Used 2001 Isuzu Rodeo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Isuzu Rodeo - Consumer Reviews

2001 Isuzu Rodeo

View reviews for a specific Rodeo model:

2001 Isuzu Rodeo LS 2WD OUTSTANDING SUV!
By gunner4life

2001 Isuzu Rodeo LS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my 01 rodeo half of its life. its been as reliable as a honda should be! it does lack horsepower no doubt. but the v6 does the job! the paint has held up and still looks great. as well as the leather seats! the only thing I can point out is the steel wheels. not a big fan of them! and as far as the recall/ rusted frame, mine has held up! always garaged kept! and hasn't seen salty roads for 6years now so I am sure that helps. mine has 168,000 miles and still running and going strong! I will never sell this SUV! Ive been making improvements as of lately with the new decals and wheel replacement.... I would purchase another rodeo down the road if need be! a 2004 model NEXT TIME....

Favorite Features

THE LOOKS!

Suggested Improvements

Well, they don't make this SUV anymore so no need to state anything.

Problems? Maybe a couple small ones
By redg

2001 Isuzu Rodeo LS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I'm in California. No salted roads, not much rain or snow. I've read the reviews of rusted frames but mine has no rust. I bought the car, a previous rental, one year old and, except for the fuel sender, replaced at 75000 mi. and the recurring engine light for the egr valve (Just remove it and clean it...easy to do) it's performed flawlessly. Only gets 20mpg on the road and uses a quart of oil (I run 5-30 synthetic) between changes. Rough riding without a full load of people. I love this car. Plenty of power and nimble handling, I guess the winter drive selection must sense temperature because it only worked once...in winter. Power drive is a nice touch. A poor man's Honda Passport

Favorite Features

Plenty of quick power Nimble handling Likes big loads in back

Suggested Improvements

Fuel sender EGR problems Fuel mileage rough ride

BEWARW!!! Stay Away from 98-02 Rodeos. MAJOR SAFTEY RECALL!!
By eroeder7966

2001 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned my 01 Rodeo LS since 06. Got it with 58,286 miles. To this day looks and runs like new with the exception of check engine light caused buy sending unit. Love the truck. But on November 23,2010 while traveling 40mph the bracket connecting the trailing arm to the frame broke away causing the vehicle to sway out of control. This problem is common to 90-95% of all 98-02 Isuzu Rodeos, Axioms and Honda Passports. Both manufactures havea fix for the brackets, however these fixes will only work on a small percentage of the affected vehicles due to excessive frame rust. My 01 Rodeo with only 81,192 miles was deemed unrepairable Isuzu is now in the process of buying it back for only $4500.

Favorite Features

Love the truck but I guess the power and the stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Use steel that lasts longer than 10 years when building frames.

Longest I've ever owned vehicle
By Good Enough

2001 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this thing used with 12,000 miles on it. I've had the same issues it seems everyone has with the Rodeo. The check engine light has been on since it had 65,000 miles on it. The gas gauge issue was fixed once with about 85,000 miles on it. Now the same problem is back. I ignore the check engine light and just reset the tripometer each time I fill it up and put gas in when I get to 250-275 miles to be safe. I've had no major mechanical issues. I had the transmission serviced at around 85,000 to replace the gaskets. Nothing more. After reading others reviews I consider myself lucky. This is the third Rodeo I've owned. I still get around 18 MPG and it still tows camper and small boat.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage for a vehicle with 193,000 miles on it. Generally been very reliable. Great in snow and ice. The power mode for towing and the winter mode for ice are great features you still don't see on many other SUVs if any. Towing capable right out of the box.

Suggested Improvements

They don't make it anymore so what's the point. The gas gauge issue has been the biggest pain in the behind. Driver seat has become very broken down, but I guess that's expected after that many miles.

Great fun reliable vehicle
By Loved it!!!

2001 Isuzu Rodeo LSE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I loved this SUV. NEVER once failed me. There was only one problem with it that had something to do with the axles but the mechanics could never figure it out. Even the small things that couldn't be fixed, it never failed to start up and drive anywhere. I could tell it was starting to die though, at only 93000 miles. It didn't have much longer to go. It was very well taken care of, i just don't believe they're meant to last very long.

Favorite Features

Style, comfort, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Make em' last longer.