Used 2003 Isuzu Ascender Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Isuzu Ascender - Consumer Reviews

2003 Isuzu Ascender

View reviews for a specific Ascender model:

Most Helpful|
Great value
By Isuzu owner

2003 Isuzu Ascender LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This is truly a wonderful value. The LS is loaded with goodies I would never pay for and I got it for a steal at 25k,and low interest rate. The interior could use some dressing up, but for an active family the Ascender meets all my requirments. Not to many on the road and my wife is asked often about the SUV. Carbon Copy of Envoy, but lower cost and exterior is more appealing.

Favorite Features

Auto Climate control, fold down third row seating, powerful V6. Low Cost

Suggested Improvements

Gas Guzzler, I hope they make a hybrid.....

Piece of Junk
By djsiek

2003 Isuzu Ascender S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

It is a good thing Isuzu gives an extended warranty. You will need it. We have had one electrical problem after another. Because these problems are not the same in 3 or more cases we can not say this falls under the lemon laws of our state, but believe me we consider this car to be a lemon. The front passenger seat is extremely uncomfortable. The maximum gas mileage we have been able to get is 17mpg. Several exterior pieces are plastic and extremely easy to damage. Within 6 months of buying this vehicle started having squeaks that sound like loosing of hinges etc.. Do Not Buy an Isuzu Ascender if you are smart.

Favorite Features

It has more leg room than a Yukon or Tahoe Does not drive like truck

Suggested Improvements

Start over

Surprise!!!
By tix6174

2003 Isuzu Ascender LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Great vehicle!! Had already been looking at the Envoy XL and Trailblazer EXT, but didn't really care for the stylings of those. Stumbled across the Ascender here on Edmunds and discovered it was the same truck, so had to find one to test drive. What a difference!!! The GMC "felt" smaller inside and I don't like the look of the TB (plus there are hundreds around here). The ride was much better too! So for about $5000 less, I got a better warranty and up-level options (Limited minus leather), plus that great V8.

Favorite Features

5.3/327 V8 makes all the difference in the extended length. Full power seats (Driver and Pass) Mileage is slightly better than my Surburan I traded in.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy could still be improved. Suspension is just too mushy and car-like for my tastes - it's a truck people!

Should have known better...
By shumuzu

2003 Isuzu Ascender LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bought Ascender in Feb.'03 & was in the shop by March, and at least 6-8 times since. The a/c odors (could not sit in the car until we blew out the system with all the windows down.) Repaired 10/03,still smells. There are many interior parts inferior in quality. THe gear shifter came off in my hand, stearing wheel whines,plastic compartments won't shut/open properly, the radio/cd player has been replaced 1 time,& parts have again been ordered for a repair.The "old pick-up truck" rusty, screachy sound they can't seem to find. Although anyone riding in or near the car can here us coming!

Favorite Features

I liked it's looks from the outside.

Suggested Improvements

A buyer beware bulletin.

go for it
By csieka

2003 Isuzu Ascender S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We like this vehicle, however we have already had it in for repairs on the a/c switch. It is suposed to have a monitor for the life of oil, but the mechanic manager said we should change oil every 3,000 miles anyway. As front passenger sometimes the consule proved to be uncomfortable when traveling long distances. Overall we are still very pleased.

Favorite Features

Able to haul kids and friends. Increased power over a mini van. Great interior for every one and stylish looks over similar vehicles.

Suggested Improvements

Adjust consule for better leg room for front passenger. Driver has no where to rest arms. Plastic molding makes impossible to attach after market bicyle racks that attach to tailgate at top.