2002 Isuzu Rodeo S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Isuzu Rodeo - Consumer Reviews

2002 Rodeo Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rodeo model:

Sort Reviews by

9 yrs old, 154K and still running strong
By lynn3765

2002 Isuzu Rodeo LS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this in 2002 after reading many reviews and talking to a few different owners. I've had this vehicle for 9 years and other than normal wear and tear repairs, have not had any issues. I am still getting 23 mpg on the highway; about 19 city. As long as the routine maintenance is kept up, this vehicle has been a gem.

Worth the money
By randymarsh

2002 Isuzu Rodeo LS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

We bought ours in 2002 new and it has been a great car for the money. Don't expect 4runner or Pathfinder comforts in these cars, but they are much cheaper. The ride is a little stiff and the interior is cheap, but positives are a fairly peppy engine and good exterior styling. These do burn oil, but if you check it regularly and top it off as needed, you should never have any problems. At 112K miles, the only issue was the ABS light coming on a couple of times around 30K miles. Make sure they are maintained (fuel filter every 30K and the previously mentioned oil burning). Transmission fluid is sealed so a lot of places can't change it, but an Amco can handle it.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, low end power

Suggested Improvements

Why a sealed transmission fluid?

Often Seen high mileage
By Mountain Canuck

2002 Isuzu Rodeo S V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

Every vehicle line has its lemons. Our Rodeo SE has been a solid and reliable all-round truck. I have been the only owner from 12 km and have beat it around in the snow and through the bush a lot. This year we picked up a 2700 lb (loaded) tent trailer for it to haul. After hauling the trailer fully loaded up a 12-15% minimum highway grade for about 40km, it didn't falter once. In fact it performed very well. Changing all fluids at the regular service intervals helps keep it going. If you are concerned about mileage, change your fuel filter. It's a $12 part and only takes 15- 20mins. Mine is changed yearly due to local delivery of poor fuel quality. Its like driving a new truck every year.

Favorite Features

Very reliable. Wish they were sold in Canada again. We'd buy a second one if we needed it. Relatively maintenance free operation. Loading and unloading is good as the rear door opens up to the curb side. It also pulls Jeeps out of snow and mud easily. Otherwise, easy to work on.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission fluid filler and dipstick on the engine topside would be nice. I have found that when refilling the transmission fluid, It helps to keep the engine running while topping it off after the initial fill.

It's a Winner!
By Texasgal

2002 Isuzu Rodeo LS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

When I bought my rodeo, it already had 100,000 miles on it. I am at 168,000 now and driving strong. No problems at all except had to replace tires and alternator. And I have crack in the radiator. But other than that, it is very dependable and handles well, especially on dirt, hilly roads. I just wish it got better gas mileage, only get about 260 miles per tank now. Use to get almost 300 when I first bought it.

Favorite Features

Reliable and handles very well.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage!

88000+ and still running strong
By FHFMA

2002 Isuzu Rodeo S V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this SUV new after an issue with a used car we bought from the same dealer. While it wasn't our first choice for SUV I had owned a 1984 Isuzu PU with a diesel engine one of the first in the country and had great service with it. This is my wife's primary vehicle and while it avg 18mpg around town it will get 25mpg on hwy trips. It's heavy even for the V6 and autotrans accounts for less MPG. Only problem was the transmission had to be replaced at 60K due to a known factory defect. This was covered by the long warranty. Only other issue now will be the cost to replace the timing belt. Important to note this vehicle was supplied to HONDA and sold as the PILOT prior to them making one.

Favorite Features

Swing out tailgate, under car rear tire storage, Power and winter buttons on auto transmission. Good cruise control, Power with V6. Cheap tire replacement cost.Can be serviced at Honda dealers as well as ISUZU though Honda will charge more.

Suggested Improvements

Driver leg room could be improved but that's mainly due to the seat not sliding back enough, which is why the rear seat leg room is so good.

The worst
By ruffneck1981

2002 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I got this June 27,2009, this car leaks oil everywhere, it drinks gas 16 mpg. It will cost u 10 dollars a day in gas on your commute 46 miles. Am sorry I brought this SUV, can't wait to get rid of it.

Favorite Features

I can bring anything I want in the back and on top.

Suggested Improvements

better mpg

2002 rodeo s
By gizmosfriend

2002 Isuzu Rodeo S 2WD 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used with low miles, plan jane suv 4 cyl and 5 speed manual with ac, it never let me down. I have taken it across country 2 times in hot weather and it ran cool and ac worked fine, I got about 27-28 mpg on the trips. The only thing I've done to it is put a battery and a k and n air filter on it in 4 years. It just runs and runs.

Favorite Features

cheap to buy and cheap to operate.

Suggested Improvements

2.2 liter a little low on power but it runs fine on the highway.

What next?
By NY Mary

2002 Isuzu Rodeo S V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2002 Rodeo in Dec. of 2002 and I had high hopes for it as I had previously owned a 1999 Rodeo. The first one had a defect in the paint that Isuzu never took care of but the car ran great. Unfortunately, my 2002 Rodeo had what started out as an oil leak that the dealership could never find and ended with a new engine having to be put in. My warranty covered everything but the inconvenience and aggravation of bringing it back each time was too much. As for the body, every time I look at it I see new dings and defects in the paint which I've grown accustomed to. The interior is cheap plastic which you're always finding mystery bits and pieces.

Favorite Features

Room to load groceries, gear, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Since they don't make them any longer there's nothing to say but I would have preferred the back to open up differently like flat down if not both ways.

Not a reliable car in the long run
By devon

2002 Isuzu Rodeo LSE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used and it was great, I loved it and everything was fine... and then it hit the 60,000 mile mark. EVERYTHING fell apart on the car. Head gasket, fuel pump, transmission, EVP, everything went on the car. The same thing happened to a family member with the same model of car. If you have one, get rid of it before the mileage gets too high or you'll end up with a couple thousand dollars worth of repairs. Even following the scheduled maintenance, and regular oil changes the car doesn't hold up.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission fluid is hard to check (you have to climb up under the engine) and impossible to refill at home, needs a mechanic with a special pump. Basically impossible to check it without paying someone $60.

2 year owner
By CW

2002 Isuzu Rodeo LS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I was overall somewhat satisfied with this car. It was easy to load and unload since the floor of the cargo area was up higher than say a minivan. It was extremely reliable, who wouldn't love that?

Favorite Features

Very reliable!

Suggested Improvements

The windshield was not big enough, the frame on the side of the drivers seat was some times an obstrution to the road. Especially on curves. It was a bumpy ride and the seats could have been more comfortable.