2001 Isuzu Rodeo SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rodeo model:
2001 Isuzu Rodeo LS 2WD OUTSTANDING SUV!
By gunner4life on 12/08/12 12:32 PM (PST)

2001 Isuzu Rodeo SUV LS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my 01 rodeo half of its life. its been as reliable as a honda should be! it does lack horsepower no doubt. but the v6 does the job! the paint has held up and still looks great. as well as the leather seats! the only thing I can point out is the steel wheels. not a big fan of them! and as far as the recall/ rusted frame, mine has held up! always garaged kept! and hasn't seen salty roads for 6years now so I am sure that helps. mine has 168,000 miles and still running and going strong! I will never sell this SUV! Ive been making improvements as of lately with the new decals and wheel replacement.... I would purchase another rodeo down the road if need be! a 2004 model NEXT TIME....

Problems? Maybe a couple small ones
By redg on 03/16/11 11:11 AM (PDT)

2001 Isuzu Rodeo SUV LS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I'm in California. No salted roads, not much rain or snow. I've read the reviews of rusted frames but mine has no rust. I bought the car, a previous rental, one year old and, except for the fuel sender, replaced at 75000 mi. and the recurring engine light for the egr valve (Just remove it and clean it...easy to do) it's performed flawlessly. Only gets 20mpg on the road and uses a quart of oil (I run 5-30 synthetic) between changes. Rough riding without a full load of people. I love this car. Plenty of power and nimble handling, I guess the winter drive selection must sense temperature because it only worked once...in winter. Power drive is a nice touch. A poor man's Honda Passport

BEWARW!!! Stay Away from 98-02 Rodeos. MAJOR SAFTEY RECALL!!
By eroeder7966 on 01/12/11 04:27 AM (PST)

2001 Isuzu Rodeo SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned my 01 Rodeo LS since 06. Got it with 58,286 miles. To this day looks and runs like new with the exception of check engine light caused buy sending unit. Love the truck. But on November 23,2010 while traveling 40mph the bracket connecting the trailing arm to the frame broke away causing the vehicle to sway out of control. This problem is common to 90-95% of all 98-02 Isuzu Rodeos, Axioms and Honda Passports. Both manufactures havea fix for the brackets, however these fixes will only work on a small percentage of the affected vehicles due to excessive frame rust. My 01 Rodeo with only 81,192 miles was deemed unrepairable Isuzu is now in the process of buying it back for only $4500.

Longest I've ever owned vehicle
By Good Enough on 09/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Isuzu Rodeo SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this thing used with 12,000 miles on it. I've had the same issues it seems everyone has with the Rodeo. The check engine light has been on since it had 65,000 miles on it. The gas gauge issue was fixed once with about 85,000 miles on it. Now the same problem is back. I ignore the check engine light and just reset the tripometer each time I fill it up and put gas in when I get to 250-275 miles to be safe. I've had no major mechanical issues. I had the transmission serviced at around 85,000 to replace the gaskets. Nothing more. After reading others reviews I consider myself lucky. This is the third Rodeo I've owned. I still get around 18 MPG and it still tows camper and small boat.

Great fun reliable vehicle
By Loved it!!! on 09/03/10 01:47 AM (PDT)

2001 Isuzu Rodeo SUV LSE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I loved this SUV. NEVER once failed me. There was only one problem with it that had something to do with the axles but the mechanics could never figure it out. Even the small things that couldn't be fixed, it never failed to start up and drive anywhere. I could tell it was starting to die though, at only 93000 miles. It didn't have much longer to go. It was very well taken care of, i just don't believe they're meant to last very long.

Not Shabby
By MWA3C on 07/16/10 07:52 AM (PDT)

2001 Isuzu Rodeo SUV LS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this ISUZU RODEO based on looks and handling with 110,000 miles on her. Burns about 1qt of oil every 2500 miles or so using 15w40 (owners manual suggests 15w40 and up, go with it, 10w30 will just run right out of her). Overall not a bad truck, could use a little more HP under the hood but for a 3.0 L V6 it's not horrible. The suspension is a bit hard on the back with not a lot of travel so you hit the frame bumpers often.. Overall I find long drives are really comfortable. Currently have 155,000 miles on it and still going strong. Regularly driven on 6 hour drives between states w/o issue.

Good, but
By TCope on 07/03/10 15:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Isuzu Rodeo SUV S 2WD 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

We bought a 4-cyl Rodeo brand new, loved the exterior design; paint is still good at 82k miles. Almost immediately had trouble with brake drums and rotors that Isuzu would not cover. Harder to get service now that they are out of business. Had to replace exhaust manifold twice, and now EGR valve and fuel tank sensor have gone bad. Used to get 26-30 mpg highway, now 16-17 mpg in town. 4-cyl just doesn't have enough power, and with rear while drive it is terrible in the snow. If you're buying, look for a 6-cyl with 4WD. We loved driving the truck, but we're through with the repair bills.

Nightmare!
By Kelly on 06/26/10 15:18 PM (PDT)

2001 Isuzu Rodeo SUV LS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this car with 150,000 miles, nothing but problems since I have had it. Converter stopped up, when it is first started, it doesn't want to go. Been in the shop for going on 3 weeks, mechanic can not figure out what is wrong with it. on the positive side, it is comfortable and looks great. if only it was as reliable as it looked!

Good Vehicle
By Rodeo Girl on 06/24/10 06:19 AM (PDT)

2001 Isuzu Rodeo SUV LSE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great SUV for a small family. I had absolutely no problems with it until it reached 173,000 miles. The transmission begin to slip. I have been in a accident in 2007 and it still ran great until the end of 2009 now I am having the transmission rebuilt and will hold on to it as long as possible. I love my vehicle.

Happy Camper
By Vince on 05/03/10 13:42 PM (PDT)

2001 Isuzu Rodeo SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

78,000 miles when I bought it, now 161,000. Most reliable vehicle I've owned, but at 120,000 I had preventive maintenance done to it also, installed a new timing belt, water pump, oil pump, and belt tensioner. All four items came together as a parts kit and they are all together in the engine too, kit made sense to do all. Could do better on oil consumption, but not too terrible. Uses cheap fuel sending units and replacements are cheap too, I replaced the first one myself at 81,000 and the second one at 158,000, cost less than $40 each. I get a ABS light when the trans fluid is low once a year, have to add fluid through drain plug. Lots of shops scam people on this, check levels 1st and save $$$!