Used 1999 Isuzu Rodeo SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Isuzu Rodeo SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rodeo model:

Like a Timex, takes a licking...
By powderbud

1999 Isuzu Rodeo SUV LS 4dr SUV

I bought my '99 Rodeo in 2000 with exactly 30k miles on it. I am now at almost 350k miles. This is my 2nd Rodeo. At 100k miles, I had to replace the clutch for $1100. That is probably my biggest complaint about the Rodeo. GM built the engine, and clearly they wanted to insure repair costs were ridiculously high. Even to change the thermostat requires removing the manifold pushing the cost at a shop to over $150. On most cars, replacing an $7 thermostat takes all of 5 min and a screwdriver. I also had the rear diff assy replaced at about 150k miles. Bought one used for $500, been fine ever since. My Rodey blows 4Runners, etc away going up I-70 to the mountains every weekend.

Horsepower: 210bhp. At the time, it was the most power in it's class. 5 spd tranny - never had a problem, and far outperforms any auto tranny I've driven still. DIN sized dash mount for stereo - don't be stuck with the overpriced, low quality manufacturers junk. Reliability. My friends & family still can't believe the miles I've got out of this old truck and it still looks good. Change the oil regularly, the O2 sensors, wash & wax, and you too can get 300,000 or more miles out of these Rodeos. It amazes me that Isuzu couldn't keep up with the competition on creature comforts that sell. Great, reliable vehicles in my opinion.

Don't tie the sunroof option to automatic transmissions. Stupid idea. Forget the 6 disc CD player, they never work for long. Fuel gauge clearly has a problem, find a new supplier. More comfortable seats would make long, multi day drives easier. Move the engine thermostat to where the average DIY mechanic can replace such a mundane part, and put a cabin air filter in. None of these will happen since Isuzu no longer sells vehicles in the U.S.

185k and still going
By zack_morris

1999 Isuzu Rodeo SUV LSE 4dr SUV

Have had this car for 185k and I'm pleasantly surprised that it's still kicking. Sure, repairs have been needed, but the transmission and engine are still good. The 2 major issues were a defect where the steering column wore through a brake line (covered under warranty), and the ECM on-board computer failed at 165k, causing the engine to missfire and transmission to go wacky, took a while to troubleshoot that one. But overall I'm super pleased with the longevity, versatility, ride, cargo capacity, and perfect size in this mid-sized SUV. I'm planning to retire the old boy at 200k, and I'm having difficulty finding a similar sized SUV with a V6 and the same interior space/cargo room

My perfect Mom Car
By csnickie

1999 Isuzu Rodeo SUV S V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased a used 99 Rodeo just before I became a mom.....giving up my truck. Safety was the #1 factor, and love that it "Frame on Chassis" not unibody. Now with over 185,000 mile on it, it is still the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. As with the rest, the gas gadge went out...drop the tank and add a new one....and it was worth my sanity. For girls who love trucks, like to 4x4 in the snow, or have to haul a trailer, I wouldn't drive anything else. Was actually rear ended by a Chevy Surburban once, and the tire on the back absorbed both the impact and damage. I also drove it to the bodyshop. As all cars, alternator, starter, h20 pump replaced. 185,000 mile though...and counting.

Safety, Spare tire easy to get to and absorbs any impact.

Fix the dar Gas Gadge Single, Tanks are not fun to drop and replace....but worth the replacement.

1999 Rodeo "The Best"
By RJP

1999 Isuzu Rodeo SUV LS 4dr SUV

Bought my 99 Rodeo about 7 years ago "used" with 30K miles. Been the BEST Auto I have ever had and I have owned many ...... !! Serviced and changed oil regularly as scheduled. Now has over 135,000 miles and still runs great and is nice and tight. Only repairs made during my 105k ownership aside from tires & brakes is a starter replacement and gasket leak to sealed transmission about $400.00 cost. and a couple of batteries. Made many long trips it is a pleasure to drive. Average Hwy 21 mpg at 70 & 75 miles an hour. Wish I could find another with lower miles would buy it in a heart beat ..... You gotta shoot-em to kill - em ..... Great Mid-Size SUV ... !!

Lots of Pep on V6 and handles great

Sound System Speakers

Many problems to follow my purchase
By amber

1999 Isuzu Rodeo SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

The day after I purchased this SUV at 63,000 I was replacing parts. That should have been my warning, but I really liked my Isuzu. The truck has a lot of problems that maybe a handy person can fix themselves with the help of a junk yard. I have had to replace problems including both catalytic converter$, oxygen sensor, tires, brakes and rotors, cv boots, the windows don't roll up and or down, Ac, gas gauge fluctuates on a full tank will blink as if on empty and out, power steering pump broke, burns excessive oil, horrible on gas, keyless entry had to be replaced, and heat shield had to be removed. I have owned my truck for a few years, now at 126,000 mi.

It is spacious for your adventures. The roof rack comes in handy as well as the cargo area. Good looking truck if you keep it up.

No suggestions, discontinued product! For a reason...