1990 Isuzu Trooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Trooper model:
Great Vehicle!
By Great Vehicle! on 10/08/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought mine 2nd hand in 1998 for my 2 teenagers to share. It took all that they could dish out (on and off road). When they moved on to their own vehicles I took it over and modified her up and turned her into a baja exploration vehicle. I rebuilt the motor because of a cracked head and away we went! Now she has 325K miles on her as she resides at my vacation home in southern baja (Mexico) as my primary vehicle. she has never failed me in any of the brutal situations I've been in, she's a totally bomb proof and fearless SUV! All the positive things said in the above reviews are absolutely true. I LOVE IT! My problem now is getting general parts, they are getting harder to come by

Well named - it is a "Trooper!"
By jjcold on 12/26/09 19:45 PM (PST)

1990 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

I just sold my 1990 Trooper with 171,000 miles on it, not because I wanted to but had to for monetary reasons. I'm already dreaming of the day I can buy another one, if I ever find one as good! Tough, tough, tough. Unstoppable in snow. Never a problem. Had the v6 engine and while not fast, it pulled strong. Awful gas mileage, but, oh well. at least it was cheap so no payments! Excellent driving position, comfortable seats (more supportive than the leather seats in my Chrysler 300m). An all around fun car to own and drive, can't wait to get my next one. I bet there aren't five car models on this entire web site that are more loved than these old Troopers!

My Beloved Trooper II
By John Boy on 11/21/08 10:21 AM (PST)

1990 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Trooper brand new back in 1990. I have driven it 18 years now and put on 190,000 miles. I can't tell you how dependable and trustworthy this vehicle has been and still is. I have done all the repair work except the fuel pump and timing belt myself. I change the oil every 4000 miles and the fluids every 30K. I have had it axle deep in snow and sand and she never fails to get me home. I brought my new daughter home from the hospital in it so I could never sell it for that reason alone, but I wouldn't sell it anyway, this vehicle has always been there for me. 5 sets of tires. Original clutch! Gets 20 mpg still today. Not fast, but very dependable and trustworthy. Header installed!

Isuzu, Please a Retro
By Monroe Buford on 05/21/08 20:16 PM (PDT)

1990 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought used from orignal owner with 80K in 2005. Has 155k on it now and haven't put a penny in it except for oil changes and a few engine upgrades. Highly recommend K&N airflow kit and E3 plugs. Was getting 18 mpg and now constant 22 mpg with the 2.6 manual. A/C works good as well as everything else. Simple, efficent, roomy, tows my bike with no problem. Simple. Would like to know if anyone has knowledge of how to disconnect smog system without messing it up.

Good in the 90's not so good now.
By The Super Trooper on 11/16/06 01:48 AM (PST)

1990 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Pros: -Good ground clearance for a stock SUV (4x4). -Good utilitarian design. -Takes a beating and keeps on going. -4 wheel disk brakes. -Auto locking hubs. -Cheap to buy. -Big 21 gallon fuel tank. -Works well in tough 4x4 situations. -GM parts are cheap. -Tough looking. Cons -Bad gas mileage; I get 14-15 MPG with my V6. -Basic car, no luxury at all. -GM V6 engine is very underpowered and has needed almost every part replaced. -Not comfortable for long trips. -Bad wind noise. -The Isuzu parts are expensive. -Ugly looking. -No ABS or airbags. -AC keeps going out. -Paint fades fast. -No air filter for cabin.

Nice SUV to own
By Firefighter6928 on 10/11/05 10:39 AM (PDT)

1990 Isuzu Trooper XS 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this Trooper from the original owner who had 6 vehicles (different makes). The Trooper was given mainly oil changes, new clutch, radiator flush and that's it. When I bought it the odometer had 132,000 on it so I invested $3,500 in new B.F. Goodrich tires, re-wiring engine wires that gone bad, new a/c compressor, new shocks, TUNE-UP and a few other things that needed to be done. I change the oil every 3,000 miles, get good gas mileage especially on the highway. I've only driven on pavement and dirt roads but haven't taken it on the hills yet. But, I can say after all is said now, this is a great well built SUV to own!

SuperDuperTrooper
By Loren on 08/05/05 18:25 PM (PDT)

1990 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my 1990 4 cylinder from the original owner, my father in law. Every time he sees it he wishes he had it back! 226,000 miles, very tough off-road mileage. Bought heavy duty shocks and sway bars which helped handling a lot. Saving for the limited slip differential to get all this thing has to give. Great on trials, easy to turn around when no where else to go. Low gearing and ground clearance (both stock) makes this Trooper go anywhere I ask her to go. LOVE MY TROOPER!

Desert and Downtown Trooper!
By LTJohnson on 03/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I've loved it since I bought it in 1990! It's taken me, 3 passengers, 4 lawn chairs, camping table, lunch & packs safely and comfortably through sand & narrow canyons & over rocks. Short wheel base & narrow width make it a breeze to park (even compact spots) with plenty of room to get in and out. Acceleration is great on the flat & good uphill. Torque converter & radiator replaced on warranty; transmission computer after 8 years. Otherwise, expected maintenance.

Great SUV
By mbz300sdl on 03/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Well what can i say i have owned two Isuzu's a 1990 Trooper that has 199,000 miles and a 1999 Rodeo With 102,000 miles these are great suv's I am only 18 years old and have grown up around cars ranging from Fiats to Mercedes (first car-300SDL). Don't get me wrong i'm not saying that an Isuzu can equal a Mercedes in anything except price but for the money spent there is not better automoblies avalible.

Drive the wheels off it!!
By GA. REB on 06/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it 2 years old drove it for 11 years has 268,000 on it still runs good. Changed ALL fluids every 30k & oil every 5k. THE ISUZU TROOPER IS A TROOPER!!!!!