11/16/06 01:48 AM (PST)

1990 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Pros: -Good ground clearance for a stock SUV (4x4). -Good utilitarian design. -Takes a beating and keeps on going. -4 wheel disk brakes. -Auto locking hubs. -Cheap to buy. -Big 21 gallon fuel tank. -Works well in tough 4x4 situations. -GM parts are cheap. -Tough looking. Cons -Bad gas mileage; I get 14-15 MPG with my V6. -Basic car, no luxury at all. -GM V6 engine is very underpowered and has needed almost every part replaced. -Not comfortable for long trips. -Bad wind noise. -The Isuzu parts are expensive. -Ugly looking. -No ABS or airbags. -AC keeps going out. -Paint fades fast. -No air filter for cabin.

SuperDuperTrooper
By Loren on 08/05/05 18:25 PM (PDT)

1990 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my 1990 4 cylinder from the original owner, my father in law. Every time he sees it he wishes he had it back! 226,000 miles, very tough off-road mileage. Bought heavy duty shocks and sway bars which helped handling a lot. Saving for the limited slip differential to get all this thing has to give. Great on trials, easy to turn around when no where else to go. Low gearing and ground clearance (both stock) makes this Trooper go anywhere I ask her to go. LOVE MY TROOPER!

My silver brick on wheels
By Kent Leech on 01/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

My trooper is also an 1989. Manual. 1.6l 4 cyl. . Purchased used in 98 with 140k miles, now at 205k. Its needed a new steering pump and cluch in that time; the rest is your usual service stuff. It has always been a reliable car with plenty of SPACE to carry stuff. It does burn oil, appx 1 quart/750 miles. AC didnt work when I got it so no review. I pretty much agree with the other reviews. So-so power, truck handling. Bit heavy on gas, 16-18 mpg, not bad considering the size. 4WD worked fine the 2 times I used it. All in all, a great well built utility vehicle! Just keeps on going...

Super Trooper
By Del Champion on 03/18/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Trooper S - 2.6L 4 cyl, 5-speed with 220K original miles. I still see a lot of them on the road. I can't say enough about the reliability of this vehicle. Bought a 2001 and couldn't part with my 90'. Repair history: Replaced original fuel pump at 160K, distributor at 170K and fuel injectors at 200K. It is eating some oil now. It's not hard on tires as it's still on only its third set. It came with Goodyear P235x75-15LT's. It still 4-wheels with the best and is much lighter than newer SUV's, giving it an advantage. It rides like it's on rails through a curve. It won't win any drag races but it was a lot less than a Toyota.

Puts the "U" in SUV
By Trooper Fan on 03/16/02 01:24 AM (PST)

1990 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

The Trooper truly is the most under-rated, overlooked midsized SUV. We have a ?90 Trooper-1st generation, purchased from my brother(?96 Trooper). The design makes it a true utility vehicle. The interior height is great for hauling-compare the room w/an Explorer and you will see the difference! The 4WD is great in the snow. The 4 cyl. 5-speed is not fast, but adequate. Handling? Well, it's a truck. The high profile boxy design makes windy days scary. This has been improved in recent years. The interior is basic, but comfortable. Interior noise is loud, and the ride is, well, it's a truck. The vehicle has been reliable. Overall, we love its usefulness, and will replace it with a newer version.