2003 Isuzu Rodeo SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rodeo model:
Great SUV
By Bryan on 04/29/10 21:01 PM (PDT)

2003 Isuzu Rodeo SUV S V6 Rwd 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in 2003 for my wife. Having owned a 1994 Rodeo with 180,000 with no problems I knew this was the way to go and I wasn't let down. Our 03 rodeo now has 130,000 miles and still drives like new. We've performed regular oil changes and had a new timing belt installed at 70,000 miles. (not because it was giving us problems, that's just what you do at $70,000 miles) but that's it! This car has never been in the shop. This car is so inexpensive to own and maintain. You simply can't beat a rodeo!

Blown Engine
By Kris Davis on 09/22/09 23:39 PM (PDT)

2003 Isuzu Rodeo SUV S V6 Rwd 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this vehicle brand new at the dealership. I got 13-15mph from day 1, no matter how I drove it. About 3 months ago, the low oil light came on. I immediately pulled over, checked the level, and added 4 quarts to bring it to full. For a 5 quart engine, to warn with only 1 quart in the engine is just a little too little. Since that day, I checked the engine every time I started it up for the day and had the oil pan gasket replaced. The engine started making a rapping noise on the day the oil got that low. Since then it has gotten worse and worse. The mechanic told me that it was just the lifters making a little noise. Yesterday the engine seized while driving. Not happy!

*warning* Blown Crank Shaft in Engine
By LoveMyRodeo on 08/18/09 23:08 PM (PDT)

2003 Isuzu Rodeo SUV S V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

My rodeo never could keep oil in engine. Did not leak on driveway and even tho routine oil changes were performed, the engine light did NOT come on to warn about low oil in between routine changes. Crank shaft in engine blew and beautiful well built vehicle dead. Would have kept this truck forever, but ended up being a nightmare to own.

Dependable, economical
By workin' man on 04/11/09 05:48 AM (PDT)

2003 Isuzu Rodeo SUV S Rwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my Rodeo since late 2002, using it as a work vehicle. Overall, it's been a dependable work truck with good gas mileage and plenty of ground clearance. So far, I've put 104,000 miles on it with few problems. It's easy to work on, but hasn't needed much repair so far.

Homeowner, Fisherman, Hobbyist
By Picky Driver on 08/16/07 11:17 AM (PDT)

2003 Isuzu Rodeo SUV S V6 Rwd 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

Very dependable. Great rear bumper is a 6 inch wide rest, a shelf or a seat when tailgate is open (like no other SUV has). Also, because back window lifts up separate from the tailgate, I can carry 12 ft long pipes and lumber just extending 2 feet out the back window while it is nearly all the way down. The seats lay down as a flat surface unlike most SUVs that leave the passenger seats at an angle when folded downward. CONS: I notice that the paint chips at each rock dent (lacks flexibility) then quickly rusts underneath. Tires squeal in tight turns even at idle speed. What other compact SUV is built to tow over 4000 pounds? It pulls a 17' fiberglass boat easily on road or in & out of ramps.

Outstanding SUV
By Art on 04/27/07 20:44 PM (PDT)

2003 Isuzu Rodeo SUV S V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

Excellent SUV - 100K miles, and still going strong. A little shy on leg room for a tall person, but otherwise comfortable. Very reliable, have had a couple of problems getting the starter to engage in hot weather - dealer not able to fix. mileage is about 18.5 on hwy, could be better. However, other traits make up for this. Very good in snow and ice. Highly recommended.

Suitable for a Millionaire
By Allen on 10/29/06 17:30 PM (PST)

2003 Isuzu Rodeo SUV S V6 Rwd 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I looked at the Rodeo because a millionaire friend of mine loved his. I test drove it and loved it. It has been unbelievably reliable and trouble free. It has 55,000 miles in 2 1/2 years and runs like new. I haven't put a dime into it.

I love mine
By wendy on 01/29/06 18:15 PM (PST)

2003 Isuzu Rodeo SUV S V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

I've had my car for about 3 years, I still love it. Only problem I've experienced is with the passenger window getting stuck up or down. It's very roomy and comfortable.

I love it!
By Brandi on 01/15/06 22:55 PM (PST)

2003 Isuzu Rodeo SUV S V6 Rwd 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I love it. I traded my tiny Camaro in for this lovely SUV. This is actually our 2nd Rodeo to own and we love it. I like the length of the warranty. It covers just about everything that could go wrong. We had a Honda Passport and although they resemble each other they are nothing like each other. The Honda was a LEMON but our Rodeo is an Angel. The interior is nice and roomy and the seats are very comfy (we do NOT have lumbar support, you only need that if you are like 100 years old). The trunk area is large enough to hold all of our luggage for family vacations plus some and then we still have the luggage rack on top. I love the size of the vehicle because it's not small but not big.

Great Car
By Lar on 01/15/06 20:19 PM (PST)

2003 Isuzu Rodeo SUV S V6 Rwd 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

We are in our early 60's and have enjoyed the Rodeo. We owned a 1995 Rodeo, also v6 and we got at least 8-11 MPG better than the 2003 model. My mechanic says that the 2003 engine is far more difficult to service but it is fly-by-wire in that there are no linkages, all electronic. We aren't happy that the Rodeo has been taken out of production.