Used 1997 Isuzu Rodeo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Isuzu Rodeo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rodeo model:

Under rated workhorse
By michael

1997 Isuzu Rodeo S V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this gem in 2000 with only 14k on the odometer. I currently have 152k on it now. I have used it for traveling across country with my family, camping trips and of course, done some serious off-roading. I have only had minor repairs I have made to the truck, brakes, hoses, belts, timing belt and tensioner, alternator and battery. This has been , by far, the most durable and reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Fantastic truck!

Dana 44 rear-end, body on frame, good towing capacity and great off-road.

Needed cup holders.

Runs like new at 168,000 miles
By PC

1997 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 1997 V6 Isuzu Rodeo with 108,000 miles on it. Currently I am at 168,000 miles and it runs perfectly. I change the oil every 3,000 miles and it doesn't use any oil between changes. I've replaced the starter and alternator and brakes. Runs great on the highway as well as in town. I run BF Goodrich All Terrain tires on it and have pulled quite a few vehicles out of snow drifts. I think the only complaint I have is the frail design of the cup holder. The body has no rust and the finish of the paint still looks new. This truck is my daily driver and I'm curious to see how many miles I can put on it. 200,000 miles will be no problem.

The engine. Drives like a dream. Body style looks rugged with the right kind of tires.

Redesign the cup holder.

GREAT SUV FOR $$
By Matt

1997 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4dr SUV 4WD

You get 1-2 mpg more if you leave the A/c button off. Great car to drive, wonderful A/C & heater for the front. Not so good in the back especially in cold weather. Great 4WD & no problems with that at all. I had to replace the rear differential only because the dealership I was taking it to wasn't checking the rear differential and of course claimed no responsibility even though I had the paperwork showing they had done 97% of all the engine & oil change work. With close to 180,00o miles I'm going to turn it in for a newer model under the klunker deal. Good luck!

Rear cargo hatch;folding back seat; six change CD player; great engine that keeps on going. It does drink some oil ever so often, but I love it.

The improved cup holder is good, but could be even better. Better padding in seats for comfort, better heating in rear seats.

Great truck
By kdbanks

1997 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4dr SUV

I've had this Rodeo for going on 9 years, and have not had a single mechanical problem. It drives great, the engine is perfect (mechanics comment on it all the time), and is fun to drive. Not the best gas mileage, but it is an SUV. Highly recommend!

Fun to drive, great engine.

Better gas mileage.

Very good, reliable truck
By Mikhail

1997 Isuzu Rodeo S 4dr SUV

I've owned this truck for about 7 years and had no major issues of any kind. Just general maintenance, brakes, etc. Please do not save money on oil and this car may run for up to 200000 miles. Mine has approx 140000 miles, my friend has Trooper with over 200000 miles and it is still going strong. Use Castrol synthetic blend 5w/30 for your high mileage Isuzu truck.

Cup holders, fuel economy, road noise