1998 Isuzu Rodeo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rodeo model:
My "Beater with a heater"
By quagmire86 on 11/09/13 07:49 AM (PST)

1998 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4dr SUV

I bought this rig that ran but had an overheating problem. Previous owner said the water pump was bad. I paid $600 for it cuz it was in poor shape. I replaced the water pump and timing belt but it still overheated. Common problem with the Rodeo (3.2L)V6 were bad head gaskets. Since it was a project vehicle, I had time to work on it. I spent many weeks going from head to tail repairing/replacing issues with it. The SUV is somewhat unrefined (due to age) but I love driving it. Major issues with this car is the frame rusts out from rear axle back and is a recall/safety issue. I love my Rodeo and though I don't "Off-Road" with it, it is great even with 206,000 miles on it. Love it!

Great car, just the best
By luke702 on 08/20/13 12:03 PM (PDT)

1998 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4dr SUV

I've had over 20 cars including high end (such as MB S600, etc). This car has outlived every single one, and I'm sure it will outlive military tanks! Recently I had to sell it, which I didn't want to do, at the time the car had about 280K miles and was still running strong. Loaned the vehicle to a friend who abused it for a couple of years, and still the car NEVER had ANY problems. The VERY FEW things that I had to fix were minor.

Satisfied
By ccarnes on 01/30/11 16:13 PM (PST)

1998 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4dr SUV

I have put 50K hard miles on my Rodeo in less than 3 yrs. bringing the total miles upto 160,000.Twice a week I drive 130 miles over three different high elevation mountain passes.I have always felt safe and never gotten stuck.I have made a few minor repairs(brake pads twice, alternator,EGR,fuel pump and I had to disconnect the horn ) and now it appears that the computer may be going out.Sometimes it dies immediately after starting up, idles roughly, & there is a minor delay in the acceleration.The Check Engine light comes on, but it will not give the code reader a code.This sucks, but I am more than happy to put in the time and $ to fix it.

Amazing
By terry b on 07/21/10 10:26 AM (PDT)

1998 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my Rodeo I had a 91 Rodeo an loved it, it now has over 200,000 miles so i just had to check out the newer model an suggest you do the same this truck is super reliable

I love my rodeo
By Linda on 02/20/10 14:11 PM (PST)

1998 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned my rodeo almost 12 years. I am the original owner. There have been minimal problems with it. I debated getting a new vehicle after five years and again after eight years and again after ten years; however I just can't part with it and now I would never get enough money out of it to make it worth selling. I have never been left stranded with it. I have done all the maintenance as required and been proactive to do repairs before necessary. I take good care of it and it has always been garaged. Everyone has always thought it was new. I will probably never get rid of it . I have 160,000 miles on it and it still looks great both inside and out. I love it.

looks nice but a beast to work on
By officerjones85 on 11/19/09 08:21 AM (PST)

1998 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4dr SUV 4WD

It is a Nice looking car I'll give it that, but parts are very expensive. If your wanting to save a buck and fix it yourself forget it. Its so compact and difficult to work. You'll be spending hours on minor projects.

Great vehicle for all purposes
By Rowdy-Mom on 08/21/09 13:42 PM (PDT)

1998 Isuzu Rodeo S V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I can do anything in this truck. It looks good. Plenty of hwy power & p'up. Climbs anything off-road, serious fun. Holds a ton of stuff. Pulls 3500 lb. trailer-load. Unfortunately, the alternator was undersized, so have had it rebuilt twice already. I like that it's now actually smaller than many other SUV/crosses out there, which aren't even really true 4WD. Gets 18-24 mpg. But, in the winter the mpg stinks, down to 14-18 with my studded snows in Colorado mtns. I don't understand why the resale is so low. I'm the original owner, 11 years so far, 100K miles. Before this I had an '84 Trooper for 14 years which was also great, but gutless.

Great Vehicle
By jp12 on 07/30/09 18:25 PM (PDT)

1998 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Our Rodeo has 157,000 on it. Ran the thing all over the east coast.Bought it used with 29,000 on it. The upper spring perches rusted off of the frame rail.Frame still looks good though. Bought some perches from a junk yard down south, they look new. If the weld comes out ok, we will run this vehicle another 157,000. Now only going to be used for new england winters. Does use more oil than it should,we just keep an eye on the level.

Great SUV for $$
By chefjasonQ on 06/26/09 06:45 AM (PDT)

1998 Isuzu Rodeo S V6 4dr SUV

I purchased a '98 Rodeo as a second car in 2007, with 138K miles on it. I now have over 160K with an alternator being the only repair. It runs great, has plenty of power, decent ride, good looks but awful gas mileage. On a trip I can squeak out 18mpg highway but in mixed driving, about 14mpg tops so lots of frequent $50 fill ups with the 18 gallon tank. For $22K new I might want more in this truck but I paid $2800 and it's been worth every penny. So much so I'm looking to find a low mileage 2004. For 10 years old, it's a great used truck. It's not a Honda but beats the hell out of a 10 year old Blazer. Actually, I'd take it over a 5 year old Blazer!!

I love mine!
By K on 05/22/09 08:11 AM (PDT)

1998 Isuzu Rodeo S V6 4dr SUV

I got this Rodeo after having owned a '93 Rodeo. I am planning on buying another one! I love it, I lived in Ohio and went to college in Tennessee and my Rodeo got me through dozens of long trips over the years and remained solid. I love the toughness of the vehicle and the ability to keep running. I maintained the truck with oil changes, belts, tires, etc. I have had a few minor problems, one fan went out that cost me $200, and I have a small coolant leak right now, but what do you expect at 160k miles! I have put nearly 100k miles on the Rodeo since purchasing it, and feel I have more then got my money's worth. My husband and I call it "Old Faithful"!