Used 2002 Isuzu Axiom Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Isuzu Axiom - Consumer Reviews

2002 Isuzu Axiom

View reviews for a specific Axiom model:

You could do much worse
By KingMikey

2002 Isuzu Axiom 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Honestly, I had this car for 7 years and 105K before my wife totaled it last week and with the exception of an AC compressor a year or two ago, the vehicle was flawless. I towed a 3500lb boat and it was perfect. Even with the 2WD model the limited slip system never got me stuck at a boat ramp or anywhere else. And it always had plenty of power to tow that boat. Fuel efficiency was always a problem whether towing or not though.

Favorite Features

Acceleration...Acceleration...Acceleration...Nice Turning radius too!

Suggested Improvements

Bouncy ride and Awful gas mileage.

7 years and still going strong
By Frankie

2002 Isuzu Axiom 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it new 8/02. Seven years, 60k miles now. Regular maintenance service (oil changes,air filter). Replaced the s-belt myself @ 45k miles. No other service. New BF Goodrich tires @ 50k miles.On the way to tire dealer, just to see what power this 6cyl had I held the brake, put the pedal to the floor, slowly released the brake and smoked the tires for 200 ft. Avg 18.1 mpg since day one. Haven't reset since I bought it. Too bad Isuzu pulled out of US. I definitely would have bought another by now. Traded in a '97 Rodeo (bought new, had 137000 miles on it in 5 years, zero repairs) for this one.

Favorite Features

The adjustable shocks, self dimming mirror, the auto-climate control-the fact that I don't have to reset the outside air option each time I start car, unlike most vehicles, huge cargo area with/without folding down the seats, info screen (compass, clock, mpg info-ahead of of its time) overall look.

Best SUV you will ever own!
By Luc

2002 Isuzu Axiom 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

4 years and the only repair was a tuning light bulb! Replace the factory Good Years and the ride quality will improve. I got a set of Pirelli Scorpion ATR - 80 miles/hour and you can hear only a little wind noise! Gas mileage is average, but OK for an SUV - I will say better than most SUVs with same engine size. If you are looking for a used SUV, this will beat by far any other used SUV available in value/reliability/price!

Favorite Features

Ride, power, being safe and known that I will get where I want without problems.

Suggested Improvements

Discontinued - too bad, the only suggestion is to make them again. How about a hybrid version?

The Truth
By The Truth

2002 Isuzu Axiom 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Great truck, but only flaw is how the material used, such as paint and trim; they somewhat fade and come loose. Great overall truck, great bang for the buck!

Favorite Features

Style, gas mileage (for the year, 2002). I love the quiet ride.

Suggested Improvements

Clear coat on paint.

A Must Have!
By AxLoVe

2002 Isuzu Axiom 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I wanted a truck, but I came across the Axiom, it surprised me; average gas mileage but real fun to drive. I recommend it for anyone.

Favorite Features

Front display, body style, comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Make more Axioms!