Used 2006 Isuzu Ascender SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Isuzu Ascender SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ascender model:

Nightmare
By para333am

2006 Isuzu Ascender SUV S 7-Passenger 4dr SUV 4WD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our 2006 Ascender brand new. Granted the body is great. I was hit by a large work van which in a car would of sent me to the hospital, the truck held up well. The engine is a nightmare. We just paid it off and it has less than 115,000 miles on it but the engine has died completely. I am very upset since it was purchased new and well taken care of.. I will never buy another one again.. I will only purchase Honda or Toyota from now on.

High Maintenance
By wokeup

2006 Isuzu Ascender SUV S 7-Passenger 4dr SUV 4WD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Great looking and a great ride, but very poor mpg on highway 15. Also, at 70,000 mi it fell apart, new water pump, new alternator, stabler track problems, fuel gauge problems, window on passengers side leaks and exhaust leak. Not to mention normal maintenance of breaks and belts. Low initial price, but they make up for it later down the road on repair costs.

Color, roomy, smooth ride

Make more reliable, but that does not matter now, 2009 is the last year of production.

Real SUV no crossover!
By OHIO BOY

2006 Isuzu Ascender SUV S 7-Passenger 4dr SUV 4WD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

If you want a real SUV this a great car. The mileage is not great but it is a big SUV . Brakes are a problem on this SUV . The heat builds up and takes out the rotors. Put the better rotors on it.

Way it drives. Off road and touring is great with it.

Air leaks around the windows.

Bargain for a solid SUV
By John

2006 Isuzu Ascender SUV S 5-Passenger 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

A solidly built SUV at a great price is good choice for anyone who wants a basic utility vehicle. The engine is great, with lots of power and good gas mileage. Speaking of gas mileage, remember, if you live in a cold climate and have a lead foot, every SUV will eat gas, but GM's powerful engine lets you use a light foot and still get sufficient power. I average 19 mpg in everyday driving, 21 on the highway as long as you keep it below 80. That's probably as good as real-world results for most crossovers. So if what you want is a car that has more room, get a crossover. If you like to haul, tow and drive on dirt, these GMs are good choices, and the Isuzu has the best warranty (pre 2007).

In third gear, the power is fantastic. Tows a 4,000 pound boat easily (have to use 3rd gear if hilly or above 70).

Cabin is spartan. Door fit is plain bad. Rear seats don't fold all the way flat. Wish they had designed a 5 speed transmission for this remarkable engine rather than throwing their Corvette/Cadillac tranny in it which has no towing mode. Still, it's tried and true.

My Truck
By Rebecca

2006 Isuzu Ascender SUV S 7-Passenger 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I love this truck. I drove from Virginia to California and it was the most comfortable ride I have ever had. Even with towing a U-haul trailer this truck had no problems going up the mountain and was so easy to handle. I am a person who trades vehicles in every 2 years, I believe I will have this truck for a lot longer.

Everything.