Used 1990 Isuzu Trooper S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Isuzu Trooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Trooper model:

Great Vehicle!
By Great Vehicle!

1990 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought mine 2nd hand in 1998 for my 2 teenagers to share. It took all that they could dish out (on and off road). When they moved on to their own vehicles I took it over and modified her up and turned her into a baja exploration vehicle. I rebuilt the motor because of a cracked head and away we went! Now she has 325K miles on her as she resides at my vacation home in southern baja (Mexico) as my primary vehicle. she has never failed me in any of the brutal situations I've been in, she's a totally bomb proof and fearless SUV! All the positive things said in the above reviews are absolutely true. I LOVE IT! My problem now is getting general parts, they are getting harder to come by

Uncomplicated vehicle, easy to work on, great headroom, turning radius, very reliable, economical 4 cylinder motor and the vehicle takes on whatever torturous environment you put it in.

When you buy one, spend the money and beef up the suspension system.

Well named - it is a "Trooper!"
By jjcold

1990 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I just sold my 1990 Trooper with 171,000 miles on it, not because I wanted to but had to for monetary reasons. I'm already dreaming of the day I can buy another one, if I ever find one as good! Tough, tough, tough. Unstoppable in snow. Never a problem. Had the v6 engine and while not fast, it pulled strong. Awful gas mileage, but, oh well. at least it was cheap so no payments! Excellent driving position, comfortable seats (more supportive than the leather seats in my Chrysler 300m). An all around fun car to own and drive, can't wait to get my next one. I bet there aren't five car models on this entire web site that are more loved than these old Troopers!

Tough, reliable, driving position, performance in bad weather, strong engine, easy to fix, reliable, quirky, split rear doors.

Better handling, better gas mileage.

Isuzu, Please a Retro
By Monroe Buford

1990 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought used from orignal owner with 80K in 2005. Has 155k on it now and haven't put a penny in it except for oil changes and a few engine upgrades. Highly recommend K&N airflow kit and E3 plugs. Was getting 18 mpg and now constant 22 mpg with the 2.6 manual. A/C works good as well as everything else. Simple, efficent, roomy, tows my bike with no problem. Simple. Would like to know if anyone has knowledge of how to disconnect smog system without messing it up.

Sit high, very open, great visibility, simple mechanics, versitility, nobody going to steal it. 4x4, goes anywhere, easy to manuver and park. Reliable, not a slave to any dealership. Underpriced used.

Need intermittent wipers, trim parts not easy to find. Yes, more power and 6 speed needed. No rust on mine but I know rust can be a problem. Be great with a good turbo diesel converted to run on veggie oil.

Good in the 90's not so good now.
By The Super Trooper

1990 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Pros: -Good ground clearance for a stock SUV (4x4). -Good utilitarian design. -Takes a beating and keeps on going. -4 wheel disk brakes. -Auto locking hubs. -Cheap to buy. -Big 21 gallon fuel tank. -Works well in tough 4x4 situations. -GM parts are cheap. -Tough looking. Cons -Bad gas mileage; I get 14-15 MPG with my V6. -Basic car, no luxury at all. -GM V6 engine is very underpowered and has needed almost every part replaced. -Not comfortable for long trips. -Bad wind noise. -The Isuzu parts are expensive. -Ugly looking. -No ABS or airbags. -AC keeps going out. -Paint fades fast. -No air filter for cabin.

The utilitarian design. Great for camping. Saved family's life in crash when a drunk driver hit them. Keeps go on going in 4x4 situations. Never got stuck anywhere I took it. It was mine.

More powerful engine with better fuel economy and less maintenance problems. Make the AC more reliable. Add some luxury. Cruise control needs to be added. Block engine noise and wind noise. Ride better.

SuperDuperTrooper
By Loren

1990 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my 1990 4 cylinder from the original owner, my father in law. Every time he sees it he wishes he had it back! 226,000 miles, very tough off-road mileage. Bought heavy duty shocks and sway bars which helped handling a lot. Saving for the limited slip differential to get all this thing has to give. Great on trials, easy to turn around when no where else to go. Low gearing and ground clearance (both stock) makes this Trooper go anywhere I ask her to go. LOVE MY TROOPER!

Utilitarian; good gas for 4x4.