Used 1992 Isuzu Pickup Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Isuzu Pickup - Consumer Reviews

1992 Isuzu Pickup

View reviews for a specific Pickup model:

Most Helpful|
Great Little Truck
By John

1992 Isuzu Pickup S 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I bought it right off the showroom and I've only seen one like it in the fourteen years since. I needed a four wheel drive for use on my property in Tennessee. Had to have it to climb up my road. It handled the snow and mud up there and the sand and water down here in Florida. It made two or three trips a year between the two states until I bought something newer a few years ago. I still love driving it around the city and when it floods during storm season, I'm always the one who can get through to pick you up. Only problems have been the paint (re-painted it twice)and the exhaust system (had to replace pipes and muffler three times).

Favorite Features

I love how it sits up high compared to most early import trucks. It has classic lines and never goes out of style. The V-6 has a ton of low-end torque and will pull almost anything out of the mud at idle plus a bit in four-wheel low. I like the center fold down armrest and the side-wing windows.

Suggested Improvements

I'd like to see them do a better factory paint job and maybe figure out how to keep the exhaust pipes from rusting out so fast. Other than those two things, I like everything else about this truck. It's a keeper. (I mean that...I sold it once and bought it back the next year).

good old truck
By Southwest Guy

1992 Isuzu Pickup LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I drive this truck back and forth to work and the only problem was starter got weak after 145000 miles. My Dad has the new one built by GM and it is not half the truck this is.

Favorite Features

more room than new s10 style

Suggested Improvements

go back to this dependable style and dont let GM build trucks for them

Best Vehicle I have ever Owned
By Bluewater

1992 Isuzu Pickup S 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Best most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Just gave it to my son. If it survives him, it will survive anything. If I knew what I knew now, I would have bought three of them at the time. No longer available and hard to find. Fun to drive. Engine has lots of power. No complaints.

Favorite Features

Looks good inside and out. Engine is tough, strong and gets great mileage. 5 speed trans is excellent. Great wing windows and even the stock radio sounds great.

Suggested Improvements

None. Too bad they quit making them.

Underrated!
By FlyBag?

1992 Isuzu Pickup S 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have had a great experience with this truck. I bought it in 1996 with 42K. The only problem I had was a head gasket and radiator, which I never changed the fluid in. I changed the oil every 3K and filled the gas tank and that was it. It has 139K now and I crashed it. All body damage but I got my money worth, I paid $5,000 in '96. Totally underrated truck.

Favorite Features

Gas economy. Dependability.

Suggested Improvements

Parts availability. When I had to replace a minor part, it was hard to find.

Great Value!
By Keith

1992 Isuzu Pickup S 2dr Regular Cab SB

Purchased the truck in Feb. '93 on a close out of 1992 vehicles. Told the dealer I was only going to drive it for a year or two and trade it in. 14 years later haven't given it up. Low maintenance required, mpg average 25-30 depending on gas in your area. Over 14 years have replaced front brakes four times (use dealer pads won't have this problem), back brakes still have 40% of pads left, heater core, three sets of tires, new set of shocks, rear leaf spring bushings (due to heavy load levels), timing belt at 90K recommended at 60k, and will be replacing mixture control valve to even out idle and reduce carbon emissions. All work able to be done by average home mechanic. Highly recommend the truck

Favorite Features

Miles per gallon, low maintenance, affordability, low cost of ownership/maintenance, dependability, awkward smiles it puts on my friends faces when they see me pull up and ask me to help them out again. Often followed by how much would you sell that thing for? 140K miles of trouble free use.

Suggested Improvements

Front brakes, lower cost for replacement parts and availability as another reviewer indicated.