Used 1993 Isuzu Rodeo SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Isuzu Rodeo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rodeo model:

AMPHIBIOUS MACHINE
By nikolio

1993 Isuzu Rodeo SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had my Rodeo for 8 years, it has 192,000 miles on it. My dad wanted me to get rid of it a long time ago and buy something more economical, but I decided I would drive it into the ground, and I'm having a hard time killing it! So far I've replaced the alternator twice in it; it's in a tricky location near the bottom of the engine block so it gets gooked up with anything that drips on it from above. There have been other minor fixes that can be expected for a 17 year old car, but seeing as I originally paid $5,000 for it, it has been an unbelievable value, and I'm glad I didn't take my dad's advice because I have had so much fun in it over the years.

Favorite Features

This thing PLOWS through snow, the 4WD is unbelievable. I've even taken it through some streams and rivers, it handles some mean terrain, while it also drives very nicely on the freeway. I also think it's just plain sexy, even though it's 17 years old.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders? Also, the way the wipers are set up is kind of funky, pushing those buttons is a little obnoxious.

1993 Rodeo LS 4WD still running strong
By John

1993 Isuzu Rodeo SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 93 Rodeo LS 4WD in 95 with 70,000 miles on it. It now has 199,930 miles on it (as of 8-4-09). I've maintained it faithfully and other than normal wear and tear repairs (rubber hose, brakes, etc) I have not had any major repairs needed on it. I upgraded the suspension with CALMINI offroad 3" lift about 11 years ago, and even with the added stress on the driveline from the modified suspension, it still runs like a champ. Now, I use it mostly for off-roading and it has impressed other offroaders who were amazed that I was able to keep up with them on some of the more challenging trails. The body style is still attractive and it's perfect sized SUV, not too small, not too big.

Favorite Features

Reliable dependable engine and transmission!! Swing-out spare tire, Winter Mode in the transmission, fold down rear seat (making the back area big for hauling stuff). I actually like the small triangular swingout front windows.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Solid
By takehikes

1993 Isuzu Rodeo SUV S 4dr SUV

Bought new, changed out a couple alternators and finally at 205k blew a head gasket other than that only regular maintenance. Don't sell the 2.6 liter 4 cylinder short, she runs forever.

Favorite Features

engine

Most reliable car I have ever owned
By irishman

1993 Isuzu Rodeo SUV LS 4dr SUV

I have had this car for 9 years and will continue to drive it until the wheels fall off, and that may be another nine years. I just use it to commute to work and haul stuff around and it has required nothing but routine maintenance.

Favorite Features

Fold down backseat.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders.

It's been good to us
By melissa

1993 Isuzu Rodeo SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD

We've had our car for six years. It now has 84,000 miles and still going. The maintenance hasn't been that bad; the one main was that recall that we paid for, something that was leaking on the engine. It cost us 400 dollars or so. We had the timing belt replaced and the brakes. The car rides a bit harsh and i know it's not a sports car but I wish that it wouldn't take so long to get to 25 mph. Our car is standard. Anyway we will probably keep driving it till it dies.

Suggested Improvements

The lug nuts problem; we have to check them every now and then and make sure they are all there or else our tire might come off.