Used 1997 Isuzu Oasis Minivan Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Isuzu Oasis Minivan - Consumer Reviews

1997 Isuzu Oasis Minivan

View reviews for a specific Oasis model:

average at best
By Roger

1997 Isuzu Oasis Minivan LS 4dr Minivan

Worst thing about this car was the brakes. They had to be changed every 20000 miles. Car always sounded like a train coming to a stop. Burned up tires quickly too. Leaked quite a bit of oil. Had quirky electrical problems like windows and door locks not working. At one point the driver had to roll down the window and reach out to open the door from the outside. Used to hit my head on the tailgate when it was open. Road noise was a bit loud.Other than that we had the car for ten years and 152000 miles. Sold it when the exhaust manifold cracked.

In spite of lack luster performance, the engine always started when we turned the key. Never had to be towed which is better than I can say for my Isuzu (3 times) We also towed a small trailer on vacations and it handled like it wasn't there.

Not sure what to say. I didn't hate this car but I can't understand why there are so many of them on the road today (Honda actually) The rest of my family drives Dodge Caravans and get over 200 k without problems. Honda must have a great marketing stategy.

Loved our Oasis
By Warren

1997 Isuzu Oasis Minivan LS 4dr Minivan

We put 220,000 miles and only did recommended maintenance. The mechanic that services it said 300k miles was possible with very little expense. It is the mini-van that will not die!

Reliability, functionality

None needed

Oasis was a great van
By Catherine

1997 Isuzu Oasis Minivan S 4dr Minivan

We bought our Oasis new and are only selling it because my mom wants it now. We have enjoyed the features and reliability of this car; in fact, it was never into the dealer until it was 8 years old, and then it was for a recall problem that manifested itself by the car dying rather inconveniently. The only other problem was the automatic window opener thing required repair when a bolt fell out. We only put 83,000 miles on it but I know it would have put up with a lot more abuse if we had kept it longer!

Loved the tumble down rear seat. Loved the size. We have had small garages and the size has been perfect. We replaced it with a Mazda MPV which is as close as we can come to the Oasis. We don't need no stinkin' SUV! Oh, and the Oasis hauled 7!

Too late ... they only made the van for 3 years!

Oasis is the Honda Odyssey
By Ohio John

1997 Isuzu Oasis Minivan S 4dr Minivan

This Izusu mini-van is the same
vehicle as the Honda counterpart. The
joint venture allowed Honda to market
the Izusu Rodeo as the Passport. In
turn Izusu marketed the Odyssey as the
Oasis. It's the same vehicle!!! If you
are looking for a used Odyssey don't
rule out the Oasis. They are not as
easy to find, but just as reliable as
any Honda product.

Very functional for the family on the run. Easy to drive and I love the fact that the doors open like regular car doors. (One less mechanical problem to worry about.) Gas mileage is not bad, 20+.

The ride is not like a sedan, but with the kids talking and carrying on who cares. I bought it for the practicality, not the comfort.

Reliability Plus!
By karen brandon

1997 Isuzu Oasis Minivan S 4dr Minivan

This has been the most reliable vehicle
I have owned. I have not had to do any
work on this van, beyond regular
maintanance, and I have driven almost
110,000. This is very important to me
after having owned vehicles that were
always in the shop and breaking down!

My kids love the back seats that one
can adjust to recline and the over
head, behind the front seat rear air
and heat contols! I can control the
rear from the drivers seat, if
necessary! The 3rd seat flips into the
floor, which is great after dealing
with other mini vans ... and taking
heavy awkward seats in and out. We
like the regular car back doors, too.
Sliders never seem to work well ...

Back seat riders are able to be so comfortable! The interior features make for flexible configurations. I wish this size mini van was still being built by Honda!

Rear most windows should have been designed to crack open for better air flow. The car could use a bit more power, but it works fine for all situations I have driven through.