Blown Engine
By Kris Davis on
2003 Isuzu Rodeo S V6 Rwd 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)
Bought this vehicle brand new at the dealership. I got 13-15mph from day 1, no matter how I drove it. About 3 months ago, the low oil light came on. I immediately pulled over, checked the level, and added 4 quarts to bring it to full. For a 5 quart engine, to warn with only 1 quart in the engine is just a little too little. Since that day, I checked the engine every time I started it up for the day and had the oil pan gasket replaced. The engine started making a rapping noise on the day the oil got that low. Since then it has gotten worse and worse. The mechanic told me that it was just the lifters making a little noise. Yesterday the engine seized while driving. Not happy!
Favorite Features
Strong 4x4
Suggested Improvements
An oil warning light that comes on when it is supposed to.
By the_dude_074
on 01/23/12 16:45 PM (PST)

Same problem here. I checked and changed my oil regularly and religiously. Kept constant maintenance on the vehicle. "Babied" to the point of being OCD. But at 200, 000 miles my engine started the same rapping. I knew it was a rod knocking. I immediately pulled over and checked the oil. I was down by 4 quarts and the oil light NEVER came on. I added the oil, but the damage was already done. I checked the undercarriage for a leak. NOTHING. However, I did find THIS: "Occasional problems on this vehicle are failure of the Intake Manifold Gaskets, the Fuel Level Sensor, and the Engine Short Block. Failure of the Intake Manifold Gaskets may cause a rough idle or the Check Engine Light to illuminate. Failure of the Fuel Tank Sending Unit may cause the Fuel Gauge to be inaccurate and may turn on the Check Engine Light. Lack of maintenance can cause the pistons rings to stick resulting in excessive engine oil usage. This engine oil usage can lead to piston rod bearing failure resulting in replacement of the Short Block."

By jim85035
on 11/21/11 19:44 PM (PST)

For your engine to leak 4 qts of oil you must have seen oil in the driveway. You neglect to say how many miles you have. You must check your oil at least 1 time every 1000 miles.You have failed to maintain your vehicle properly.