Used 2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport

View reviews for a specific Rodeo Sport model:

best liitle SUV ever!
By aquarianstag70

2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport S V6 Soft Top 2WD 2dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

i got this little monster 2 1/2yrs ago with 52000miles on it and still loving it since that very day i took this out from the dealership. its really fun to drive and good looking SUV. took it for 1300miles long drive and there was never been a problem. looks a little bit deceiving 'coz size-wise its smaller, but with a 3.2 V6 engine somebody will eat my little monster's dusts. did all the maintenance by myself from oil change, air filters, sparkplugs, coolant and tire rotations and everything works perfect. the gas mileage ratio is just 18miles a gal, but who cares about it if you're loving it. i'll keep this little monster the next 3 years.

Favorite Features

two moonroofs just clear the sky for me and with the big all terrain tires, feels like driving a rock crawler. remove the hardtops during summer and it looks really great!

Truck based SUV
By Tommy

2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport S V6 Hard Top 2WD 2dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have driven this for 3 years now and I absolutely love it. In FL we have lots of summer rain storms where having a truck-based SUV comes in handy. It accelerates like no other SUV I have ever driven (Power speed button at your finger tip). The HP is amazing. The removable sunroofs are the best feature. Don't buy a girly car based SUV like a CR-V. Buy an Isuzu Rodeo Sport. I have driven my in laws CR-V several dozen times and it simply does not compare. I have have done nothing but routine maint. in 3 years of ownership.

Favorite Features

Dual, removable sunroofs. Rear-wheel drive for driving in monsoon Florida rainstorms. Overall simplicity of the vehicle and the engine. This is a truck like none other on the road. Assembled in the USA in Indiana by real Americans.

Suggested Improvements

The gas tank could be bigger. I get around 21 mpg, but with the super-small gas tank it feels like I take way too many trips to the gas station.

Excellent except for gas mileage
By Steve A

2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport S V6 Hard Top 4WD 2dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 02 Rodeo Sport last Jan. to replace my '94 Jeep Cherokee Sport. What a difference in foul weather. With the Jeep, as soon as the snow fell it had to go into 4WD and didn't come out until spring. With the Isuzu I've only had to use 4WD twice and that was cause I was playing around. I do miss the manual tranny of the jeep but that's about it. Otherwise I've had a few minor issues. On the way to work one day the tranny started slipping and popping. Luckily it was only a small cracked gasket which puked out all the tranny fluid. $180 and back on the road. Otherwise just the driver's side window which likes to rock forward when closing.

Favorite Features

The winter driving button is kinda trick. Works really well for launching from the random super icy intersection instead of having to bump it into 4wd. Suspension is great. Really doesn't bounce you around like a truck normally does. Very little body roll when driving aggressively.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage!! The best I've seen is 16 mpg. I average around 12-14 and drop as low at 8-10 in the winter. Warranty support: There are no dealers in my neck of the woods so if I need warranty work I'd have to ship it a couple hundred miles across state. Friendlier "removable" hardtop

Unique and innovative
By blackburndad

2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport S V6 Soft Top 2WD 2dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

As an automotive technician, I have to say I am still impressed by this vehicle, even after being the original owner for over 4 years. Love this truck and love Isuzu.

Favorite Features

By-wire throttle. 4-Wheel ABS. Power drive mode (optimizes shifting control for maximum torque to the rear wheels, essentially turning this mini SUV into a pocket-rocket). Winter drive mode (optimizes shifting for maximum grip on icy roads, essentially eliminating rear wheel spin).

Suggested Improvements

4 wheel drive standard instead of optional. Body colored soft top instead of black. Power folding soft top. HID headlights.

Sports SUV
By sports suv

2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport S V6 Hard Top 4WD 2dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

This SUV has massive towing for its size, hard to put the trailer on with the spare. It gets great gas mileage while towing a trailer, almost as good as without. Designed to tow.

Favorite Features

Towing capacity, size, on the fly 4wd.

Suggested Improvements

Swing spare tire carrier.