1996 Isuzu Rodeo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rodeo model:
265,000+miles and still going
By Florida Rodeo on 11/17/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4dr SUV

I have had my 96 Rodeo for 5 years and it has 265,122 miles on it, I have had the basic problems to fix(brakes, alternator, battery, gaskets, tires) basic wear and tear and a new clutch at about 200,000 so not too bad. I love it, I would buy another one right now but never a manual, I hate not having cruise control. The basic edition is very basic, no thrills, but will always go where you need her to go.

An Amazing Vehicle
By Greg on 09/10/08 12:49 PM (PDT)

1996 Isuzu Rodeo S V6 4dr SUV

Bought this 1996 Rodeo for my daughter in 1998 since then she has moved on to a newer car and I have taken over the rodeo. When I took over the Rodeo I resolved to not put any money into the car and I haven't. At 203,000 the car just keeps going, and going. It will run 89 mph + all day long, always starts, I have loaded in down with 200 pounds of lumber and driven 400 miles no problem. The radio sound is great, good base from the rear speakers good highs from the front speakers. A/C is still ice cold with no servicing. I'm worried now as to what I'm going to replace in with when it finally dies.

Excellent vehicle... robust & durable!
By TimK on 07/10/08 09:19 AM (PDT)

1996 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Low resale value makes this superb vehicle an excellent used car buy. We own a 1992 Isuzu Trooper S with the same engine. Its strength has been unbelievable, on two continents! I expect similar performance & reliability from our new (used) 1996 Isuzu Rodeo LS (4WD). For anyone who hasn't examined these Isuzu Rodeos, you're in for a pleasant surprise. Their frames are like tanks, engines over-built, and they ride smoothly & predictably over rough terrain. They tow loads like nobody's business. Example? We just towed this 4,000+ pound Isuzu Rodeo on a #2,000 trailer total weight (#6,000+) with our Isuzu Trooper for 500 miles over mountainous terrain with no problem. Superb performance.

Pretty Good Car
By Jim on 07/03/08 09:27 AM (PDT)

1996 Isuzu Rodeo S V6 4dr SUV

It has been great bought it with 75,000 miles and now have 162,000 miles on it. Only replaced alternator and starter. Everything else standard maintenance. Only in the last years have cosmetic interior issues arisen. Power windows and locks failing. Paint just now rubbing off. Over all pretty good.

Love my Rodeo
By dgarodeo on 06/14/08 22:49 PM (PDT)

1996 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4dr SUV

Bought my '96 with 91K miles after much review and a short rental. I love the way this SUV handles tight with no top heavy feeling. I run Michelin tires and this always improve handling. I have replaced the alternator and starter, just normal wear and tear. Love the way the Japanese make rubber parts to last and last. At 12 years old this is still one clean and sharp truck. I would buy another in a minute and recommend to all. Truck has an odd oil reading, constantly 1 quart low but no reason? I have had my mechanic comment this is the same with all Rodeos and I have no related problems. Head gaskets haven't been super tight since purchase but they are hanging in there just fine.

i hate this car
By ihatethiscar on 09/04/07 20:22 PM (PDT)

1996 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had this car for around 1 1/2 years and it just seems to get worse and worse. At just less than 97k miles,the fuel economy is terrible. No matter how easily you drive it, it gets an unacceptable 12-14 in town and 16-17 on the freeway. A tune up didnt help and no mechanic has any reason for it. The interior is falling apart. The cigarette lighter stopped working, a riser motor had to be replaced, the power locks are starting to go out, and one of the door handles just about falls out when you pull it to open. also, it has gone through two starters in about 25k miles, left me stranded at school and camping, and the oil has to changed every few hundred miles with no sign of a leak.

The best vehicle I've owned
By jimmyk74 on 03/07/06 18:41 PM (PST)

1996 Isuzu Rodeo S V6 4dr SUV 4WD

My 1996 Isuzu Rodeo is the best vehicle I've owned, Its fun to drive and handles great. I have only owned for about a year now, but the only problem i had is to put a new rear end in it because the previous owner had a seal leak and never got it fixed. Other than that just oil change, brakes, battery and alternator. It is a sporty good looking little truck with lots of power.

nice... except
By sdim66 on 06/06/05 23:58 PM (PDT)

1996 Isuzu Rodeo S V6 4dr SUV

Great looking SUV. A little bouncy and sloppy handling, but a nice ride and good power. Nice interior quality overall. Seats were not very comfortable for me. Although they are better than a CRV (IMO). Problems - valve gaskets leaked (which I repaired myself; sounds easy enough but it's a hassle). It was leaking somewhere else too. I think around the transmission or possibly the rear main seal. When took it to get new tires put on, Firestone had problem getting the lug nuts off. In the process of removing the lug nuts they were stripped; how that could happen I do not know. If it weren't for the troubles I would have kept it. Thought about a 2001, but they are worse.

Missouri Rodeo
By Love My Rodeo on 04/23/05 11:51 AM (PDT)

1996 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4dr SUV

I love my Rodeo. I have had very little bad experience in the 2 years I have had it. I love to drive it. I do a lot of road trips and it has been great for them.

Bought New, Has Never Let Me Down
By whissend on 08/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it new in '96. Since then, it has never let me down, ever. Sure, I've had to replace all the normal parts that wear (battery, alternator, gaskets, CV joints, etc.) but overall the engine has held up. I have towed many heavy items for long distances. Typical grips with Isuzu: power window motor needed replacing, power locks needed replacing, small plastic inside finally gave up, etc. Only major dislike is road noise on highways.