Used 2005 Isuzu Ascender SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Isuzu Ascender - Consumer Reviews

2005 Isuzu Ascender SUV

View reviews for a specific Ascender model:

Lots of electrical probs starting at approx 80,000mi. Listed in order of failure: check engine light came on 'thermostat', speedometer, fuel gauge and oil pressure gauge at 105,000mi.
By mysuzuki

2005 Isuzu Ascender SUV Luxury 5-Passenger 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Dealer where I purchased the vehicle said none of the probs were covered under warranty because of the mileage. I called Isuzu corporate office and they said there is a "policy extension" on the fuel gauge to 120,000mi. The policy extension has a 'campaign number issued for it. " SB 13-04-S004 (fuel sensor).They referred me to another dealer who has ordered the part for the fuel gauge. However, they say the 'instrument cluster" needs to be replaced and it is not certain that the fuel gauge will work unless it is replaced and some or all of the probs may or may not work unless the instrument cluster is replaced. Footnote: A linkage part in the transmission shifted broke at approx 100,000mi

Favorite Features

I also have had issues with the a/c system since right after the warranty ran out. Not much good I can say about this vehicle at this time. It is the same vehicle as a Chevrolet Trailblazer. Had I know it was a GM product, I would never have bought it. I will never buy another one unless I know who manufactured it. Trailblazers have the same probs as mine.

Great Buy
By Gail ETaylor

2005 Isuzu Ascender SUV LS 5-Passenger Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Asscender. I love them its very dependable I have had this one soon to by 5 years other than regular maintenance only one shop repair has occurred in 5 years. This is the best SUV I have owned. I would recommend it to anyone.

Favorite Features

I love the way the it drives and handles Its able to go almost any where on snow or ice with little or no trouble. Thanks For making such a great car.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see my onstar work as it shows on TV. Onstar has left me stranded twice both times with flat tires.

Still love my Ascender after 5 years!
By FLAscenderDriver

2005 Isuzu Ascender SUV LS 5-Passenger Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

After 5 years and nearly 60K miles, I still love my Ascender. It looks good, tracks well, doesn't slide around on wet roads, is comfortable, and has plenty of power when needed for towing a trailer or just passing other vehicles. I love the Bose system stereo and 6 disc changer, the woodgrain dash and steering wheel, leather interior, and especially the dual seat heaters on colder evenings! It's been a reliable vehicle with only general maintenance/tire upkeep, and had to replace the shocks this Spring. Well made and comfy, just wish it got better mpg when gas was so pricey.

Favorite Features

Bose stereo, seat adjustments & lumbar, plenty of passing/towing power, lots of room, stability, seat heater

Suggested Improvements

Mine had the auto. mirror adjusters - saw someone else's didn't. Wish the 5-seater had option for the computer screen showing mpg, GPS, etc. Was only in the 7-psgr vehicle at the time.

Never Again!!
By bamaboy36863

2005 Isuzu Ascender SUV LS 5-Passenger Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been nothing but problems. First year we had it, AC motor went out and it took over a week to repair. Blower motor will start to weaken when AC runs for an extended period of time. Third year, speakers in rear and left front began working intermittently or not at all. At the same time the front passenger, rear driver side and hatch locks have worked intermittently. Both underneath panels under front seats where seat adjusters are located have broken loose due to inferior construction. We are NOT rough on this vehicle at all and it has not held up "cosmetically". Engine-wise, no problems, yet.

Favorite Features

275 HP; fold down back seats

Suggested Improvements

Better construction for locks, speakers, plastic under seats, AC system

I would buy a second one!!!
By sanabu

2005 Isuzu Ascender SUV Limited 7-Passenger 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

It is a real shame that Isuzu will no longer offer personal automobiles as of January 1, 2009. My 2005 Ascender Limited is probably one of the best buys I have completed based on value and acquisition. I wrote my first review on this car on 6/05. I liked the car then and now I just love it. 72000 miles later the truck still has that new feel. When it was brand new the radio broke and it was fixed by the dealer promptly. Other than that just standard maintenance. Everything works on this SUV. Last time I rated the mileage as a 5. Now I'm rating it as a 7 as the truck will usualy do between 18 to 20 miles per gallon which is not bad for the size of truck that I am driving. No complaints.

Favorite Features

It is loaded, the price, looks and its reliability!

Suggested Improvements

Truck has been discontinued but if you must know the cruise controls and windshield wipers controls should have had lights.