Used 1998 Isuzu Rodeo SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Isuzu Rodeo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rodeo model:

My "Beater with a heater"
By quagmire86

1998 Isuzu Rodeo SUV LS 4dr SUV

I bought this rig that ran but had an overheating problem. Previous owner said the water pump was bad. I paid $600 for it cuz it was in poor shape. I replaced the water pump and timing belt but it still overheated. Common problem with the Rodeo (3.2L)V6 were bad head gaskets. Since it was a project vehicle, I had time to work on it. I spent many weeks going from head to tail repairing/replacing issues with it. The SUV is somewhat unrefined (due to age) but I love driving it. Major issues with this car is the frame rusts out from rear axle back and is a recall/safety issue. I love my Rodeo and though I don't "Off-Road" with it, it is great even with 206,000 miles on it. Love it!

Favorite Features

Body styling, push-button/on the fly 4 wheel drive, lay flat rear seats for tons of storage, Vintage truck ride, Decent gas mileage (as compared to my Chevy Silverado 2500 with 6.0L engine), four door to store groceries and install a baby seat for grandson. Multi-speed intermittent wipers.

Suggested Improvements

Since it is out of production, it is a moot point but the interior (courtesy lighting) really leaves a lot to be desired. Lots of road noise (but I should have put that in the favorite features). Give "Joe Isuzu" his own reality show. Definitely a "Galvanized" frame because the rear end is very compromised due to road salt in the northern climates.

Great car, just the best
By luke702

1998 Isuzu Rodeo SUV LS 4dr SUV

I've had over 20 cars including high end (such as MB S600, etc). This car has outlived every single one, and I'm sure it will outlive military tanks! Recently I had to sell it, which I didn't want to do, at the time the car had about 280K miles and was still running strong. Loaned the vehicle to a friend who abused it for a couple of years, and still the car NEVER had ANY problems. The VERY FEW things that I had to fix were minor.

Favorite Features

Value Performance Comfort Ride quality Reliability Longetivity

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back, or build cars/suv's like this one again.

Satisfied
By ccarnes

1998 Isuzu Rodeo SUV LS 4dr SUV

I have put 50K hard miles on my Rodeo in less than 3 yrs. bringing the total miles upto 160,000.Twice a week I drive 130 miles over three different high elevation mountain passes.I have always felt safe and never gotten stuck.I have made a few minor repairs(brake pads twice, alternator,EGR,fuel pump and I had to disconnect the horn ) and now it appears that the computer may be going out.Sometimes it dies immediately after starting up, idles roughly, & there is a minor delay in the acceleration.The Check Engine light comes on, but it will not give the code reader a code.This sucks, but I am more than happy to put in the time and $ to fix it.

Favorite Features

Interior space,Visual Appeal,4X4,Decent MPG,Reliability

Suggested Improvements

AC is not sufficent,Rear seat does not completely fold down,Stiff suspension can make the ride bumpy

Amazing
By terry b

1998 Isuzu Rodeo SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my Rodeo I had a 91 Rodeo an loved it, it now has over 200,000 miles so i just had to check out the newer model an suggest you do the same this truck is super reliable

I love my rodeo
By Linda

1998 Isuzu Rodeo SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned my rodeo almost 12 years. I am the original owner. There have been minimal problems with it. I debated getting a new vehicle after five years and again after eight years and again after ten years; however I just can't part with it and now I would never get enough money out of it to make it worth selling. I have never been left stranded with it. I have done all the maintenance as required and been proactive to do repairs before necessary. I take good care of it and it has always been garaged. Everyone has always thought it was new. I will probably never get rid of it . I have 160,000 miles on it and it still looks great both inside and out. I love it.

Favorite Features

It is fun and sporty to drive. It is great in snow and on the boat ramps. I like the truck feel, but the classy design.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage could be better, but it still is not bad for a truck.