2004 Isuzu Rodeo Consumer Reviews

2004 Isuzu Rodeo - Consumer Reviews

2004 Isuzu Rodeo S Rwd 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

View reviews for a specific Rodeo model:
Can't fix the problems!!!!
By sillyisuzu on 10/05/13 16:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Isuzu Rodeo S Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

At first loved the car. Bought it new in 2005. However, after two years of ownership, the car would fail to start. It would begin to turn over, then cut off. I have to reset the auto door locks for it to start, and even then sometimes it won't, and its not the starter. It also burns oil and I have to check the oil levels weekly. The engine light has come on, and no one can tell me what the code means! The engine also regularly sticks in first gear and the engine whines, then finally engages. I had the tranny serviced, but they tell me there is no problem. Finally, the key design completely stinks! You can program the fob to open the door, but can't find anyone to program it to start the car.

Good Except For A Few Issues
By islndgrl on 04/04/12 12:56 PM (PDT)

2004 Isuzu Rodeo S Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My overall experience with this vehicle was okay. I bought it in 2006 at 46,000 miles. No major problems, had its regular oil changes and tune ups. At about 76,000 plus miles i started to notice stability issues, especially on express ways, it easily tilt in the wind, i thought that it was me but was confirm with other folks driving. At 100,000 plus miles the car making sharp left or right turns, or stopping on ramp or hills in traffic, would just shut off without warning. At 117,000 miles the car was totaled, with my son driving, he was able to walk away from it, i must say looking at the vehicle, you would not have believe that he would. The body on this vehicle is made very well... :)

Served me well despite issues...
By denmar68 on 12/30/10 07:49 AM (PST)

2004 Isuzu Rodeo S Rwd 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my '04 Rodeo in Oct. 2006 with 22K miles on it. Four years later, it now has 86K on it. The only cons are the "check engine" light going on and off sporadically for no apparent reason, the car has problems starting maybe once a month (but it always starts), the gas mileage is not very good, and I've had to replace the battery once. I love the style of the exterior, but the interior is plain, basic and cheap looking. It has plenty of room for me and it will haul alot of stuff. My fiance does all the maintenance work on it and it's been overall, a pretty nice car.

Been Great
By Bandit on 08/16/10 04:52 AM (PDT)

2004 Isuzu Rodeo S Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

When I bought this SUV in 2005, I was actually looking for a Nissan Xterra. But I got way more for my money with the Rodeo. It has over 100,000 miles on it now and is just been great! It has the 3.5 direct injection v6 and this has to be the most powerful in it's class. the only problem is it has always used a little oil since dat one, but if you are aware of this and keep an eye on it, it will never cause you grief. Overall,the car is great you won't be disappointed, except by maybe the gas mileage, which is to be expect on any SUV.

Love it!
By sc rodeo on 08/04/09 12:02 PM (PDT)

2004 Isuzu Rodeo S Rwd 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

My fourth Isuzu SUV. Bought it new in 04. This ride has given me more than my money's worth. I've always liked the looks, the performance and the reliability,- no unpleasant surprises. Predictable maintenance history and a compatible vehicle for rack systems, hitch systems, etc. It's flexible for carrying all sorts of cargo. Have put 112k miles on this thing and if it dies tomorrow, I'm still be glad I bought it.

Get Rid Of It
By PEddie on 04/20/09 07:31 AM (PDT)

2004 Isuzu Rodeo S Rwd 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

Mushy ride, feels unsafe; REDUCED POWER light randomly comes on, effectively disabling the car, dangerous if you're not in your driveway when it happens; essentially you cannot count on it when you need it.

BEST MID SIZE SUV EVER
By gsxkid on 04/18/09 18:14 PM (PDT)

2004 Isuzu Rodeo S 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have the 3.5 direct injected motor. It has plently of power without hurting fuel mileage. My wife drives 85 miles to and from work everyday and it gets 24 mpg. I took it down the 1/4 mile track for fun and it run a 14.88@90 mph. I have taken it camping 1 time I went off road with it; it did great, I even pulled an 07 hummer h3 out of the mud. JUST GREAT SUV.

satisfied
By isuzu guy on 08/14/08 08:37 AM (PDT)

2004 Isuzu Rodeo S Rwd 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

Just went over the 90k mile mark on my 04 Rodeo I purchased new almost 5 yrs ago (my 4th Isuzu since 88). Bought the extended warranty but never had to use it. I've been extremely happy with this ride. No surprises (knock on wood). Still get over 20 mpg on trips and 15 mpg in town. With all the rebates, I keep my eye on new SUVs but really can't justify the expense as the equivalent value in today's market is just too steep. I'd hate to unload this Rodeo, it still runs so well. Timely maintenance and an honest mechanic are key. I have no reservations about taking this Rodeo on long trips. I feel real fortunate to have owned this SUV, having a ride in the shop is no fun.

My second Rodeo, just as great!!
By Melanie on 08/02/08 17:36 PM (PDT)

2004 Isuzu Rodeo S Rwd 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second Rodeo. My first was a 2002 LS. I never had any problem with it. Another driver hit me and I think I would have been killed if I were not in my Rodeo. So I bought another one with the insurance money. This one is newer and has the 3.5L engine, the gray trim, upgraded sound and fog lights. I love it even more than my old one. It has great pick up, great interior. I love the controls for the stereo on the steering wheel. The price was great and it is in perfect condition. I know it will last forever too. My old one never had any problem. These vehicles are such great quality and value and low maintenance that I can't understand why Isuzu quit making them. I love mine!

Just what the doctor ordered
By columbia rodeo on 06/28/07 08:20 AM (PDT)

2004 Isuzu Rodeo S Rwd 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

For me, with a towing package, this is the ideal suv for the money. I don't know where you can find an equal value in today's market. To date, other than oil changes, I've only replaced the drive belt and tires. This is my 4th Isuzu since the mid 80s, I average about 120k mi/truck between purchases. With routine attention to maintenance they've all been reliable rides. Like many others on this site I can not understand the low ratings from editors. I'd like to see Isuzu revive the Trooper and Rodeo in the US soon.