1997 Isuzu Rodeo SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rodeo model:
Under rated workhorse
By michael on 02/05/14 06:04 AM (PST)

1997 Isuzu Rodeo SUV S V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this gem in 2000 with only 14k on the odometer. I currently have 152k on it now. I have used it for traveling across country with my family, camping trips and of course, done some serious off-roading. I have only had minor repairs I have made to the truck, brakes, hoses, belts, timing belt and tensioner, alternator and battery. This has been , by far, the most durable and reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Fantastic truck!

Runs like new at 168,000 miles
By PC on 03/25/10 12:24 PM (PDT)

1997 Isuzu Rodeo SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 1997 V6 Isuzu Rodeo with 108,000 miles on it. Currently I am at 168,000 miles and it runs perfectly. I change the oil every 3,000 miles and it doesn't use any oil between changes. I've replaced the starter and alternator and brakes. Runs great on the highway as well as in town. I run BF Goodrich All Terrain tires on it and have pulled quite a few vehicles out of snow drifts. I think the only complaint I have is the frail design of the cup holder. The body has no rust and the finish of the paint still looks new. This truck is my daily driver and I'm curious to see how many miles I can put on it. 200,000 miles will be no problem.

GREAT SUV FOR $$
By Matt on 08/02/09 14:21 PM (PDT)

1997 Isuzu Rodeo SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

You get 1-2 mpg more if you leave the A/c button off. Great car to drive, wonderful A/C & heater for the front. Not so good in the back especially in cold weather. Great 4WD & no problems with that at all. I had to replace the rear differential only because the dealership I was taking it to wasn't checking the rear differential and of course claimed no responsibility even though I had the paperwork showing they had done 97% of all the engine & oil change work. With close to 180,00o miles I'm going to turn it in for a newer model under the klunker deal. Good luck!

Great truck
By kdbanks on 04/28/09 11:43 AM (PDT)

1997 Isuzu Rodeo SUV LS 4dr SUV

I've had this Rodeo for going on 9 years, and have not had a single mechanical problem. It drives great, the engine is perfect (mechanics comment on it all the time), and is fun to drive. Not the best gas mileage, but it is an SUV. Highly recommend!

Very good, reliable truck
By Mikhail on 04/01/09 10:57 AM (PDT)

1997 Isuzu Rodeo SUV S 4dr SUV

I've owned this truck for about 7 years and had no major issues of any kind. Just general maintenance, brakes, etc. Please do not save money on oil and this car may run for up to 200000 miles. Mine has approx 140000 miles, my friend has Trooper with over 200000 miles and it is still going strong. Use Castrol synthetic blend 5w/30 for your high mileage Isuzu truck.

Awesome workhorse
By valerie on 08/22/07 05:22 AM (PDT)

1997 Isuzu Rodeo SUV S 4dr SUV

I drive a paper route 7 days a week and go through autos, however, that stopped when my hubby bought this one by mistake at the auction. 4 cylinder, manual transmission, manual everything. In the last 3.5 years all we have done are oil, brakes, and tires. I drive 89,000 rough, killer miles every year. I never worry about this one leaving me stranded, unlike our new family car. I think this one will make a million miles. Best workhorse ever!! This is the workhorse that keeps on tickin' tickin' and tickin'. I am cruel to autos on paper routes, but this one is a keeper. Best mistake purchase my hubby ever made for me. Great, great, great!

So far so good and lovin it
By jrodtaclet on 07/31/07 11:20 AM (PDT)

1997 Isuzu Rodeo SUV S V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased the car in 05/06 for $2500 with 113K on it. I inmediately replaced the timing belt and thermostat. One year later and and 11K later, the car runs like a dream. These are things that I have done to the car: installed timing belt $550, manual hubs $100, window tint $60, spark plugs $30, trans oil change $110, and remote start. I'll tell you what! this is a great ride and drives great at 70 to 90 mph which is normal in Northern Virginia.

1997 Isuzu rodeo
By Jsducks on 07/12/07 12:57 PM (PDT)

1997 Isuzu Rodeo SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have enjoyed my Rodeo. 1997 purchased after 6 months as a fleet rental. It has proved highly reliable. Fuel ecoenomy is not great but not bad either. Only issues are seal problems for minor oil leaks. The vehicle rides and drives great.

Undecided
By Rusty on 12/28/06 19:51 PM (PST)

1997 Isuzu Rodeo SUV S V6 4dr SUV 4WD

This car is amazing off-road with its Dana 44 and low end torque, it climbs up hills I can barely walk up with ease. However my Rodeo does have its fair share of problems, chassis is rusting, 2nd alternator (it's in a horrible location) oil leak, no a/c, windows roll up very slow, NO CUP HOLDERS ISUZU!, and now my cv joints need to be replaced - about $1300. I about had a heart attack. That's about a grand more than I have. Overall though this SUV is awesome, maybe I'm just having bad mechanical luck.

Exellent SUV for the Buck!
By Hi John on 11/16/06 05:27 AM (PST)

1997 Isuzu Rodeo SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have a 05 Explorer 4x4, 98 Expedition 2WD. I needed a 4x4 for me to drive, my wife drives the 4x4. I purchased this the Rodeo with 114K miles for $2500 dollars. The car is in great shape and I love everything about it. I've put a remote start, tinted windows, radio, few things here and there. But, man this is the best SUV for the money.