Used 2006 Isuzu i-Series i-280 S Consumer Reviews - 5 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Isuzu i-Series - Consumer Reviews

2006 Isuzu i-Series

View reviews for a specific i-Series model:

An example of failed marketing
By wolfman

2006 Isuzu i-Series i-280 S 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my truck at a used lot in Pittsburgh, TX. with 77k on the odometer. It needed a bit of work to address the previous owner's neglect, but has otherwise been a stellar performer. Most people whine incessantly about the "chintzy" interior. To them, I say go buy a car. I want my truck to hold up to getting dirty, and don't want crud to get embedded in soft squishy plastic. I seriously believe that these trucks never caught on as GM and Isuzu spent nothing to advertise them. How can people know that there is a good truck out there if they never heard of it? As it is a Colorado with a different grille, I just stop by my local Chevy dealership for service.

Auto headlights, cruise control, fuel mileage similar to the S10 it replaced. Rear doors for extended cab.

3.43 axle too tall for engine. Look for 3.73 axle if possible. Atlas engines needed better low end torque across the board if they are going to be saddled with that axle. GM should have fixed the HVAC fan switch problem common in their products long ago. Mine was bad at purchase.

Met Expectations
By Cedar

2006 Isuzu i-Series i-280 S 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Same parts as Colorado or Canyon. I added wheel guards and running board to keep the sheet metal from vibrating. Replaced front tires due to wear, wheel were out or alignment. After 18k it is still going. Difficulty finding local service.

Color is nice, and drives good in rain. Good headlights.

Need more support from dealer for service and preparation.

A Colorado, only better warranty
By BlackIsuzu06

2006 Isuzu i-Series i-280 S 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Have two Mercedes, but looking for a small "run-around" truck, shopped used for 2 months. This is the best deal going and a great warranty to boot! We enjoy the truck, my wife especially enjoys riding in it. I like the 5 speed stick and small size.

Manual transmission, good looks, great fuel economy, 6 foot bed and decent ride.

I have manual locks, no key hole on passenger side! No body side molding. Dealer attention is poor.

Truck Fever
By REA

2006 Isuzu i-Series i-280 S 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

I "had" to have a small truck (extra vehicle), but prices for used Rangers or S-10/Colorados were in the $12K to 14K range. Bought this beauty (it's actually a Colorado) for under $14,000 with a 7 year power train and 36 month/50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. Great deal for me!

It has everything I wanted in a truck except outside thermometer and compass. Especially like the half-sized rear doors. Mileage (in the mid 20s) is great for a 175 hp 4 cylinder.

Needs a keyhole on the passenger side door, key only works on drivers side?

I-280 base model
By bishopcharles

2006 Isuzu i-Series i-280 S 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

4 cylinder has surprising power in 5th gear at 70+mph for passing. I think this is due to the fact that this engine gets to its torque maximum at 2800 RPM; other 4 cylinders don't reach peak torque until you wind up the engine to 4500 to 5000. I drove it up very steep gravel roads in ice and snow and even though it is 2WD it had good traction. Best truck for the price.

I like the handling at high speeds, bench seat, good visibility and heavy duty vinyl floor. Cab is very roomy.