Used 2006 Isuzu i-Series Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Isuzu I-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific i-Series model:

An example of failed marketing
By wolfman

2006 Isuzu i-Series Extended Cab i-280 S 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my truck at a used lot in Pittsburgh, TX. with 77k on the odometer. It needed a bit of work to address the previous owner's neglect, but has otherwise been a stellar performer. Most people whine incessantly about the "chintzy" interior. To them, I say go buy a car. I want my truck to hold up to getting dirty, and don't want crud to get embedded in soft squishy plastic. I seriously believe that these trucks never caught on as GM and Isuzu spent nothing to advertise them. How can people know that there is a good truck out there if they never heard of it? As it is a Colorado with a different grille, I just stop by my local Chevy dealership for service.

Favorite Features

Auto headlights, cruise control, fuel mileage similar to the S10 it replaced. Rear doors for extended cab.

Suggested Improvements

3.43 axle too tall for engine. Look for 3.73 axle if possible. Atlas engines needed better low end torque across the board if they are going to be saddled with that axle. GM should have fixed the HVAC fan switch problem common in their products long ago. Mine was bad at purchase.

Met Expectations
By Cedar

2006 Isuzu i-Series Extended Cab i-280 S 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Same parts as Colorado or Canyon. I added wheel guards and running board to keep the sheet metal from vibrating. Replaced front tires due to wear, wheel were out or alignment. After 18k it is still going. Difficulty finding local service.

Favorite Features

Color is nice, and drives good in rain. Good headlights.

Suggested Improvements

Need more support from dealer for service and preparation.

One year review
By nc guy

2006 Isuzu i-Series Extended Cab i-280 LS 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Nice truck, 15k miles of totally problem free driving, guess I can't complain. 25+ MPG, (one trip I got 30). It tows my Harley and open trailer pretty good. I have to drop it into 4th gear quite often while towing approx. 1,500 lbs on the highway. I am glad I chose this truck. It's a clone of the Colorado/Canyon and a better deal than a Colorado or Canyon. Much better price than Toyota. If you are looking for a truck, do yourself a favor and check out one of these!

Favorite Features

Automatic headlights, good gas mileage, roomy cab, styling, and a good ride. There is nothing too fancy. Just a simple, basic, rugged, well designed, reasonably comfortable, reliable truck.

Suggested Improvements

This truck is sold world wide as an Isuzu D-Max. It has a 3.0 liter inter- cooled turbo diesel. Offer this diesel as an option in the US!!!Put a darn key hole on the passenger door. You shouldn't have to buy the package with power locks and windows to get it.

A Colorado, only better warranty
By BlackIsuzu06

2006 Isuzu i-Series Extended Cab i-280 S 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Have two Mercedes, but looking for a small "run-around" truck, shopped used for 2 months. This is the best deal going and a great warranty to boot! We enjoy the truck, my wife especially enjoys riding in it. I like the 5 speed stick and small size.

Favorite Features

Manual transmission, good looks, great fuel economy, 6 foot bed and decent ride.

Suggested Improvements

I have manual locks, no key hole on passenger side! No body side molding. Dealer attention is poor.

Great truck, great price...
By RED

2006 Isuzu i-Series Extended Cab i-280 LS 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

In the days of struggling car makers and a struggling middle class it is hard to find an automobile that is reasonably priced, yet high quality. Isuzu has done well with their launch of the I series. Yes the interior quality lacks and the performance isn't up to par, but gas mileage is great and the cab is spacious. My i280 didn't come with keyless entry or a car alarm; however, theft is easily deterred with the utilization on GM's passlock system and I'm getting used to using my key to open the door. All in all it is worth the price. At less than $17,000 (not including trade) it is highly recommended. I am highly pleased with this truck. Advice? See it for yourself.

Favorite Features

Smooth riding suspension, CD/MP3 player, cruise control. I love the rear opening doors for the extended cab.

Suggested Improvements

Make reclining driver and passenger seats standard, left foot rest on the drivers side, move the cruise control to the steering wheel instead of the turning signal lever and a bit more room in the rear of the cab.