Used 2003 Isuzu Rodeo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Isuzu Rodeo - Consumer Reviews

2003 Isuzu Rodeo

View reviews for a specific Rodeo model:

My Twitch
By sidless

2003 Isuzu Rodeo S V6 Rwd 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

My girlfriend bought the Rodeo since we wanted something that would haul a pop up camper and also offered covered storage for all our stuff. 'Twitch' has been a great little ride. The Bridgestones are a bit loud, but nothing that turning up the radio won't cure. Had to replace rotors and brakes at 51K; put powerslots and ceramic pads on her and now she'll stop on a dime! The shocks wore out quickly in the rear, so I replaced F/R shocks with Bilsteins and now all is well. Good acceleration, and 22mpg average gas mileage. Seats are comfortable for short hauls but a little uncomfortable on long trips. Overall, we love our little 'Twitch'!

Favorite Features

6-disk CD player, good sound system. Great acceleration, and quite dependable.

Suggested Improvements

Seats could be a little more adjustable for comfort. Lumbar feels like a crowbar is pressing into your back after 100 miles or so.

Gas in city
By Me

2003 Isuzu Rodeo S V6 Rwd 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

The only operational problem I have had with this vehicle is the transmission. It was covered under warranty since it was only three months old. I believe since then Isuzu has corrected the transmission problems on other 2003 models.

Favorite Features

It has a light up mirror on the rear view. It is great if the passenger needs light when the driver doesn't. No glare

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders in back could be a little more user friendly and conveniently located.

Beats any high priced GM/Ford
By isuzuV64x4

2003 Isuzu Rodeo S V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned several SUVs in the past and this is the first one that did not cost me an arm and a leg to purchase or maintain. The GMC Envoy I bought for my wife ended up costing me an extra $900 6 months later when a rock hit her headlamp assembly and broke it. The headlamp assembly alone was $900 to replace! GM has officially priced themselves out of my market. Cost of ownership on the Rodeo is very low. As long as the oil is changed and manufacturers suggested maintenance is followed, this SUV will last for many years. The tailgate's sideways opening is a little awkward in tight spots, but functional nonetheless. I could not be happier with the drive and overall operation.

Favorite Features

6-disk in dash CD changer, standard power options, winter driving capability, low cost of ownership.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Bad Egg
By Jorge A.

2003 Isuzu Rodeo S V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

I have been very unimpressed with this SUV. I have owned three different SUV's and this one has performed the poorest. I bought it brand new from a dealer which told me I would love it. From day one the vehicle has been emitting a rotten egg smell, the ride is very bouncy and bumpy. I have spoken to the sales reps, service dept, and have even taken the vehicle in for a diagnoses of the problems. I have recieved negative results in getting the issues fixed. Gas mileage is below average. I would just like a better one that works correctly. I should be able to get Isuzu on a Lemon law.

Favorite Features

Radio controls on the steering wheel, remote alarm/ keyless entry. On the fly four wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

WARRANTY, ROTTEN EGG SMELL,SHOCKS, REAR DOOR SHOULD OPEN UP OR DOWN NOT SIDEWAYS. MORE POWER SHOULD BE STANDARD FOR THE V6.

A better engine could improve a lot!
By TicoJax

2003 Isuzu Rodeo S Rwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for about 8 months. I think 2.2 engine is not strong enough to handle the size of vehicle. Fuel is 20.5 mpg, which is good for a SUV. It has a noise engine when you accelerate. Interior is just average, it could be much better.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

To include more options in standard version. Competition offers a better deal with more extras (cruise control, A/C, tilt).