2002 Isuzu Axiom - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Axiom model:
Fan of Isuzu
By texasheart on 05/02/11 13:46 PM (PDT)

2002 Isuzu Axiom XS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my '02 Axiom used in '05 with 12K miles on it. She now has 110K miles and is still going strong. She looks cool, is a great road trip car because she's so comfortable and has been completely reliable. I don't take exceptional care of my vehicles, but she keeps on going without any complaints or major issues. I'm the type of person who trades up every 3 years, but I've had this car for 5 and intend to keep her for a long time. My first Isuzu was an Amigo and I'd still have it if I didn't let it run out of oil. Oops. My Axiom was the replacement.

Mixed Emotions....
By brantm21 on 01/12/11 10:08 AM (PST)

2002 Isuzu Axiom XS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Had this car for a family vehicle. It was reliable, yes. And it was comfortable, yes. It's hard to put into words but it was just awkward to drive. I did like the ability to stiffen the suspension but it still handled horribly. I loved the interior personally. The sunroof was a nice touch. Never had a problem with it mechanically. Drove it probably 15k Highway miles all over this beautiful USA country.

had my axiom for 5 years
By Trish on 04/04/10 00:01 AM (PDT)

2002 Isuzu Axiom XS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

One thing that I loved about the axiom was the outside design. But don't let that fool you. I have had nothing but troubles with this SUV from the transmission, to the electrical, and the list continues. I am very disappointed in Isuzu and will never by one again. Plus on top of all the problems the parts are hard to find and real expensive. To make matter worst this car bounces like crazy no matter what I've done. Buyer beware!

Beware!
By bmprigge on 03/29/10 14:05 PM (PDT)

2002 Isuzu Axiom 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this car for a little over two years and it is in the shop again for a blown engine. The last time, it had an issue with the engine and it completely seized, this time a rod shot through the block. It's a pain having to have it in the shop so often (I had to get a new transmission in it about 6 months ago) but I can't bring myself to trade it in because I LOVE DRIVING IT!! I would say that if you can find one, buy it (but make sure you get an extended warranty).

Ohio Axiom Driver
By Oh Axiom Driver on 10/12/09 11:56 AM (PDT)

2002 Isuzu Axiom XS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Overall I've been happy with my Ax. The ride is bouncy, and I had to replace my factory tires after 20k mile because I almost flipped it on an exit ramp. I put Pirelli's on it and wow, what difference. I've also had in the shop for transmission problems a couple times...oh and now that I've passed 100k in miles, I burn a quart of oil a week. This is known problem with the vehicle, but no one knows what to do about it.

Model prone to Frame Rust-through
By MA Axiom Driver on 07/01/09 04:32 AM (PDT)

2002 Isuzu Axiom XS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

02 Axiom with 85K miles. We live in central MA and driven by my wife who babies the car. Rear Trailing Arm/Stabilizer completely rusted off the frame. Completely unacceptable on today's car. Same frame as Rodeo and Honda Passport. Do NOT BUY this car until you physically check for frame rust and specifically on the rear trailing arms.

You could do much worse
By KingMikey on 06/18/09 12:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Isuzu Axiom 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Honestly, I had this car for 7 years and 105K before my wife totaled it last week and with the exception of an AC compressor a year or two ago, the vehicle was flawless. I towed a 3500lb boat and it was perfect. Even with the 2WD model the limited slip system never got me stuck at a boat ramp or anywhere else. And it always had plenty of power to tow that boat. Fuel efficiency was always a problem whether towing or not though.

Woah
By drivzgrlzcrz on 03/15/09 07:44 AM (PDT)

2002 Isuzu Axiom XS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I will start off by saying I am very picky about my ride, and I love this vehicle it caught my eye at first but to be fair I looked around the lot only to return to it and peek inside, this is when I turned into a kid. Sweet interior, I knew 2 minutes into my test drive I was hooked. This SUV is unique and I get loads of compliments, I was previously interested in the Scion lineup & the Element but this is so me. The engine sounds like a tuned up car in power drive, super fun. Yes the pass doors could open more, the ride is wobbly in comfort, & the steering around turns uses more muscle but try to find an SUV that is perfect.. There isn't one, but this is very close.

7 years and still going strong
By Frankie on 02/08/09 08:04 AM (PST)

2002 Isuzu Axiom 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it new 8/02. Seven years, 60k miles now. Regular maintenance service (oil changes,air filter). Replaced the s-belt myself @ 45k miles. No other service. New BF Goodrich tires @ 50k miles.On the way to tire dealer, just to see what power this 6cyl had I held the brake, put the pedal to the floor, slowly released the brake and smoked the tires for 200 ft. Avg 18.1 mpg since day one. Haven't reset since I bought it. Too bad Isuzu pulled out of US. I definitely would have bought another by now. Traded in a '97 Rodeo (bought new, had 137000 miles on it in 5 years, zero repairs) for this one.

Best SUV you will ever own!
By Luc on 10/18/08 08:13 AM (PDT)

2002 Isuzu Axiom 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

4 years and the only repair was a tuning light bulb! Replace the factory Good Years and the ride quality will improve. I got a set of Pirelli Scorpion ATR - 80 miles/hour and you can hear only a little wind noise! Gas mileage is average, but OK for an SUV - I will say better than most SUVs with same engine size. If you are looking for a used SUV, this will beat by far any other used SUV available in value/reliability/price!