Used 2002 Isuzu Axiom Consumer Reviews - 149 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Isuzu Axiom - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Axiom model:

Purchased my Axiom XS new in 2002 & still love it!
By Mike Matt

2002 Isuzu Axiom XS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My son and I will never sell this car, its a tank & it may never die! I have 142K miles and had the transmission rebuilt last year for $2200 and the radiator replaced. My biggest critique - the back end slips with poor road conditions, rain or snow. I only have rear-wheel drive - I should have spent the extra $2K for 4WD.

Fan of Isuzu
By texasheart

2002 Isuzu Axiom XS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my '02 Axiom used in '05 with 12K miles on it.
She now has 110K miles and is still going strong.
She looks cool, is a great road trip car because she's so comfortable and has been completely reliable.
I don't take exceptional care of my vehicles, but she keeps on going without any complaints or major issues.
I'm the type of person who trades up every 3 years, but I've had this car for 5 and intend to keep her for a long time.

My first Isuzu was an Amigo and I'd still have it if I didn't let it run out of oil.
Oops.
My Axiom was the replacement.

My favorite feature of my Axiom is the comfort. She's great for road trips and has plenty of cargo space. I've driven her cross country twice. This isn't a cheaply built vehicle.

Periodically, the key will not turn all the way back preventing me from pulling it out due to some sort of solenoid issue. I've had it fixed once, but it started doing it again. She doesn't offer a smooth ride. I just put brand new shocks on her thinking it would help, but it didn't. It's just a characteristic of the vehicle according to what I've read from other posters.

Mixed Emotions....
By brantm21

2002 Isuzu Axiom XS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Had this car for a family vehicle. It was reliable, yes. And it was comfortable, yes. It's hard to put into words but it was just awkward to drive. I did like the ability to stiffen the suspension but it still handled horribly. I loved the interior personally. The sunroof was a nice touch. Never had a problem with it mechanically. Drove it probably 15k Highway miles all over this beautiful USA country.

Leather Interior, Sunroof, Ability to tighten up suspension, Realiable.

Well they no longer make this anymore. Only improvement I can say is to update the chassis. It was the same Rodeo chassis.

had my axiom for 5 years
By Trish

2002 Isuzu Axiom XS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

One thing that I loved about the axiom was the outside design. But don't let that fool you. I have had nothing but troubles with this SUV from the transmission, to the electrical, and the list continues. I am very disappointed in Isuzu and will never by one again. Plus on top of all the problems the parts are hard to find and real expensive. To make matter worst this car bounces like crazy no matter what I've done. Buyer beware!

outside of vehicle

Improve the shocks and electrical system. NO wonder Isuzu left the US, they made a terrible vehicle.

Beware!
By bmprigge

2002 Isuzu Axiom 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this car for a little over two years and it is in the shop again for a blown engine. The last time, it had an issue with the engine and it completely seized, this time a rod shot through the block. It's a pain having to have it in the shop so often (I had to get a new transmission in it about 6 months ago) but I can't bring myself to trade it in because I LOVE DRIVING IT!! I would say that if you can find one, buy it (but make sure you get an extended warranty).

Its drivability and the fact that the cargo space is GREAT when everything is folded down.

Make my engine stop breaking.