Used 2004 Isuzu Rodeo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Isuzu Rodeo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rodeo model:

Can't fix the problems!!!!
By sillyisuzu

2004 Isuzu Rodeo S Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

At first loved the car. Bought it new in 2005. However, after two years of ownership, the car would fail to start. It would begin to turn over, then cut off. I have to reset the auto door locks for it to start, and even then sometimes it won't, and its not the starter. It also burns oil and I have to check the oil levels weekly. The engine light has come on, and no one can tell me what the code means! The engine also regularly sticks in first gear and the engine whines, then finally engages. I had the tranny serviced, but they tell me there is no problem. Finally, the key design completely stinks! You can program the fob to open the door, but can't find anyone to program it to start the car.

Favorite Features

I do like the sound system and factory six CD player. I also like the fog lights, and I added a night light adjusting rear view mirror. When it runs correctly it is wonderful, but frankly I forget what that is like!

Suggested Improvements

Better mileage, better suspension (it is way too wobbly) and make key programming and service sites available to owners!

Good Except For A Few Issues
By islndgrl

2004 Isuzu Rodeo S Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My overall experience with this vehicle was okay. I bought it in 2006 at 46,000 miles. No major problems, had its regular oil changes and tune ups. At about 76,000 plus miles i started to notice stability issues, especially on express ways, it easily tilt in the wind, i thought that it was me but was confirm with other folks driving. At 100,000 plus miles the car making sharp left or right turns, or stopping on ramp or hills in traffic, would just shut off without warning. At 117,000 miles the car was totaled, with my son driving, he was able to walk away from it, i must say looking at the vehicle, you would not have believe that he would. The body on this vehicle is made very well... :)

Favorite Features

Front and rear. The shape is nice and back lights. Overall its just a nice looking SUV< :)

Suggested Improvements

Stability issues. At about 100,000 plus miles the car shuts off for no reason. Then after a few minutes would start up again. Never found out what was wrong even after getting the car checked out.. :(

Served me well despite issues...
By denmar68

2004 Isuzu Rodeo S Rwd 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my '04 Rodeo in Oct. 2006 with 22K miles on it. Four years later, it now has 86K on it. The only cons are the "check engine" light going on and off sporadically for no apparent reason, the car has problems starting maybe once a month (but it always starts), the gas mileage is not very good, and I've had to replace the battery once. I love the style of the exterior, but the interior is plain, basic and cheap looking. It has plenty of room for me and it will haul alot of stuff. My fiance does all the maintenance work on it and it's been overall, a pretty nice car.

Been Great
By Bandit

2004 Isuzu Rodeo S Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

When I bought this SUV in 2005, I was actually looking for a Nissan Xterra. But I got way more for my money with the Rodeo. It has over 100,000 miles on it now and is just been great! It has the 3.5 direct injection v6 and this has to be the most powerful in it's class. the only problem is it has always used a little oil since dat one, but if you are aware of this and keep an eye on it, it will never cause you grief. Overall,the car is great you won't be disappointed, except by maybe the gas mileage, which is to be expect on any SUV.

Favorite Features

very powerful v6, 6-disc cd changer for the factory!

Suggested Improvements

better fuel economy

Love it!
By sc rodeo

2004 Isuzu Rodeo S Rwd 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

My fourth Isuzu SUV. Bought it new in 04. This ride has given me more than my money's worth. I've always liked the looks, the performance and the reliability,- no unpleasant surprises. Predictable maintenance history and a compatible vehicle for rack systems, hitch systems, etc. It's flexible for carrying all sorts of cargo. Have put 112k miles on this thing and if it dies tomorrow, I'm still be glad I bought it.

Favorite Features

Good overall utilitarian work horse with adequate power and features for a very reasonable price. Like the looks too.

Suggested Improvements

Would have liked a firmer suspension on the 2WD, and a standard class III tow package. For me, a bit more leg room up front would have been great. Couldn't afford the 3.5 engine at the time, but understand it's a real rocket. Have no complaints with the 3.2.