Eighteen years and still going strong!
By RKB in Alabama on
1991 Isuzu Rodeo XS 4dr SUV 4WD
Bought it with 8 miles on it. Leather seats were added by the dealer-that hooked me! I have loved this vehicle, and it still runs great! While lacking features that newer models included, it was a design ahead of its time. Repainted after 8 years, all other maintenance issues have involved normal wear during 18 years and 245K miles. It has never left me dead in the road, EVER! Worst mpg: 17, running the AC, all in-town driving. Best: 24, on trips w/o AC, and at less than 65 mph. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it to CA tomorrow. I'd planned to just run it until it dies, now at <10K mi. a year. But with the new Cash for Clunkers program, it's worth up to $4500 if traded in. I can't decide.
Favorite Features
Beautiful design when introduced in the summer of 1990. Strongest towing for any six cylinder I've ever seen. Great gas mileage for truck-based SUV. The transmission's Winter Mode was novel and useful during rare Alabama ice storms. It was a lot of car for the money at the time, and served me well.
Suggested Improvements
This is a moot point, since all deficiencies were corrected in later models and Isuzu has since departed the American market.