Used 2001 Isuzu Rodeo LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Isuzu Rodeo - Consumer Reviews

2001 Isuzu Rodeo

View reviews for a specific Rodeo model:

BEWARW!!! Stay Away from 98-02 Rodeos. MAJOR SAFTEY RECALL!!
By eroeder7966

2001 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned my 01 Rodeo LS since 06. Got it with 58,286 miles. To this day looks and runs like new with the exception of check engine light caused buy sending unit. Love the truck. But on November 23,2010 while traveling 40mph the bracket connecting the trailing arm to the frame broke away causing the vehicle to sway out of control. This problem is common to 90-95% of all 98-02 Isuzu Rodeos, Axioms and Honda Passports. Both manufactures havea fix for the brackets, however these fixes will only work on a small percentage of the affected vehicles due to excessive frame rust. My 01 Rodeo with only 81,192 miles was deemed unrepairable Isuzu is now in the process of buying it back for only $4500.

Favorite Features

Love the truck but I guess the power and the stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Use steel that lasts longer than 10 years when building frames.

Longest I've ever owned vehicle
By Good Enough

2001 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this thing used with 12,000 miles on it. I've had the same issues it seems everyone has with the Rodeo. The check engine light has been on since it had 65,000 miles on it. The gas gauge issue was fixed once with about 85,000 miles on it. Now the same problem is back. I ignore the check engine light and just reset the tripometer each time I fill it up and put gas in when I get to 250-275 miles to be safe. I've had no major mechanical issues. I had the transmission serviced at around 85,000 to replace the gaskets. Nothing more. After reading others reviews I consider myself lucky. This is the third Rodeo I've owned. I still get around 18 MPG and it still tows camper and small boat.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage for a vehicle with 193,000 miles on it. Generally been very reliable. Great in snow and ice. The power mode for towing and the winter mode for ice are great features you still don't see on many other SUVs if any. Towing capable right out of the box.

Suggested Improvements

They don't make it anymore so what's the point. The gas gauge issue has been the biggest pain in the behind. Driver seat has become very broken down, but I guess that's expected after that many miles.

Happy Camper
By Vince

2001 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

78,000 miles when I bought it, now 161,000. Most reliable vehicle I've owned, but at 120,000 I had preventive maintenance done to it also, installed a new timing belt, water pump, oil pump, and belt tensioner. All four items came together as a parts kit and they are all together in the engine too, kit made sense to do all. Could do better on oil consumption, but not too terrible. Uses cheap fuel sending units and replacements are cheap too, I replaced the first one myself at 81,000 and the second one at 158,000, cost less than $40 each. I get a ABS light when the trans fluid is low once a year, have to add fluid through drain plug. Lots of shops scam people on this, check levels 1st and save $$$!

Favorite Features

Loads of fun to drive with the upgrades below. I drive my Rodeo really hard and it takes it very well. Good year round performance on road, and off road. Rides great with upgrades, been cross country several times with no worries. Wish the driver's seat would go back one or two more clicks.

Suggested Improvements

Added Old Man Emu off road coils for Isuzu Trooper to rear and adjusted the front to match the 3" lift. Added a little larger tires and Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks too. Class 4 tow hitch and trans cooler for towing. Manual front locking hubs to help with gas mileage on highway when not 4x4.